Recommendations and experiences Ruger 77 rebarrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I'm going to have a .35 Whelen built on a Ruger 77 .30-06.

Anyone have experiences or recommendations on places to have this done?

I''m aware of the following and would like to hear of first hand experiences with any of them:

McGowen
Pac-Nor
z-hat

Are there any others who you would recommend?

I also have considered a local smith who is pretty good. If I go this route what barrel would you recommend?

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Of the 3 I have used Pac-Nor to rebarrel a M700 TO 223 AI. They did a fine job and the rifle shoots in the low .3's. That said, have you considered a rebore? Some will argue a new barrel is a better deal but I disagree. I have a few of them, including one in 35 Whelen, that were done by Cliff LaBounty. Jim Dubell took over Cliff's business after Cliff retired and is turning out the same fine work. My rebores, the 35 Whelen, a 9.3x62 and a 338-06 are all sub-1" rifles. They are cut rifled, hand lapped, rechambered and throated to my specification. They drop back into your stock and require no bluing work. Just another thought.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Boxhead":117w6cuw said:
Of the 3 I have used Pac-Nor to rebarrel a M700 TO 223 AI. They did a fine job and the rifle shoots in the low .3's. That said, have you considered a rebore? Some will argue a new barrel is a better deal but I disagree. I have a few of them, including one in 35 Whelen, that were done by Cliff LaBounty. Jim Dubell took over Cliff's business after Cliff retired and is turning out the same fine work. My rebores, the 35 Whelen, a 9.3x62 and a 338-06 are all sub-1" rifles. They are cut rifled, hand lapped, rechambered and throated to my specification. They drop back into your stock and require no bluing work. Just another thought.

Thanks for the information. I'll certainly consider this. Any idea on the cost comparison between a rebore and a rebarrel?

Enigma

Hunter
Something to consider besides the cost comparison between rebarreling and reboring is delivery time. Some smiths recommend rebarreling if you're in anything even vaguely resembling a hurry; reboring if you're not.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Check out this site (gent I mentioned above) and give a call on delivery. All of mine were done in 2-4 months. Danny Pederson rebores as well as is quite notorious for very long lead times. When Pac-Nor rebarreled my 223 it took 6 months. This was in 1997. High quality often does not come cheaply or quickly. For me, a busy 'smith is a sign of a good 'smith. Just my $.02.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/