Real Guns Review of the .454 and .480 Brisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAJohn

Hunter
Jim, You are welcome. I have been a fan of Joe's for many years dating back to when he lived in the San Jose area. He addresses the engineering "science" of firearms better than anyone out there that I know. Also, he has a good dab of humor in many of his articles.

John

Jim Puke

Hunter
I like these guns, have waited for the .480 for a long time...but now that they are here...I will pass at this price. If I see a used one at a bargain, down the road, I may buy it, just 'cause I have wanted one for a while. But, I think that I am going to buy the BFR as I have been putting this off and now seems as good a time as any to give it a go.

Jim Puke

Hunter
SAJohn said:
Keep in mind that a BFR is a lot bulkier and heavier than this new Brisley.

Yeah...I don't have a reason to be dragging this thing around down here in Ga...ocassional hunting gun only, means to the stand and back to the truck...or on the range.

dougader

Hunter
Msrp is $969. And it's got a Bisley gripframe. My favorite for heavy recoiling revolvers.

I've thought about the BFRs, but I'd have to get the frame modified and change to much around to my liking. I might as well drop coin for a used Freedom Arms revolver at that point... and I'd still have that ugly hammer.

I want one of these 480 blackhawks in a bad way.

I've got a brand new BFR 475/480 I'm thinking about putting on the market. It's unfired (was sold that way and appears to be). Comes as an 8" barrel measured from the front of the cylinder. Was going to send it to Huntington to do some custom work on it, shorten barrel, alter the grip to a F/A type grip, and some other stuff. I'd sell it for $900 + shipping. But I have no idea how much this new gun is. If any one is interested pm me. BFR's are very nice guns. I also have another BFR.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The fine folks at RealGuns decided to slander me for posting a correction about the materials used in the new guns. They posted that the whole gun was Carpenter Custom 465 stainless, when the frame is 415 and the barrel is 15-5. Only the cylinder is 465. Even after I praised them for their excellent coverage and posted links to their article on several forums. I guess their ego couldn't handle it. Cindy was the individual who answered my emails after they banned me on Facebook.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I've seen some sell on gunbrokers for $729 plus $20 shipping and no charge for using credit cards. In a month I bet you can get one for under $700 shipped.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
Would the .480 Ruger factory cylinder be long enough to handle a .475 Linebaugh if a reamer was gently applied?

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Here we go... John, wouldn't it be smarter to cut your .475 brass down to .480 length and load to .480 specs? Any real world increase in "power" at revolver ranges is imaginary.

xtratoy

Buckeye
CraigC said:
The fine folks at RealGuns decided to slander me for posting a correction about the materials used in the new guns. They posted that the whole gun was Carpenter Custom 465 stainless, when the frame is 415 and the barrel is 15-5. Only the cylinder is 465. Even after I praised them for their excellent coverage and posted links to their article on several forums. I guess their ego couldn't handle it. Cindy was the individual who answered my emails after they banned me on Facebook.
Did they have it wrong on their facebook page or the article linked above? The article from the link posted by the OP http://www.realguns.com/articles/742.htm states "The big bore Bisley Super Blackhawk's primary strength is hiding in plain sight. While the frame is made of investment cast 415 ‎stainless, the cylinder is made of he t treated Carpenter Custom 465® stainless, a premium quality, high strength, age-hardening stainless alloy and the barrel is made of 15-5 PH stainless steel." Did they change this after you brought it to their attention or was just on facebook that they had it wrong ? I would think that they would appreciate any correction you or anyone else could supply to insure accuracy of this new offering from Ruger.

Latest posts