Re: SR-22 Design Flaw:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevek44

Bearcat
Has anyone else noticed that you have to remove the picatinny rail from the top of the receiver in order to clean the SR-22. This means if you have a Scope or a Red-Dot installed and sighted in you will have to re-sight it every time you go to the range after it's been cleaned. I got this info direct from one of the techs at Ruger...Don't make much sense to me.

SteveK44.. :roll:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I don't strip the whole thing down after every outing. Never felt the need. use good ammo and it doesn't get that dirty. The bbl yes but the action, nope.

9x19

Hunter
Ruger didn't design it... Nordic Components did.

http://buy.nordiccomp.com/

It's been that way since before Ruger began selling them... I use a bit of compressed air to blow out the action, and only clean the barrel if accuracy degrades... then I use a home-made pull-through made from weed-whacker line.

mrbieler

Bearcat
Not sure if I'm following.

I mispoke in my original response and I've edited this post, but I'm still not clear what the concern/issue is.

When I took the bolt and trigger group out of my SR-22, I had to remove 3 screws.

Complete Rifle
sr22takedown1.jpg

Remove two barrel shroud bolts
sr22takedown2.jpg

Remove single screw holding top and bottom together. Rotate the barrel and receiver out of the lower housing making sure your safety is centered. You're left with the barreled receiver and the top rail.
sr22takedown3.jpg

How much further do you need to go in order to get to the action and clean the rifle? At this point, it's like any other 10/22 with optics. Just with a beefier rail on top.

Rob72

Bearcat
stevek44":3toxwfc1 said:
I got this info direct from one of the techs at Ruger...Don't make much sense to me.

SteveK44.. :roll:
I'm sure you did. :lol: (Recognizing Ruger's issues with non-OEM parts.) With a red-dot, I doubt you'll notice any difference. If it is a concern, switch the screws to Allen heads and torque them in place (I'd probably start with 25 in/lbs in aluminum). Nordic Components is good gear; better than OEM, in this case. :wink:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have one of these stock kits and while I didn't use an optic on the rifle I did use it with a Norell Trigger Pack (Full auto) and my biggest complaint was that you had to take so much of the gun apart to clean the bolt/action. With full auto and a supressor, the dirt really accumulates pretty quick and after a few uses I took the stock off the machinegun and I have not put it together again on another 10/22.

They look neat, but a purpose built 22lr would have been much better then this setup. I am not at all impressed with mine.

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey...just noticed something...Does everybody's gun have a 280- prefix serial number? Was thinking I'd heard of one that was serial numbered right along with the 10/22...with a 354- prefix.
Chet15

DavidABQ

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":2tx7it99 said:
I don't strip the whole thing down after every outing. Never felt the need. use good ammo and it doesn't get that dirty. The bbl yes but the action, nope.

Wow! I clean my 10/22 after every second magazine!

Just kidding.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
WyoGunner":3d0g6d60 said:
You are guys are forgetting the biggest design flaw of all.... the price.

+1 i looked at these as well as the colt and smith ar15 22`s glad i decided to go with a tactical solutions upper and spikes lower. the ruger is by far the heaviest one of the bunch. the colt well, it isnt a colt by any stretch and the smith well, its all plastic and cheap feeling to me, the rugers too much of a tank and i couldnt imagine lugging it all day. ive got a ruger i converted to 17hm2 and i like it allot but honestly i have as much in that ruger now as i do in the tacsol ar and if push ever comes to shove its bye bye ruger. hope that never happens though. ive had 5 10/22`s and my first one racked up over 25000 rounds and could still shoot remington target ammo into one ragged hole at 25 yards. though the newer ones dont seem as tight with factory barrels. they have always been a Rosie O'Donnell to clean. the bore snake helps but the action catches allot of crud. as do all 22 blow back semi autos. thats one place where the ar`s really shine is in there ease of maintenance. one pin opens up the action remove the bolt and everythings there for inspection or cleaning. imo ruger missed the boat with this cut and paste solution and should of done up a clone of there new gas piston ar in 22 lr. could of done something along the lines of the S&W ar. at 600 bones wow

CraigC

Hawkeye
WyoGunner":25nbbnkk said:
It ain't a cheap plinker, it's all CNC machined aluminum and hard anodized. Actually, for what you get, the SR-22 is quite the bargain. With a street price of around $450, you sure as hell can't build one for as much. Figure $220 for a 10/22 carbine, plus $225 for a Nordic kit. There's your asking price for the SR-22. Now you have to add a hammer forged and threaded barrel, flash hider, pistol grip, buttstock and forend tube. Oh yeah, now you can't send it to Ruger "as-is" for any repair work. How much is factory support worth???

bada61265":25nbbnkk said:
+1.....glad i decided to go with a tactical solutions upper and spikes lower.
How can you balk at the cost of the SR-22 while your solution cost at twice as much??? At present I'm looking at getting my first AR, using a Spike's lower and you sure as hell can't build one for $450!!!

the ruger is by far the heaviest one of the bunch.
6½lbs is enough to complain about??? Yes, it's almost all aluminum so I would expect it to be heavier than the all-plastic S&W. What does your all aluminum AR weigh?

one pin opens up the action remove the bolt and everythings there for inspection or cleaning.
As one would expect from a battle rifle.

imo ruger missed the boat with this cut and paste solution....
I wholeheartedly disagree. To compete with the Ruger's price point, the others like the Umarex and S&W are all plastic. The Ruger is still a long-proven 10/22 that will accept any aftermarket barrel or accessory as well as any AR-15 buttstock, forend or pistol grip. It will be around long after the plastic replicas are scrap and shoot the pants off them in the meantime.

No, IMHO the only thing on the market that beats the SR-22 is an AR with a dedicated upper at twice the price. The replicas are just too cheaply manufactured to be anything more than a trainer or plinker.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Solution (original question): BORESNAKE & aerosol cleaners.

c'mon! It's a rimfire plinker. It's a 10/22.

Not a battle rifle, not an Olympic competition rifle. Not a museum piece.

stevek44

Bearcat
mohavesam":3qknrgzl said:
Solution (original question): BORESNAKE & aerosol cleaners.

c'mon! It's a rimfire plinker. It's a 10/22.

I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, it's just that I'm a little OCD and prefer to totally disassemble my firearms every fourth or fifth time I clean them. I guess it's It's just my quirk and not necessarily a design flaw. Sorry guys.

SteveK44... :(

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with the original poster. I was not able to remove the barreled action from the lower frame until I removed the top cover from the SR-22 receiver. The barreled action has to be removed at an angle and the top cover was contacting the rear of the lower frame. This wasn't for cleaning purposes, but because I was swapping out a few parts. A pain for sure, but a motivation not to spend money on replacement parts! I wouldn't call it a design flaw because some people apparently can make it work the way the Ruger manual describes it. Mine must be a bit of a tight fit.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
CraigC":1sguabs5 said:
WyoGunner":1sguabs5 said:
It ain't a cheap plinker, it's all CNC machined aluminum and hard anodized. Actually, for what you get, the SR-22 is quite the bargain. With a street price of around $450, you sure as hell can't build one for as much. Figure $220 for a 10/22 carbine, plus $225 for a Nordic kit. There's your asking price for the SR-22. Now you have to add a hammer forged and threaded barrel, flash hider, pistol grip, buttstock and forend tube. Oh yeah, now you can't send it to Ruger "as-is" for any repair work. How much is factory support worth???

bada61265":1sguabs5 said:
+1.....glad i decided to go with a tactical solutions upper and spikes lower.
How can you balk at the cost of the SR-22 while your solution cost at twice as much??? At present I'm looking at getting my first AR, using a Spike's lower and you sure as hell can't build one for $450!!!

actually you could do a tac sol right now for about 100 more than the rugers selling price at gander mtn. its definatly worth 2 times the price but in reality is only at most half again as much.

the ruger is by far the heaviest one of the bunch.
6½lbs is enough to complain about??? Yes, it's almost all aluminum so I would expect it to be heavier than the all-plastic S&W. What does your all aluminum AR weigh?

id guess at least a half lb less than the ruger but id carry it if it was even heavier. the point there is really that because this ruger has all the fake reciever hardware hanging on it its alot heavier than the standard 10/22
it maybe cnc. but what you see on the outside just hides the same old 10/22 on the inside. certainly its heavier than the colt and definatly the S&W.

one pin opens up the action remove the bolt and everythings there for inspection or cleaning.
As one would expect from a battle rifle.

yea well theres an observation . youd think ruger could come up with something better in this regard. but its a 10/22 with some pricey CNC stuff hanging on it.

imo ruger missed the boat with this cut and paste solution....
I wholeheartedly disagree. To compete with the Ruger's price point, the others like the Umarex and S&W are all plastic. The Ruger is still a long-proven 10/22 that will accept any aftermarket barrel or accessory as well as any AR-15 buttstock, forend or pistol grip. It will be around long after the plastic replicas are scrap and shoot the pants off them in the meantime.

id think s&w owners might disagree/ maybe colt owners too though imo the colts a pos.

No, IMHO the only thing on the market that beats the SR-22 is an AR with a dedicated upper at twice the price. The replicas are just too cheaply manufactured to be anything more than a trainer or plinker.

imo the thing that beats the sr22 is just about any other 10/22. tac sol uppers are 499 right now. if you have an ar already its takes 60 seconds to swap uppers. and the quality is well above any 10/22 from the factory. so id say its within the relm of possibility to own one of these for far less than 2x the price of the sr22.

CraigC

Hawkeye
bada61265":1jlv1isk said:
the point there is really that because this ruger has all the fake reciever hardware hanging on it its alot heavier than the standard 10/22
So??? I'm pretty picky about weight and the SR-22 is not the least bit overweight for a .22LR.

but what you see on the outside just hides the same old 10/22 on the inside.
Yep, with all its aftermarket support and plethora of barrels and accessories.

certainly its heavier than the colt and definatly the S&W.
Why the surprise, they're all plastic? Haven't handled the Colt but the S&W is waaaay too light and cheap feeling for me to take it seriously.

youd think ruger could come up with something better in this regard.
What would be "better"? A cheap AR replica like the S&W 15-22 or Umarex? A dedicated upper on their SR-556 platform at twice the price?

id think s&w owners might disagree/ maybe colt owners too though imo the colts a pos.
They can disagree all they like. First impressions are extremely important and I trust my own judgement. My first impression of the S&W was that it was almost all plastic and cheap feeling. I just wouldn't consider them at all. If what I wanted was a .22LR AR-15, I would spend the extra money to get a dedicated upper. If what I wanted was a "tactical" .22 that accepts AR furniture, the SR-22 would get the nod. It's a good base gun, it's a good value and you can't build one for less. I'm strongly considering one as I was thinking about building a Nordic-equipped 10/22 with a match grade heavy barrel for precision and long range shooting. Something that the 10/22 allows me to do in five minutes with an allen wrench. Can your Spike's upper shoot ¼" groups at 50yds???

if you have an ar already its takes 60 seconds to swap uppers. and the quality is well above any 10/22 from the factory. so id say its within the relm of possibility to own one of these for far less than 2x the price of the sr22.
I think it pretty much goes without saying that if you already have $250 invested towards an AR .22LR that a dedicated upper 'may' be cheaper than investing in an all new rifle. Not everybody already has an AR. If you do, then obviously a dedicated upper is a good choice. If you don't, the Ruger is a good option. All just depends on what you want. Like I said before, there is no aftermarket support for the plastic replicas. The 10/22 can be anything you want it to be and with the Nordic/SR-22, it's compatible with AR-15 buttstocks, grips and forends. Obviously there is a market for it as the Nordic has been available for some time and Ruger saw fit to legitimize it. Maybe you are unfamiliar with how significant the "tactical" 10/22 market is???

If you don't like them, that's cool, you're not required to buy one. Just seems that you're extremely biased against it for no apparent reason.

9x19

Hunter
Well, I have to say that I agree with CraigC on the SR22... it is a quality built 10/22 with flair.

I will have to disagree on the S&W M&P 15-22... I like that rifle quite a bit and in fact it is the first new S&W I have purchased in the past 10 years... in fact, I liked the first one so much, I bought a second! :D

(With a dealer's cost of $360, the S&W can be found quite reasonably priced too!)

SWMP22ar.jpg

SWMP22sr.jpg

If I wanted a dedicated upper for my ARs, I would have bought one, but I prefer whole firearms to half firearms, so I know I'd end up building a dedicated lower for it... and now we're talking a lot more than the cost of an SR22 or M&P 15-22!

mrbieler

Bearcat
The S&W has my attention and still may end up in my inventory. I went with the 10/22 for a couple of reasons. A) here in California I can use my preban 25 round mags which is not an option for any of the AR types. I'd be stuck using 10 round mags. B) the 10/22 is a proven design and the Nordic housing is proven as well.

For my $0.02, the S&W and Ruger have hit the nail on the head with their offerings and both will probably sell very well. As much as I'd like a dedicated .22 AR, a full gun is going to put you in the $800~$1000 range. Maybe I'll do that eventually. I don't want to be swapping out uppers when I go to the range. The Colt and GSG are interesting, but I'd rather stick with the aluminum Ruger or polymer S&W then pot metal.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
not biased against ruger or 10/22`s ive owned 5 10/22`s a bearcat and single six convertable. just gussying up a 10 22 with all that tacticool stuff hides the rifle under extra weight and more parts to take off just to get into it. all this so you have a fo ar look. theres more practical alternatives. i dislike fake ar`s in general. at least the smith has all the stuff in the right places. as far as 1/4" groups at 50 with it now you are talking spending as much as a full ar . i am glad to see there prices came down. alot of my misgivings were on there original prices at $600, now i saw one today for $429 at a local shop where i picked up a spikes lower for my tacsol 22 upper. this is certainly more in line with the smith. btw the spikes lower and tacsol upper were 750. not double but maybe too high for some ill agree. as a comparison i just did a mach2 conversion, new stock and barrel, trigger group and a decent scope to top it off, total , about 750. same as the ar.

Latest posts