Rebore M77RS 06 To 9.3x62?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Has anybody here rebored a model 77 RS tang safety 30 06 to 9.3x62? If you have, are you happy with it? What would you do differently? Do you wish you would have rebarreled instead?
Thanks
Bfly

jgt

Buckeye
I have looked into it, as I have a spare long action off a 700 Remington. I decided not to go that route. The brass cost was too much for me.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
i,d go with a 35 whelen rebore, with reloaded ammo there is not a nickles worth between them, one is .358 bore and the other is.366. ammo for the 9.3x62 is not as easy to find as 35 whelen as the same with cases-bullets. i own and shoot three 35 whelens and with varget powder run up to over 2500 fps with a speer hot core 250 gr bullet with no pressure. ruger #1-remington 700 CDL and a custom van patten 98 mauser.

jgt

Buckeye
I revisited my notes this morning and I was mistaken. The 9.3X74r was the one I was looking at. I have a long action for a 700 Remington so I looked at the 9.3X62, but as I often do, I went off chasing information on the 9.3X74r in a number one action for more power. That is when I ran into the staggering cost of feeding the thing after the initial cost of the build. I decided to admit to myself I no longer live where I would be able to take advantage of the cartridge. I have short range big bore levers for anything in my area that would require the power of the 9.3X74r. The 9.3X62 would be an excellent round from mice to moose in my opinion.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I've been shooting 9.3's since before they were popular. I have an African Hawkeye in 9.3 that is like the Gun Blast edition, shiny blue, pretty circassian walnut, and all, just no GB on the serial number. I was thinking of making a more every day bad weather version. This might be more mental gymnastics than reality at my age, but it's February and I have 'nothings running fever.' Had a couple of 358's , and Whelen RS's. The Whelen is a wonder and a whomper stomper, but I have the African bug. It's like malaria that lays dormant then pops up again and again. The 9.3 is my. Quinine.
Appreciate all advice.
Bfly

jgt

Buckeye
That I understand well. I am that way about some guns, but I am slowly accepting the fact that some things I will likely never do again.