Reactions To Mandatory Buick, GMC OnStar Plan($905 to $1,675 depending on the vehicle model)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
According to the link it also includes Alexa, and other intrusive junk. What happens if you tell Alexa to go to Hell? Will it take you to Michigan? Or Norway?
As an Ohio State grad,,,,,that would be Ann Arbor. North until you smell it and west until you step in it. Go Bucks!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Just to clarify, there are a couple towns/communities named Hell. MI, and Norway are the ones I knew about. Probably a couple others also. Search on Google Earth for the name, or just ask Alexa. ;)

Armybrat

Buckeye
According to the link it also includes Alexa, and other intrusive junk. What happens if you tell Alexa to go to Hell? Will it take you to Michigan? Or Norway?
When I got my latest iPhone 4 or 5 years ago, something called Siri popped up and asked “How can I help you?”.
I immediately replied, “Siri, f-off” and have never heard a peep out of it since.

Another example of everything turning to a subscription based pay plan.

That article said they (GM) estimate customers will pay an additional $135 for monthly subscriptions. Wow! I wonder what sort of subscriptions cost that much? Or what would be worth it?

kmoore

Buckeye
Around 20 years ago, the onstar system would have someone phone the police. Dispatch would 1st tell us where the crash was and if air bags deployed. Before we arrived we got color, make, model and if people were injured. The black box in the car would tell us and GM how fast they were traveling before and at impact, when brakes were used, seat belts used. I can imagine now they know more about you and where you go then your family.

Cholo

Staff member
I think they're all going to be looking at ways to up their bottom line. I see a back down coming from GM. Only when folks balk at buying their vehicles with the mandatory OnStar will you see any change.

"The auto industry is racing towards a future full of microtransactions"

I would tell them to shut it down permanently, remove it or they pay for it. As soon as they say "We can't do that", I get up and walk away and see what they say then. You know they will want the "subscription" paid by automatic deduction from your bank account. Billing to a CC won't work because you can tell the CC company to stop paying, then what would GM/On Star do - disable your vehicle? That would be a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

hittman

Staff member
I agree making this hard wired for 3 years is a bad idea. But if you don’t want it, look for a different model or brand.

There’s a few things in my 2021 RST I don’t care for but ….. it came built with them and I bought it anyway.

BTW ~ GM don’t and they ain’t gonna remove On Star. I think even if you don’t have it activated, OnStar can and does still track you and your habits.

Huskerguy72

Bearcat
I drove GM products most of my life, worked in a GM dealership as a young guy. I will not purchase their automobiles, a pickup maybe. I have a 17 Ram and love it and the computer navigation and alert system is all optional for $400, one time fee. I said no. I am not going anywhere I can't figure out with my cell phone or regular map. I have no idea what GM is thinking, are they like Peloton?

contender

Ruger Guru
If GM gets away with this nonsense,, you can bet other makers will follow suit. I see a market,, (maybe black market) in disabling such crap.

It's all about money & with the money they also get more control.

Latest posts