Realistic No 1 prices?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andylate

Bearcat
There is a local gun shop with a used 1-A in 30-06 priced at $850 (+-). They normally put box and rings on the price tag if the gun has them, so I assume it is just the bare rifle, in VG condition, newer production (black recoil pad). Simple question is, how much too high are they? I have a 1-S 45-70 that I paid $700 for with box, rings, sling swivels, etc. I was told that was on the high end, so I just don't know what a fair price would be for the 30-06.
Anyone willing to make a suggestion on a fair price / provide some guidance?

Thank You

Andy

P.S. The same store has 2 stainless 7.62X39 No 1 rifles.

picketpin

Buckeye
It's not rare or uncommon and yes MSRP has gone up but I'd place it in the $700 - $750 range especially without the box and rings.

You can probably get them cheaper BUT factory rings are $36 each so $72 and shipping if you were to get them from the factory.

The ONLY thing that would get me above that price point would be if it just had such outstanding wood that you can't walk by without stopping and going WOW!!!

Ross

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
I just bought 2 locally--a 22-250 200 yr liberty with a custom stock for $650 AND A VERY NICE WOOD 1A IN 300 WIN MAG WITH SCOPE FOR $600

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
In the local shops around here, a preowned No.1 is about 450-550 if in nice condition. Beaters are less. I try to stay out of pawnshops and high end stores, as the prices there can be a bit puzzling. I think even the spectulators would think 850 is pretty tough for a newer preowned No.1 with the black pad etc. It seems that the time for funny money has past in most shops; seems to be more realism in pricing now.

The 550 number has usually finer wood, and the 425-450 number has plainer wood(usually a no.1b type). I purchased another 218 Bee No.1S for 500 a few weeks ago, and probably paid too much, it did not move in the local shop. The shop owner said it did not sell because of the factory ammo prices now. I told him it could become another caliber and that I would enjoy it with the new chambering or barrel or whatever; both of us were happy with the deal; it just worked out.

I am different than the typical No.1 buyer perhaps, in that I mainly buy for the action alone, it is hard to go back once you savor the aftermarket wood and barrels; but as most know wood work costs money.

I personally think that the 850 is kinda on the proud end, but each part of the country has its own situation now. One can always put the wood/barrel off the rifle on Gunbroker and recoup some of the outlay if it really calls to you.

stanimals2

Bearcat
Really put me on the list to !! I paid 575 for a 7mm in about 98% last month and that was a steal around here. I looked at a new 22/250 stainless, laminate yesterday and it was 999.00

andylate

Bearcat
Thank you all for the replies, I think I am going to have to visit roofinspector's home town. I'm not in the market for another No 1 right now, still waiting to shoot my 45-70 to be honest. I do know one of these days I want a 1-A in 30-06, thats the only reason I even looked at it. And no, the wood wasn't standout quality, just normal, nice Ruger No 1 wood. Unfortunately, the No 1s are not common (or Cheap) here.

Andy

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Keep the dreams going, another one will come along at the right price and configuration(if needbe) for you.

It is not all wine and roses here either; just at this time the No.1 market locally is down; as we know, that works both ways.

I believe that No.1 pricing varies a lot by region and by method of selling/buying. I look at the internet sites and large gunshows but really cannot buy from those sources very often because of optimistic pricing.

I am not very particular as to what type of No.1 I am looking at, just that it is reasonably clean, and in my price bracket. I do not get too excited about buying, not into hype of manufacturing quantities, and do not sell or trade.

One of the true beauties of the No.1 is its flexiblity. Any of the No.1's can become another configuration fairly easily; especially the metal work.

I get laughed at by the local gun collectors because I do not participate in their world; that is their own business; not mine.

keep on the outlook, another one is just around the corner............ :wink:

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
How Much do you these 300H&Hs would go for?
NO1s300HH.jpg

dakota1911

Buckeye
I bought a No. 1 International in 30-06 a few years ago for $650 down here in the SW with rings and no scope, but prices have gone up even as the rest of the economy has gone south. That gun was pristine.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I paid $600 a year or two ago for a 1B 30-06 with the red pad here in town. Used gun with nice wood and no dings. No box, no rings either.
Seeing NIB guns now for $875 here in town.

mrwickwire

Bearcat
Internet pricing has been crazy. However, I noticed that they are starting to go down. I can now find some online for 750. The crazy thing is that I often see used #1 going for the same price as new ones. I don't see why, the wood does not look nicer.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
mrwickwire":1x04e2yn said:
Internet pricing has been crazy. However, I noticed that they are starting to go down. I can now find some online for 750. The crazy thing is that I often see used #1 going for the same price as new ones. I don't see why, the wood does not look nicer.

• They hold their value quite well.
• Wood isn't necessarily a deciding factor in all cases. Some will pay more for it, some won't.
• Chambering and variant have more to do with price as well.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
I recently got two on GB, for less than 600 each. wood is very nice, not super-super, there is one on here for 600---be patient and selective.