Recent challenge/test

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Recently, we had a young man, stop a deranged thug from doing a lot more damage than he'd already done at a mall shooting. That young man, drew his CCW firearm, and from 40 yds, fired 10 rounds, in about 15 seconds, striking the thug 8 out of 10 times. Stopping the thug's rampage.
I saw where a good friend decided to try to see if he could do that.
Using our CCW handgun, and shooting at a target, 40 yds away, to see how many we could put in the target in under 15 seconds.
Now, my good friend has been a member here for a LONG time, but due to a computer glitch, can't seem to get back on here. This gentleman is well know here as "sixshot." And for those who know,, he's a serious handgunner.
Well, he was able to use (2) of his handguns, and easily get 8 out of 10 with one, and 9 out of 10 with the other one. All at just past 10 seconds.
I took it as a challenge to see how I'd stack up.

So, yesterday, I went out in the humidity, set up an old used but pasted over USPSA target. (The same as what sixshot had used,) and got back 40 yds.
My first attempt was a bust,, as I allowed the gun to shift in my grip, and failed to fire, because the grip safety wasn't properly dis-engaged.
My fault.
My second try, I was able to get in 10 shots, with 9 striking the target, in 10.84 seconds.
My gun is a Kimber Ultra Compact in .45 acp. I did use a 10 round magazine for the challenge though. I normally carry only 8 in the gun.

Here are a few pictures.

First,,, the gun, (now empty,) with a round like I used.

P1040265.JPG

Next, is the timer, clipped on my pocket, showing my time. I took the picture prior to checking my target for hits.

P1040263.JPG

Lastly, my target. Seems I was a "little high" in my hits,, but if it had been an actual person,, ouch!

P1040264.JPG

This was a fun challenge. If it hadn't been so humid & hot,, and I wanted to get back into the A/C,, I might have considered another attempt,, using my normal mags, and doing a reload. All to see if I could get it all in under the 15 seconds.
Later I got to thinking,, I may try this again,, using my occasional "pocket gun" the Ruger LCP. And, I'll just see how it does with just the mag in it, w/o a reload or anything.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The shooter used a Glock, but I can't find which model. I wonder how a G19 would even group at 40 yds. Obviously good enough for Elisjsha Dickens!

No mystery .
If typical groups capable of +/- 3 inches @ 25yds ( the capability of gun fired from braced position , estimate of average SD ammo accuracy , but right ballpark ) , that would be 5- ish inches @ 40yds .

The limiting factor is the shooter , under stress . Most any " compact- ish " ( as opposed to micro ) gun has mechanical capability for 50 yd hits .

Once upon a time with BIL's G22 I went plinking at soda cans at 60-ish yds two hand standing . Even with Kentucky Elevation , hit about 1/3 , but the rest were right next to can , most would have hit a coffee can .

contender

Ruger Guru
All good comments.
And as noted,, it was done when the thug was shooting. One thing that adds a LITTLE stress,, is the timer. Wanting to make sure you do it in the time specified. I rushed myself,, thinking I was going "too slow" and yet,, I only used a touch over 2/3rds of my available time.

All good comments.
And as noted,, it was done when the thug was shooting. One thing that adds a LITTLE stress,, is the timer. Wanting to make sure you do it in the time specified. I rushed myself,, thinking I was going "too slow" and yet,, I only used a touch over 2/3rds of my available time.
When the timer goes off there is always stress. With me it is BIG stress :)
In my book you did good.
To me 40 yards is rifle country when trying to shoot fast. Remember I shoot SASS

contender

Ruger Guru
"Remember I shoot SASS"

I about spit my milk when I read that line. I used to shoot SASS,, and I know what you meant.
As a USPSA shooter,, I felt I was going slow,, yet,, I had plenty of time left over. And as a handgun hunter,, the distance didn't bother me. But when hunting, it's usually one shot & I have plenty of time to "make the shot."

But the timer thing,, yep,, it does add a bit of the stress factor. NOT the same as a real life shoot-out life or death type of stress. But still a bit of stress to perform. And we have a saying; "When the buzzer goes off,,,,, the brain dis-engages." Another saying; "You can't miss fast enough to win & you can't hit slow enough to win."

I need to really try this with my LCP. It's been so hot though,, not fun on the range. I was out for a few minutes yesterday, fine adjusting a red dot. I quit before I was happy with it,, because I was sweating & such. No way to relax & focus enough.

Snake45

Hawkeye
VERY interesting thread I hadn't noticed before.

Like most here (I suppose), when the stats on the shooting came out, my eyebrows went up. Pretty damn good shooting, if true! :oops:

Nice to know it IS achievable by a typical shooter. Well, you might be a little above "typical," but apparently so was the kid.

Thanks for running this test and posting about it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks Snake. I do shoot a fair amount above most folks due to my USPSA competitions. But even I had to try the drill just to see what I could do. I know I could slow down & most likely get all 10 in the target.

I'll be on it tomorrow. This is what I did with my Max9 today. 2" rested 6 seconds, 8" 3 seconds offhand 5 rnd groups@ 25yds

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_134712063~2.jpg
    IMG_20221130_134712063~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
I guess I could have slowed down.I just rolled with it. Measured 123'. Shot with my Max9 that Crimson Trace. I was fumbling the gun on the 3rd and 4th shots and had to regroup. The optic almost made it easy. The Max9 is amazingly accurate for a gun this size. I'm pretty sure I could have kept them all in the 9-10 if I had used 10 seconds. I heard the timer and went full IPSC on it with a pocket pistol.

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_140645036~2.jpg
    IMG_20221217_140645036~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20221217_140025226.jpg
    IMG_20221217_140025226.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20221217-135712.png
    Screenshot_20221217-135712.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20221129_194433896.jpg
    IMG_20221129_194433896.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Shot my DC Qualifier today with my Max9. The first half I was shooting like the target was an actual threat. My reaction time on the 8&9's was about 1/4 second from low ready. They mentioned that if you shoot out the X you get a hat. I slowed down to about 1 second and they owe me a hat. I think they wanted me to slow down because I was scaring the other people in the class who were taking a minute or more per shot. That's 50 rnds. MD qualifier is 25 DC is 50. We shot 25, scored and 25 more for DC

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_174916150_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230813_174916150_HDR.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
In another thread I mentioned that my reason to carry is that someone could grab one of my grandchildren and I wouldn't be able to chase them down and that I needed to be able to take that shot over a loved one. Some fudd called me a psycho for considering such a shot. Man's got to Know HIS Limitations and just stand there helplessly. I also know the gun is actually twice that accurate with what I carry in it. They supplied standard Blazer fmj. It does that at 25yds with V Crowns. That was only 15yds Max.