Recent inheritance... Need help deciding

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kscott

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, well we're getting things worked out after my Grandma's death and we're in the process of cleaning up and splitting up my Grandpa's guns which haven't been touched since he died (10 yrs.). (Grandma wasn't super fond of guns so she didn't really want anyone messing with them.) Anyway, they will be split between my uncle, dad, and myself. There are some really nice ones from way back, and I wish I could keep them all (I know, shame, shame), but I just wanted to see what you guys think of which ones you guys would pick given the choice. They may or may not be evenly divided as I'm more of a gun enthusiast than both my uncle and father, and my uncle's not really into guns so don't be afraid to give me more suggestions. Honestly, I'm leaning toward the Colt .22, M1 Carbine, and Winchester 52, but please give me your opinion and why. Thanks a lot.

By the way, I've shot all of the .22s so far and they all have functioned well.

Begin DROOL... :wink:

Pre-1936 Winchester Model 52 Sporter .22LR suppressed #345XX

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Winchester U.S. M1 .30 Carbine (w/ M2 stock, I think) #5674XXX

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Marlin 30-30 Lever action #24058XXX

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Remington Sportsman 48 (16 Gauge) #3563XXX

IMG_1543.jpg

Marlin 60 .22 #03169XXX

IMG_1544.jpg

1930 Colt Woodsman .22 (First Series) #74XXX

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

1938 Hi-Standard Model I-B .22 #36XXX

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

This one is just for fun because it's already mine. My great uncle gave it to me because it was my great grandpa's, but I just got it about a month ago so I thought I'd throw it in. It's a sweet shooter too.

Browning .22 Rifle #8T 548 (Anyone know what grade it is??)

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
Sorry to hear about your Grandma's death, I can feel the pain in your post. I hope you can work out the logistics of splitting the stuff up, not always easy with family (this I know), but you seem to be looking forward to it.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I like your choices. The Marlins are nice, but there's really nothing special about a 30-30 or a model 60 :wink:

kentdep

Single-Sixer
If it were me I would want the 52 first! There is easily a couple grand in just that one alone. I would want the Browning Auto .22 too. It is a Grade I. My Dad has the same one too.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandfather. Just judging by his taste in guns, I would bet that he was my kind of guy to be friends with.

Jay

paul s

Bearcat
The Winchester 52 sporter is the one to get, do you know if the supressor is papered? If not loose it, same as having an unregistered machinegun!

Hi the mod 52 first then the woodsman you got to love them 52 s but if you knew what his favorite gun was that would be the one for me I was in your spot once with my grandmothers estate I had my pick of some nice stuff but took the old lux timer she used for baking every day Memories

GRAMPS

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Your choices would be mine too. I'm not much of a pistelero, so I could live with either the Colt or the Hi-Standard, but definitely the M52, the Browning and the M1 Carbine. If it were a choice between the pistols and any of the rifles, I'd choose the rifles.
You should look around for the Lyman recevier sight for the M52 (probably a Model 48 ), and think about taking the scope/base off; these rifles are just class itself with iron sights. Good luck and condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
kscott, those look fantastic. You are very lucky.

Good luck with the task of splitting up the firearms. Another thing to consider is what your father gets is likely to become yours.

Too hard to pick which would be my favorite even though I am leaning toward the M1.

aminahyaquin

Bearcat
Well for me the winchester M-1 first, the Remington model 48 next and then the 1930 Colt .22 .
it would be good to consult the GunTraders Guide too

So sorry for the loss of your Grandma--most important person in the world to me was mine

Quietdood

Bearcat
When my grandfather passed away he only had his one deer hunting rifle... an old 30-06. Boy did he have tons of antlers from that gun. My aunt wanted to keep the rifle so I didn't persist.

At least you have many to choose from. It's a special feeling holding your grandfather's gun, knowing he had a lot of pride and use for it in his lifetime.

Maybe there's a certain gun that has more memory attached to it than the others?

I still take pleasure in wearing a simple brown belt that was his.

americal

Hunter
The win.52---A nice+++++ rifle 8) IF I got that rifle I would be happy with just that :D rest of your choices ok to---its always an honor to have your forefathers guns --I know it means a lot to you besides just being worth money :!: :!:

George Tucker

Blackhawk
Your Grandad had good taste in Firearms, enjoy, by the way, some States allow the use of silenscirs, Idaho is one of them, pay the $200.00 tax stamp, and your good to go, George.

Coogs

Maximum
Stick with the Winchesters!!! Very sought after, high ticket items.......and the fact that they are you Grandfathers/family.................would make them even more pricless!!!!! Ya may have to ditch the supressor if it isn't papered...........Coogs.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
HOW COULD YOU GO WRONG WITH ANY OF THEM?
I can see how it would be hard to decide,but which ever ones you get your still a lucky guy..

Sorry to here of the loss of your grandma.

Ill be happy to see which ones you get.

yessir, I agree, the 52 ,the M-1 (doesn't look like an M-2 stock) and then the Colt.......gotta do your homework as to the suppressor, it better be "papered", there is NO stamp available now, the amnesty was up many years ago......gotta have the original tax stamp to get it transferred, check with a 'class 3' dealer you may know or even 'trust'..........it's a "catch 22" if you try and find out from the 'feds' if it is or isn't, then they will "know" you have it, and can confiscate the suppressor, who knows ,get an overzealous agent , and never know what he may try and pull...we have seen entire collections get "caught up" in the process..........back in grandpas day ( may he rest in peace) this was NOT an issue, nor a problem............

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I recognize that the M-52 is a sought after piece. Having said that, its not one I would want.

Just speaking for myself, I'd go for the Winchester M1 and the Browning Auto 22. The Colt .22 would be nice, too.

I have my great grandfather's old 12 gauge double, my grandfather's Stevens .22, and a Colt Frontier Six-Shooter that belonged to a great uncle.