Reactions To Mandatory Buick, GMC OnStar Plan($905 to $1,675 depending on the vehicle model)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Toyman

Single-Sixer
Supposedly you pay for the service whether you activate it or not.
I have used ONSTAR while on trips. I got caught in accidents and needed an alterative route which ONSTAR was able to do.
Trying to cancel ONSTAR was like pulling teeth.

KIR

Blackhawk
All manufacturers do the same thing to get your monies. If it is not one way it is another.

eveled

Hunter
I thought the internal lock on S&W guns was a bad idea, this one is a close second.

buckaroo

Single-Sixer
You will find yourself on Halstead street in Chicago.
...enjoying Greek cuisine. ;)
I suppose this "feature" would benefit me, as I don't know where I'm going half the time and I don't know where I've been the other half! 😳
Get a Garmin, you'll never look back. OnStar is to continually keep their hands in your pockets and when the government gives GM the right tax break to track you.

RSIno1

Hunter
According to the link it also includes Alexa, and other intrusive junk. What happens if you tell Alexa to go to Hell? Will it take you to Michigan? Or Norway?
People missed your point.

Attachments

• sign-on-building.jpg
    sign-on-building.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 5
  • hell-railway-station-trondelag-county-norway-building-famous-its-special-name-70795842.jpg
    hell-railway-station-trondelag-county-norway-building-famous-its-special-name-70795842.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 5

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Oh brother just another money making scam like expensive extended warranties. Keep it.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Members here are so very reactionary in their comments. Many times we need to research just a bit before the wild conjectures begin flowing.

This is nothing new. GM is not even close to the first to do this. With GM, it started with WiFi being built into the OnStar module so a subscription was required to use the vehicle WiFi but many other manufacturers require a monthly paid subscription for certain options like heated seats and remote start to function.

Pretty much all GM vehicles built over the last couple of decades do in fact have OnStar despite comments above. Most vehicles up to a few years ago can have it completely disabled by removing its fuse. Beware, in the late 2000's, GM started wiring the OnStar in the communications bus so the vehicle will not function with the module unplugged but WILL with its fuse out.

The closer we get to GOVERNMENT mandated electric vehicles, the more this will happen. I just completed 12 hours of EV training last week and knowing how influential Google is on the operation of some these EV's is scary. I choose to put blame where it is justified. Gripe about Buick and GMC all you want but the longer I am in the industry, the more I realize there is no difference in the makes or their practices and the Feds have more to do with the veins of impropriety than the corporations.

“Pretty much all GM vehicles built over the last couple of decades do in fact have OnStar despite comments above.”

My 2018 Silverado Crew Cab WT is an exception. Not equipped with OnStar. That played a big part in why I bought it.