Recommended improved rear sight for Ruger Blackhawk .357 with six inch barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1245delta

Bearcat
I have a Ruger .357 New Model Black Hawk with a six inch barrel and the factory rear sight. What might be recommended as an improved rear sight and why. What about the factory front sight. Can it be improved? I'm not a fan of fiber optic sights although I have them on my Ruger Single Six. Thanks for all advice. I'm kind of new to this aspect of shooting/.

Hamilton Bowen of Bowen Classic Arms makes what many of us consider the best rear sight for our Rugers. Go to his website and look in the parts section to see the sights. Front sights are tougher since they are probably silver soldered on the original barrel. Many gunsmiths can change it or install a DX style sight but thus means sending the gun off and possibly refinishing.

I use the Bowen New Model Field Target rear sight, but others prefer Bowen Rough Country rear. If you go with them, you "could" install yourself, but you'll want to make sure you have the full range of vertical travel. On a few of mine, the top of the hammer needs to be filed down for clearance, and sometimes the rear of the top strap needs filing. Otherwise, the Bowen rear blade sits up too high and you might need a taller front sight depending on what load and distance you shoot. Otherwise, Bowen makes the rear sight with the best "sight picture" for the Ruger. If your front sight is pinned in, I like the fiber optics, but as mentioned, you'd be better served to have a competent smith replace it. You might consider a Freedom Arms front as they have lots of options, but it might be too high.

jgt

Buckeye
Guess what? Fermin came out with a rear sight to fit the dovetail on those models of the single six. Gives a good sight picture.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I do not know of a cheap way to improve the sights on a Blackhawk. There are people who mill off the blade and cut a slot for a pinned front sight. The shape of the factory front sight reflects light and makes the sight difficult to see. I am old with somewhat failing vision. After years of fiddling with the sights I finally just put a red dot sight on one of the new mounts for the Blackhawk. Not for everybody I guess but now when I miss I know I pulled it rather than lost the sight picture.

veeman

Single-Sixer
I use this ghost ring on several of my Blackhawks. made a nice improvement.
Ruger Peep 7-24-22.jpg

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger .357 New Model Black Hawk with a six inch barrel and the factory rear sight. What might be recommended as an improved rear sight and why. What about the factory front sight. Can it be improved? I'm not a fan of fiber optic sights although I have them on my Ruger Single Six. Thanks for all advice. I'm kind of new to this aspect of shooting/.
I suspect that your NM .357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk has a 6 1/2" barrel, and not a 6" one. At least, I canot find a 6" barrel .357 Mag online. At any rate, why are you thinking about changing the rear sight? It is easily adjustable, and very easy to see thru as well. I have had a OM Ruger ,357 Mag Blackhawk (6 1/2" barrel) for over 50 years, and the sights have never been any issue. I use to shoot at swamp rat mounds at 100-150 yards, and could tell if I hit it or not by the nearby splashes. Other than when I made some reloads too long, the gun has been flawless. I now also own a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk convertible (shoots .45 ACP rounds with a cylinder swap) as well.

Both guns have the same style sites, and both are very accurate on the range, where I shoot up to only 50 yards, because beyond that, it is near impossible to see the target! My targets are 1 sq. ft. each. I normally shoot at a distance of 25 yards, and have adjusted the sites to be dead on for that distance. If I shoot at the 50 yards again, then I have to aim just a bit higher.

If you really want to shoot long distances normally, then put a scope on it. I have a friend who had put a scope on the Ruger .357 Mag, but I never shot it. Of course, the scope adds weight!

daveag.

Single-Sixer
Hamilton Bowen of Bowen Classic Arms makes what many of us consider the best rear sight for our Rugers. Go to his website and look in the parts section to see the sights. Front sights are tougher since they are probably silver soldered on the original barrel. Many gunsmiths can change it or install a DX style sight but thus means sending the gun off and possibly refinishing.
These rear sights looked good. What is the difference between stock rear sights and Bowen's? Is there more adjustment?

… Bowen rear…. Beautiful sight picture, no glare, and can even get the competition model with a 0.090" notch for your longer-barreled revolvers.

1245delta

Bearcat
I suspect that your NM .357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk has a 6 1/2" barrel, and not a 6" one. At least, I canot find a 6" barrel .357 Mag online. At any rate, why are you thinking about changing the rear sight? It is easily adjustable, and very easy to see thru as well. I have had a OM Ruger ,357 Mag Blackhawk (6 1/2" barrel) for over 50 years, and the sights have never been any issue. I use to shoot at swamp rat mounds at 100-150 yards, and could tell if I hit it or not by the nearby splashes. Other than when I made some reloads too long, the gun has been flawless. I now also own a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk convertible (shoots .45 ACP rounds with a cylinder swap) as well.

Both guns have the same style sites, and both are very accurate on the range, where I shoot up to only 50 yards, because beyond that, it is near impossible to see the target! My targets are 1 sq. ft. each. I normally shoot at a distance of 25 yards, and have adjusted the sites to be dead on for that distance. If I shoot at the 50 yards again, then I have to aim just a bit higher.

If you really want to shoot long distances normally, then put a scope on it. I have a friend who had put a scope on the Ruger .357 Mag, but I never shot it. Of course, the scope adds weight!
You are correct, of course. My Blackhawk has a 6.5 inch barrel, not a 6 inch. And perhaps I should just be satisfied with the factory sight. Thanks for the responses.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As far as I'm concderned, the Ruger ramp front sight needs no improvement even if one existed. Here is one on my Colt:

A few years ago Gary Reeder offered this rear sight for Rugers:

It is all steel with a flat rear face tnat is milled. The curved portion of the Ruger Stock sight does create a highlight which is distracting.

Bob Wright

Dan in MI

Staff member
These rear sights looked good. What is the difference between stock rear sights and Bowen's? Is there more adjustment?
Generally the major difference is in the adjustments. Each click is a given amount and repeatability. You can go up and down a specific amount and have the same POI.

The rest is glare reduction, notch width all things that can be home remedied.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Here is the old Millet rear sight, which is similar in style to the Bowen. Note where the rear blade is located, slightly over the hammer spur:

There is the possibility of catching the thumb on that part when drawing the revolver. So fro daily carry I prefer the Reeder sight I showed previously.

Bob Wright