Rear sight problem on Mark 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smeck

Bearcat
I have a Mk1 that is 5.5" bull barrel and bought a LPA rear sight that was able to work with the factory front sight.
But i can't get it to hit the target at POA it always shoots about 2" to low and i wonder if the Mk1 har a different front sight then the Mk2.
The distance is 25m i had no problem with the factory rear sight, the LPA sight lies under Mk2 parts on MidwayUsa.com.
Does anyone else had problems with LPA sights.

wwb

Hunter
The rear sight you bought was probably one intended for use with the "Standard Automatic Pistol", not the Mark I (or the "Standard" version of the Mark II). The front sight on the Mark I, either Bull Barrel or 6-7/8 Tapered Target Barrel, is higher than the front sight on the standard, so the Mark I has a higher rear sight as well.

Your rear sight is now too low - hence to low POI. You can either file the front sight down or put the Mark I rear sight back on... I'd recommend the latter option.

smeck

Bearcat
Thanks for the info shame i can't use the rear sights, Midway should have put better info on on their site when it comes to gun parts. Saves people alot of money :)

too many folks think the 'standard autos' of yore are Mark I's, even the factory folks will tell people this when they call in............it's ALL in the details..........and yes, the 'LPA" signifies "low profile adjustable"......ergo, matching 'low' frontsight needed...you can shorten the blade on your gun, and can always replace it later on ,back top 'stock'.....