Red Dot on a Mark II 22 LR Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I would like to ask some advice and suggestions for mounting a Red Dot sight on my bull barreled, Mk II, 22 LR pistol. Because of aging eyes I have decided to mount a Red dot on my pistol and have already had my gunsmith drill. tap, and mount a picatinny rail on my barrel. My question is now, what is the best Red Dot Sighting system I can mount on my Ruger Mk II for 5 to 20 meter bullseye shooting. Some many types out there, it's confusing on dot size, shape, etc. Help please?

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
l1pXQpHh.jpg

Here's my setup on my Black Mamba. A C-More Railway. By the polymer one for around $240 and order it with a 3 minute dot.

You can order more modules from 3 to 16 minutes. I use a 12 for Steel Challenge normally but recently bought a 6 MOA module and shot pretty well with it.

I don't know if you're interested in a tube-style sight like the UltraDot, or a reflex-style, like the Burris Fastfire.

I own both, and am happy with them both. The Ultra Dot sights are more intuitive, for me. The FastFire is sure small/light, though.

Here's a page that might teach you a thing or two about red dots:

He's had much of the same basic info on this specific page for years. There's one quote at the bottom of the page that made a big first impression on me. The same basic quote has been there for years. It may or may not be "dated" advice, but it has stuck with me for all these years:

"On a positive note, in this game of bullseye shooting, I have seen more military shooters over the past 15 years at all of the big matches using the basic UltraDot model than any other sight - and without question, these guys are truly the pros of the sport."

Do you have astigmatism? If so, many of the lower cost dots will fuzz or not appear round which makes precise aiming difficult.
For range use only, a smaller dot is usually better. A smaller (2MOA) dot will be more precise than a 4MOA dot but will be harder to 'find' in a hunting scenario. I've had best results using a green dot on black bullseyes but this would be a personal thing. I'm assuming that competition would use black aiming points.
Do you expect to holster the pistol with mounted optic? I have a FOBUS Kydex holster that works with a 22/45 with mounted rail/dot.
I've found there are numerous dot optics that are good and some that are excellent. The 22/45 beater has a $40 dot on it that hasn't failed me. My 22/45 suppressor host has a Burris FastFire 3 that allows shooting in bright sun or evening shadows out past 100 yards. The 22/45 with attached rail supports a Burris FastFire 2 that has an auto adjusting brightness for the dot-works fine.
Open top or closed tube? Closed tube dots are easier to keep clean if you're carrying the pistol in a holster. Open tops are a bit (or a LOT)smaller/lighter and won't alter your pistol's balance(as much).
What I'm saying is: find a store front which has a variety and handle as many options as possible before making a choice. If the store is cooperative, you might be able to try fit the optic on your pistol to really get the feel of the set-up. Spending more $$ doesn't necessarily add to your satisfaction.

Papalote

Single-Sixer
What kind of mount do you have or what kind are you looking at? I am interested, I have one that I might want to mount a Burris fast fire on.

My beater 22/45 chore/trapline pistol dot sight is mounted using the rear sight dovetail. Seems fairly solid and has held up well to being used. If I was dedicated to this sort of optic, I'd either have the receiver D&T or look for a later model already D&T.
Downside of the factory top mounted rail is it's much longer than necessary for a RMR.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I have several Mark IIs, they are my favorite shooters. With my older eyes, I have fitted most of them with Williams Fire Sights. The one I haven't put the Fire Sights on is my 1985 Target model. That one I put a Burris FastFire III Red Dot on. The FastFire III is available with an 8 MOA dot, but I prefer the 3 MOA. The Burris mount uses the rear sight dovetail slot, making a very nice package.

Attachments

• 1985 Ruger Mark II Target with Burris FastFire III.jpg
    1985 Ruger Mark II Target with Burris FastFire III.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Fairly new to the red dot sight. I ended up with the Holosun circle/dot reticle sight on the Mark IV. Definitely a learning curve. I seem to do a lot better hitting steel and cans with it than shooting bullseye's or tight groups on paper.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
The red dot image on the web or picture for an ad is perfect, you will see a different shape, with or without glasses. Even the Eotech $500 will seem fuzzy, it's not the sight, it's your eyes.
Smaller the sight physical size, can be challenging to find the dot on a pistol (reflex sight).
MOA size of the dot, most are either 3 MOA or 5 MOA. Either on cover approximately 4" at 50 yards.
You can find one that fits your requirement for $80 Bushnell RXS-100 or $600 for AimPoint or Eotech. Check the weight and how you align to get on the target with the dot.

Last edited:
He's had much of the same basic info on this specific page for years. There's one quote at the bottom of the page that made a big first impression on me. The same basic quote has been there for years. It may or may not be "dated" advice, but it has stuck with me for all these years:

"On a positive note, in this game of bullseye shooting, I have seen more military shooters over the past 15 years at all of the big matches using the basic UltraDot model than any other sight - and without question, these guys are truly the pros of the sport."
I resemble that!
I shot am indoor pistol league where there was only one firing point with enough light to see iron sights. The opposing team seemed intent on not letting me use that firing point. A team member loaned me a mounting rail and an Ultradot. I was hooked for life!

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a Bushnell First Strike 2.0 for my 617. Same sight would work well on my 22/45s but I have 3 railways for them.

The dot is 3 MOA and is adjustable for brightness that brings it to a very small dot to a larger view.

For Bullseye go with a small dot. For Steel go with the largest you like. My C-Mores all have 12 MOA dots right now but I've played with 6 and 3 MOA modules.

Attachments

• 4 inch FS Right.jpg
    4 inch FS Right.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 63

chilidog

Single-Sixer
Is there here an advantage to any of the matchdot red dots? 30mm, 1 inch, matchdot II? Which one would you recommend for a mark II?
I never have used a red dot and I have the same problem most older people do, I can't see the sight like I used to.
Is there a better Reddot to look at?

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Is there here an advantage to any of the matchdot red dots? 30mm, 1 inch, matchdot II? Which one would you recommend for a mark II?
I never have used a red dot and I have the same problem most older people do, I can't see the sight like I used to.
Is there a better Reddot to look at?
I like Holosuns' with the circle and dot in the circle. For many older people (myself included) the red dots are not always sharp and clear, some time more like a bunch of grapes or a blob. it is what it is. The Holosun circle dot reticle does not do that(IMHO)

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
I bought a MkII Government model and someone had drilled and tapped mounting holes off about 20 degrees. That was a mess but, I mounted a pistol scope on it. Shoots like a rifle.