Red Dot for 44 mag super redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steveh326

Bearcat
woohoo, my first post...

My tired old eyes can't see the black sights very well any more. Thinking about one of those open red dots for my super redhawk. Debating between Burris Fastfire iii or Vortex Venom. Leaning heavily toward the Vortex. both have 3moa dots.

Primary use for the revolver is range use, but also thinking of taking it on a southern hog hunt sometime in 2018, and perhaps carry into the deer woods next year.

Anyone have any advice pro or con on these choices? Both are in the price range I had in mind, and both can use the Burris mount for the super redhawk for a nice low profile mount.

if I don't do the red dot, will definitely be doing fiber optics, probably the Williams Firesights.

thanks for any advice.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I like the idea of using a tube style red dot and keeping my irons in place. This one has since been fitted with lower Leupold rings and a Bowen front sight.

IMG_9454b.jpg

Yetiman

Bearcat
I tried the Burris FF3 (3moa) vs an Ultradot 30 (4moa), and I found I could acquire my target faster with the Ultradot and chose to stick with that for hunting use.

My SRH currently wears a Matchdot II which has an adjustable dot size (2moa for target use or 4-6 moa for hunting).

The FF3 when used with a mount that replaces the rear sight is a really slick, low profile setup.

S6eGUss.jpg

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I have the vortex venom on my Ruger super redhawk 44mag, use the wiegand mount and your set, took my first deer with it this year at 40 yrds , very happy with the venom red dot sight, it has kept it's zero through a lot after rounds since I installed it a year ago

steveh326

Bearcat
I thought I posted a thanks to everyone earlier this morning, but do not see it, probably user error...

thanks everyone for the replies. Based on the responses I am going with the Venom. Going to try it using the Burris mount for ultimate low profile. BUT... had no idea some of these red dots existed above... I especially like the matchdot II and am going to look into adding it to a pistol carbine I have.

Thanks everyone!

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
You've made a good choice, not familiar with the Burris mount, but wiegand make a mount specifically for the super redhawk, enjoy your new setup you won't be disappointed with the venom, very easy to sight in.