Recall information for Mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I have inherited a late 70's era SS Mini 14. One of my hunting buddies told me this firearm was recalled by Ruger. I have done a search here but either entered the information wrong or there is nothing to be found.

Any help out there?

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Some of the stainless ones early on had some metallurgy problems that ruger will fix and stamp the serial number with an "R" indicating it has been repaired.

WARNING....if the serial number is below prefix/series 181 do NOT send it to ruger. They tend to keep them and issue credits for newer ones.

LewR

Bearcat
I_Like_Pie":tlevgzv9 said:

WARNING....if the serial number is below prefix/series 181 do NOT send it to ruger. They tend to keep them and issue credits for newer ones.

Is this true or an urban legend? Actually sounds illegal without the owner having a choice. JMHO

chet15

Hawkeye
The stainless sn range of the recalled guns was 181-11196 to 182-51928. Those that were returned to the factory for re-heat treat of the receiver will have two of Ruger's proof stamps.
Chet15

jimmy

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip. (My stainless Mini has a 182 serial number that is just above the recall range.)

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Mine is a 181 but below the lower listed above. I am relieved. Thank you all for the help.

Just as a matter of interest this carbine has been "at sea" on a commercial fishing boat for the past thirty or so years, and looks it.