RED DOT & .45 Cal. 255 grain Penn

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Wasn't having much luck with this bullet, accuracy wise ( a 255 grain cast Penn bullet; SWC, Plain Base, .4525" diameter) in the Long Colt.

Was loading it in the Long Colt case with various charges of different powders in my Old Model .45 Blackhawk Convertible with 7 1/2" barrel. I've had both the .45 LC and the .45 ACP cylinders reamed to .452" by The Cylinder Smith.

I have a ton of .45 ACP brass around here so I decided to try this bullet in Federal brass (not nickle plated) ACP cases over various charges of RED DOT powder, of course, in the Blackhawk .45 ACP cylinder. I used CCI 300 Large Pistol Primers.

All loads were chronographed with a 3 year old "Chrony Master Alpha" Chronograph at 15 feet from the muzzle.

These loads are for your general interest only and I don't recommend anyone try to duplicate these loads in any .45 revolver other than the Ruger Blackhawk, a Freedom Arms SA, and others that are built specifically to handle higher pressure loadings than standard.

With 5.0 grains of Red Dot, average of 10 rounds clocked at 902.3 fps.
With 5.5 grains of Red Dot, average of 10 rounds clocked at 957.9 fps.
With 6.0 grains of Red Dot, average of 10 rounds clocked at 1005.0 fps. (With the last load, that's about 566 foot pounds of energy) .

I used a slight roll crimp on the bullets; just enough to keep the bullets from jumping forward under recoil but not so much as to affect headspace.

I had absolutely no problems with extraction with any of the loadings. Most of the spent cases just fell out of the cylinder. There was no indication of primer cratering, pierced primers, swollen cases, etc. or other obvious signs of high pressure.

I was surprised that accuracy was much better than I had anticipated given that I was having no luck with this bullet in the Long Colt case with lots of flyers.

Average groups were running 3" to 4" at 25 yards, and no flyers, with the above loads. Not great, but much better. I've recently (7 weeks ago) had rotator cuff surgery in my right shoulder (I'm right handed) so I was shooting with my left hand, cupped with my right hand, over a sandbag rest. So, I believe accuracy will be even better once I've healed from the surgery.

Rclark

Hunter
Thanks for posting!

In .45 Colt (NOT ACP) ... I found 7.0g Red Dot was a nice load for my BH under a 255g SWC. In a 5 1/2" barrel I got 948fps and an SD of 8.

Green Dot is another good powder for the .45 Colt. It is what I currently use for my goto loads.

I use Red Dot as my goto load in .357s (1000fps load) .

bigboredad

Blackhawk
6-6.5 with any bullet between 250-300grwill make you happy happy. In the colt not acp

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
How long did you wait for the bullets?
I really like the design of that one. I've never been a big fan of bevel bases. I want to try it in my H&R .45 Colt carbine.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
PO2, I've actually had these bullets since April, 2011; before all the shortages and panic buying set in.
At the time I ordered them, I can't remember for sure, but I believe I waited about 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
I expect you'd have a longer wait in the present environment.
As I mentioned in my original post, this bullet did not really meet my expectations for accuracy in the .45 Colt in my Old Model Ruger Convertible. But, in the ACP case, in that particular revolver, it seems to do much better for some reason.
When they're gone, I won't order any more of these. I have tried other semi-wadcutter styles (cast bullets) 250 grains and more that act much better than this one. I've had the best luck of all with the old Lyman/Keith 245 grain semi-wadcutter with a plain, flat base (Lyman Mold #452423). It shoots well for me in the .45 Colt case, and in the ACP case in my Ruger Convertible, as well as the .45AR case in both of my Smith and Wesson Model 25-2 revolvers. Problem is finding somebody that casts and sells them. Mt.Baldy Bullet Co. was the only place I could get them, but now I can't even find a web site for them any more.

357Nut

Bearcat
WESHOOT2 said:
I like that bullet under HS6 or Power Pistol or N350 in 45 Colt cases.....

Would you be able to give us the charge weights you found worked best with HS6 and Power Pistol?

Power Pistol barks and seems to have more recoil than other powders in the same burn range but has given me outstanding accuracy with several lead bullets.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
When developing loads with these powders I started with averaged published 'Start' data.
All gave me desired performance at some point during work-up.

It will be the same with your gun and tooling and process; somewhere during development you'll find the specific performance level that satisfies your personal ammo 'goal'.

I use a firm crimp with the superior Redding Profile Crimp die.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
FWIW, when I was working with 250 gr bullets I liked:

850 fps....Green Dot
1050 fps...HS6
1340 fps...W296

But these days I've settled on two bullets for my .45 Blackhawk, the Mihek 270SAA for general use and the 325 gr LBT for "stump thumping". Both at around 1100 fps using SR4759 and W296 respectively..

IBoth bullets will do 1.5" @ 25 yds if I do my part. ( both sized .454" for my oversize throats)

As Skeeter once said: "I have been enlightened"... :wink:

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin said:
FWIW, when I was working with 250 gr bullets I liked:

850 fps....Green Dot
1050 fps...HS6
1340 fps...W296

But these days I've settled on two bullets for my .45 Blackhawk, the Mihek 270SAA for general use and the 325 gr LBT for "stump thumping". Both at around 1100 fps using SR4759 and W296 respectively..

IBoth bullets will do 1.5" @ 25 yds if I do my part. ( both sized .454" for my oversize throats)
Are you still shooting the 325's you cast up from brother ten or did you break down and get one. I've been using one of mihec's 462 hammer molds sized to .454 a d the small hp pin

As Skeeter once said: "I have been enlightened"... :wink:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
My buddy uses Red Dot for everything from 12 & 20 gauge to all his light loads for 9mm,38,357,44,45colt,45acp. He's never had any complaints.