Recommend a Sp101 leather holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Had an SP101 years ago in 38sp but sold it and finally got around to getting another in 357. I mainly used and wore the 38 for snake shot while I was walking and fishing around the lake and used a Fobus paddle because I don't always wear a belt in the summer. Plus if I'd have fallen in...nobody cares if you get a Fobus wet! :mrgreen:

I've always shot snubbies well and will likely carry this one on occasion. Other pistols I carry , I usually prefer a thumb snap , but they are quite a bit larger than the SP101. I don't have any experience with open top carry holsters and I'd assume they have decent retention but like I said , no experience. I like a slight forward cant but not a lot along with a high ride. I also prefer holsters that are "slim" , if that's the proper description , without huge ears of leather for the belt slots like some 3 slot holsters.

So what do you carry your SP101 in and what do like or dislike about the holster? Pictures would be greatly appreciated too.

Have a look at the Bianchi 5BHL. Medium ride with thumb break. I have both the original US made and the current made in mexico versions. While I prefer the original, the made in mexico one is quite functional. They are available for both 2.25" and 3".

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I've been looking at the Bianchi. The simply rugged is a no go. It's the bulky , excess leather style I don't care for...

NikA

Buckeye
I have a 4-position OWB holster for the SP that I used a couple times before I got my Simply Rugged. Labelled Montezuma holster, thumb snap with thick leather and belt slots in the back within the footprint of the holster body. Decent holster, but much thicker than a pancake because of how the belt attachment is made. Looks like it came from Sportsmans Guide at some point, so it should be cheap if you can find one.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I prefer Wright Leatherworks Predator pancake style OWB holsters. Their Marshall holster, however, might meet your needs:

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/collections/owb-holsters/products/marshal-owb-holster

WheelGunMan

Bearcat
I have a Galco Hornet belt holster that holds pretty secure.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/hornet-belt-holster_8_4_1355.html

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Those Wright holsters look good. I've also eyed the Galco hornet but wasnt sure about no cant built in to it. I do like the trailing slot holsters like that. I have a DeSantis Osprey on the way for a P365 but they don't make one for an SP.

Wmb...my comment about simply rugged looking bulky to me was meaning that to me they look like there is enough leather in one to make two holsters. I prefer a bit slimmer rig in that aspect.

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
I went with Ted Blocker's 649 holster for field carry of my 3" SP-101. Its similar to the Bianchi 55L Lightning with the thumb snap over the trigger guard vs the hammer. I've come to really like & enjoy it, so check it out on their website.

wagsfn

Bearcat
I've taken a chance with this leather outfitter, Privateer Leather (Highwayman, OWB). Liked his line-up and customer service feedback when requested. Give them a look.

https://www.privateerleather.com/pancake-style-owb-holsters

My current SP101 2.25" 357mag rides in a Garrett Silent Thunder OWB. It's kydex, but leather lined. Great fit and snugs up to body. I'm extremely pleased. But you are only interested in leather. Understand. So I won't throw a picture out and ruin your thread.