Real Guns Review of the .454 and .480 Brisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
That's the correction they made to the article afterwards. It originally said the cylinder, frame and barrel were 465 stainless. They argued with me the whole way and rather than conceding that they did have it wrong, they smeared me on Facebook. After they finally did what I suggested and called Ruger. Doesn't seem to be any shortage of ego at RealGuns.

dougader

Hunter
I read it when they had the wrong info about the whole thing being made of the Carpenter steel, too.

Pickle

Bearcat
There was one at the gunshow in Knoxville Tn today in 454. The grips were horrible on this gun. There must have been a 1/8 inch gap in them on both sides. You could lay the pistol on its side and look completely thru the grip frame. Other than that, most everything else had a very good fit.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Pickle said:
There was one at the gunshow in Knoxville Tn today in 454. The grips were horrible on this gun. There must have been a 1/8 inch gap in them on both sides. You could lay the pistol on its side and look completely thru the grip frame. Other than that, most everything else had a very good fit.

Did you get to handle it?

I ask because I wonder if it has the New Vaquero and Flat Top indexing pawl system to align the chambers properly with the loading trough?

Pickle

Bearcat
Yes, I handled it but the dealer had a zip tie on it so you could not cock and rotate the cylinder. Other than the grip issue, it was very nice. you could use it to drive tent stakes if you go camping with it. I was kinda surprised at how heavy it was compared to my SBH.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
CraigC had accuracy of fact as his motivator.
Realguns.com had advertising profit as theirs.
I've never found Realguns or others on the web to be particularly accurate or comprehensive in detailing new guns. Mostly ad copy and a rush to get any story out first...

- and to the idjits trying to make a 475L out of the 480R - well, they just don't get the point (for some 15 years now) of the 480R.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
mohavesam said:
CraigC had accuracy of fact as his motivator...

- and to the idjits trying to make a 475L out of the 480R - well, they just don't get the point (for some 15 years now) of the 480R.

10X to both the above... :wink:

I like Glen's take on the .480 Ruger:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell480Ruger.htm

Personally, I bet a 400 gr cast bullet travelling a leisurely 1,100 fps would satisfy my stump thumping needs...both fore and aft! :lol:

dougader

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
mohavesam said:

Personally, I bet a 400 gr cast bullet travelling a leisurely 1,100 fps would satisfy my stump thumping needs...both fore and aft! :lol:

Hey, thanks for posting that link! Great stuff!

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
mohavesam said:

I agree. I don't see why a good 400 grain cast at 1100 or so would not take anything that walks, yet not be that abusive and not a blast like a 500S&W, etc.