RECLAIMED PRIMERS??!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rainman

Blackhawk
I went to a gun show in Marietta (north of Atlanta) today and primers are still almost non-extentent. Only saw 4,000 small rifle primers and he was asking $50/1000.

The same guys who sells only reloading supplies was selling "reclaimed" military small rifle primers for $25/1000. He had repackaged them in white primer boxes. They looked OK but still had some lacquer around the edges. He said you could expect a couple of duds per 100.

Anybody else heard of this? Got any idea how you remove a live primer from a crimped-in primer pocket? I don't think I'd ever get hungry enough to apply for that job.

I passed on all his stuff.

Dan

tek4260

Buckeye
:shock:

Expect duds for $25/1000? Can't honestly say I've ever had a "dud" with one of my reloads and can't imagine loading something that I had been forewarned about...

pps

Single-Sixer
How old was the military ammo? Maybe a small chance they might be corrosive.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I'll use my own reclaimed primers, but I probably would have passed on those primers unless I was down to nothing and nothing good on the horizon.

Rainman

Blackhawk
He said the stuff was from recent 5.56 ammo being broken down. They looked new but there was no way I would pay that for possible duds.

Anybody have a clue how in the world you would get them out of the crimped pocket without damaging them or worse yet, going off? I was wondering if it could have been compressed air. The guy opened the package and showed them to me and I couldn't tell anything unusual except they were in up and down. The primer compound was bright red as was the lacquer on the outside.

Surely someone on this forum will figure it out.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Rainman":rvpl5eo6 said:
Got any idea how you remove a live primer from a crimped-in primer pocket? I don't think I'd ever get hungry enough to apply for that job.

I did this 32 years ago trying to salvage 5 boxes of TW43 AP ammo.

I had a hell of a time trying to kill those primers and I never did kill them all. Tried WD-40 squirted directly through the flash hole, soaking for two days under water, everything but the flux capacitor (which hadn't been invented yet).

Ended decapping the cases in an RCBS JR press with a rag wrapped around the die to muffle the noise.