Really like my P85 IIR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
I picked up a used (in new condition) P85 IIR from a gun shop recently. I know it is an old gun, but i swear i really like this gun. Most think it is ugly, but i think it is really attractive with the stainless slide over aluminum frame. I put some Hogue grips on it and it feels good and solid in my hand. It fires without any failures (200 rounds so far), is easy to dissassemble and clean, and i can shoot fairly accurately with it. I paid $250 for it out the door. Not a scratch on it. I really think someone bought it 20-25 years ago, and then put it under their bed and forgot about it until recently when they needed a few extra bucks, so they sold it. So, can someone tell me whats not to like about this gun, besides not being plastic? What would a $1k Sig, HK, Kimber, etc do that this gun wouldnt? Thanks for listening. Just happy with my purchase.

PS, i saw a P94 stainless today. Now that gun is gorgeous in my opinion.

Al James

Hunter
And so it begins. I discovered the P series the same way. It is an outstanding design and an even better value imo. Enjoy yours, you will never wear it out. Pics?

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I've had very good luck with mine. It's not a target pistol, but it wasn't meant to be and it's plenty accurate enough for it's intended purpose. Mine has never malfunctioned in any way and will run on most any halfway decent ammo. Factory, reloads, FMJ or cast bullets, they all work just fine. Enjoy that pistol :)

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies. One question about the gun. I notice that it will rattle a bit if you kind of shake it side to side due to some looseness in the slide to frame fit. Is this normal? I assume the looseness was part of the design to ensure it would work under austere conditions, right? Kind of like an AK47 has loose tolerances and has a reputation for working even when very dirty. I base this opinion on the fact the gun was designed for the military. Is this correct, or is Ruger's tolerances not up to standards they should be? Thanks again.

96/44

Blackhawk
Both of my P-series pistols rattle a little bit when shaken. I think it is just normal tolerances, the same thing that allows the gun to work when dirty, caked with mud, etc.