Recoil Spring For Suppressed Mk II.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retired W4

Bearcat
I am finally getting around to fixing the cycling problem with my AAC suppressed Mk II. I use RWS subsonic and I have always just put my thumb on the bolt and feed the next round manually. I ordered the Volquartsen kit and also did some light polishing on the hammer face and bottom of the bolt. The polishing has smoothed out the action. Has anyone had experience with the spring kit in this configuration?

Attachments

• IMG_0265 (2).JPG
    IMG_0265 (2).JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0264 (2).JPG
    IMG_0264 (2).JPG
    822.4 KB · Views: 70

NikA

Buckeye
I don't have any experience with this kit but...

The advertised velocity on .22LR is generally measured from a 16 inch test barrel. Standard velocity .22LR loadings are almost always subsonic from a pistol IME. Hypervelocity is usually not, high velocity may or may not be.

I use Aguila standard velocity in suppressed .22LR handguns and it does not have a sonic crack, and no cycling issues. Bulk box .22s are typically not loaded consistently, so IME some end up being supersonic and some not.

Retired W4

Bearcat
The RWS is consistently sub-sonic and very accurate in both weapons. The kit has 3 springs, std, heavy and one for sub-sonic. I'm hoping the light spring fixes my cycling problem. Interestingly, the rod is taken apart with a screw on the end so the springs can easily be swapped out. I will report back when the kit arrives.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have several cans for Gemtech, Thompson Machine, and others. They all cycle fine with the right ammunition. Anything under 1070 will be subsonic in your pistol. Any thing less than that you are tempting reliability IMHO. I have used CCI, Federal, Remington and Aguila rds in the 970 to 1070 range and they all worked fine in my Ruger 22/45's, Browning Buckmark, S&W MnP Compact, Ruger LCP II. Any difference in sound was minimal & depended on the can being used. Larger cans work better for obvious reasons.

Retired W4

Bearcat
Spring and guide rod kit just arrived. Installation was easy, however it did require just a little fitting. The pistol runs perfectly now with this expensive German sub-sonic ammunition.

I wrote a detailed explanation on the speed of sound but I cut it out. New spring works great.

My 'bragging rights" MK3 full VQ conversion 4" 22/45 is virtually 100% functi0nal using RWS, CCI, and Aguila sub-sonic ammo. The 5.5" MK2 has some VQ conversion parts making it functional also.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
On my LCPII .22lr I only use a Gemtech & one other can I made , due to weight. You must have a Can that is under 6 ounces I believe, or have a heavier spring etc. The set up from Ruger does come with a heavier spring too. The combination of sub sonic ammo and added weight of the Can may create reliability issues on certain firearms. I use a "three lug" Gem Tech QD attachment, which also adds some weight.

NikA

Buckeye
LCP II .22 is going to be a completely different beast due to the tilting barrel. On typical fixed barrel .22s, the only reliability balance to consider is the power of the ammo and the weight of the reciprocating assembly/recoil spring.

Interesting that Ruger makes a threaded barrel kit for the LCP II .22. Seems like a pain to try to balance the tilting barrel dynamics on such a low power system.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
LCP II .22 is going to be a completely different beast due to the tilting barrel. On typical fixed barrel .22s, the only reliability balance to consider is the power of the ammo and the weight of the reciprocating assembly/recoil spring.

Interesting that Ruger makes a threaded barrel kit for the LCP II .22. Seems like a pain to try to balance the tilting barrel dynamics on such a low power system.
Believe it or not mine works fine! I use CCI 1070fps in it(because I have it) and I have no problems. The 970fps works too, but anything less will not.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Believe it or not mine works fine! I use CCI 1070fps in it(because I have it) and I have no problems. The 970fps works too, but anything less will not.
I use various ones depending on need. I like redundancyI lke moncores for ease of maintenance. The Gemtechs weight only 2.78 ounces! The first two use a wipe,that I added to the monocore, that I had made.
Cans 2.jpg
The last two are heavier, and usually are used on rifles, but work fine on something like the Ruger Mk III 22/45 i have.