Rear sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi. I just bought an almost new Mark II for my wife. My neighbor got it new around 1979-80. He said he shot it exactly 3 times and hit the target each time. Never used again. I told my wife that I would sell her 1968 Standard Model and she can have this one that locks open after the last shot. Two questions.
First: I have a nice white outline adjustable rear sight from a stainless 6" Mk II I used to own. Does the fixed rear sight on the MK II come off and interchange like the dovetail adjustable sight?
Second: what is the market like for a plain old Standard? Fixed sight (shoots straight), never jams, nice bluing (I'm sure it was redone before I bought it years ago because it looks so good for a 1960's pistol), some chrome coming off the sides of the trigger. I can post pics when I get home if that helps. It is just the basic model though. And I don't have the original grips or a box. It has tigerwood (I think) wood grips. My wife wanted them for the new pistol, but they don't fit the Mk II. Sad- I like them too. They are a definite improvement over the black plastic ones on the new gun. Thanks for any insight and help.

yes, different sights can be removed (drifted out) of any dovetail and fit into a corresponding sized one,BUT the trouble with the "standard" auto , and the later MK II "fixed sight", is the front sight blade is NOT anywhere high enough to make it work properly, or accurately.needs a mucher blade..... there are 'LPA" (low profile adjustible) sights available from Midway or Brownells, and these use the 'standard' front sight blade...............
yes, I KNOW "fixed" sights on a Ruger, auto or revolver, are adjustable by drift only ,but that is too much to try and type out at my age and I will continue to call ANY gun that has the rear sight "fixed' in a dovetail, a "fixed" sight, and if a Vaquero or a Colt or its clone, those are "grooved" top strap sights....blah, blah ,,blah.............

same goes for "flatops" on a 22 RSS.................... :roll: