Re: SR-22 Design Flaw:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
bada61265":2zug9zhk said:
just gussying up a 10 22 with all that tacticool stuff hides the rifle under extra weight...
You're really talking out of both sides of your mouth on the weight issue. You deride the S&W for being too light and cheap feeling yet the SR-22 is too heavy??? All the while it's probably at least a pound less than your AR.

all this so you have a fo ar look. theres more practical alternatives.
It's far more than just a "look". You get most of the AR's ergonomics with the most user-friendly and upgradeable .22 rifle ever created. Actually, you combine two of the most user-upgradeable platforms in existence into one. What could be more practical than a 10/22 that accepts AR furniture???

i dislike fake ar`s in general.
This is probably the core of the issue with you. You can't look down your nose at it like it's a "fake AR", because it ain't. It ain't meant to be but for some reason AR nuts have a real problem with this genre of rifle. As if it's beneath them. As if those with "tactical" .22's that aren't AR's are less manly and have to grow up before they're ready for a "real AR". Please, if your manhood is so closely linked to your guns I'd suggest there are much more significant issues looming overhead. No, in reality it's simply one more option for those who like to tinker and fiddle with their guns. Just one more direction for us to build them just like we want, now with any combination of AR furniture we desire.

as far as 1/4" groups at 50 with it now you are talking spending as much as a full ar.
Maybe but show me a better way to a .22LR in the AR-style that can be that accurate at the same price point. Impossible. Take a $450 SR-22, add anywhere from $50-$300 in aftermarket trigger parts (or a new Kidd housing) and a $200 barrel plus an hour or two with common hand tools and you're there. Can't do that with a dedicated upper and certainly not with a conversion.

alot of my misgivings were on there original prices at $600
You and a lot of folks but somehow everybody magically forgot that nothing sells for MSRP. I can't tell you how many times I responded to extremely belligerent posts about the cost to say that Rugers typically go for 75% of MSRP. To no avail, the sky was still falling.

not double but maybe too high for some ill agree.
Not "too high" for me but there's no reason to spend $750 on a dedicated AR if an SR-22 will serve your needs for less money. In some cases, as I've outlined, it may even better serve your needs. Particularly if you desire a high level of precision. I've got over $900 in my "tactical" 10/22 so I'm not afraid to spend a little on my rimfires. I built mine because I wanted to be able to do anything I wanted with it. Didn't want to be straddled with the limitations of a dedicated .22LR AR. If I had wanted an AR then, I would've bought one.

as a comparison i just did a mach2 conversion.....same as the ar.
But do they serve the same purposes? I seriously doubt you get the level of accuracy out of your AR that you get with the .17HM2.

CraigC

Hawkeye
9x19":5h3h64hz said:
I will have to disagree on the S&W M&P 15-22...
How do yours shoot? I'm more than willing to reconsider my position if they really are more than just an inexpensive plinker.

9x19

Hunter
CraigC,

I haven't had a chance to wring the S&Ws out for best accuracy, but the first one was promising enough that I bought the second and set it up with a 2.5x-8x scope. I hope to have time to test it this week... weather permitting.

The first one, with the red-dot mounted will easily shoot just under an inch at 40 yards... with CCI ammo... and it didn't have a single bobble... even with the bulk-packed stuff!

stevek44

Bearcat
9x19 said:
Well, I have to say that I agree with CraigC on the SR22... it is a quality built 10/22 with flair.

I will have to disagree on the S&W M&P 15-22... I like that rifle quite a bit and in fact it is the first new S&W I have purchased in the past 10 years... in fact, I liked the first one so much, I bought a second! :D

(With a dealer's cost of $360, the S&W can be found quite reasonably priced too!)

SWMP22r.jpg

SWMP22sr.jpg

----------------------------------------------------
9x19...Good looking guns my friend.

I have to admit, I've looked at the Smith and was quite impressed. They take down easy for cleaning, and feel good coming up to the shoulder. I'm not overly excited about the magazine, but it does make the little gun look more like a true AR. Scheels should have a couple more in today or tomorrow, at which time I plan to snatch one up. I have plenty Rugers, and love everyone of them, but perhaps it's time to add a little variety.

SteveK44... :D

9x19

Hunter
Steve,

That's how I felt... variety is a good thing, and these M&P 15-22s seem to be better than the GSG5s... at least compared to the single GSG5 I owned.

The mags are a bit too long for my tastes, and I would like to see them make a 15 round mag, but they feed great and are quite sturdy.

www.44mag.com has them for $17.99 each.

stevek44

Bearcat
9x19:

Picked this little number up last night, and I can hardly wait to get to the range and pop off a couple hundred rounds. I love the way S&W put it together, easy cleaning with no muss no fuss. I just might snatch up a Ruger Tactical Target Model, but for the AR look-a-like S&W wins for me.

SteveK44... :D

2luos1u.jpg

mjqqs6.jpg

9x19

Hunter
I think you'll be pleased, and from what I've read the lower is mil-spec in terms of pins and innards, so any AR trigger/hammer should fit without issue... I may have to order a couple more Rock River two-stage setups after Christmas! :D

BTW, the S&W rep who I exchanged emails with said the 10 round mags (for their nanny-state compliant models) will be on their web-site once they are available. The 25 round mags are just a bit long for bench or prone shooting!

9x19

Hunter
Someone's being a bit immature about having their opinions challenged, but it's not Craig C... :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
bada61265":juv7xt5s said:
your kind of an ass arnt you craig?
Wow, you've been here two weeks and already name-calling??? I'm respectfully challenging your opinion because it does not seem to be based in reality. If that's too much for you to handle without personal attacks, maybe you should go elsewhere.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
sorry for the language. didnt seem to be anything respectfull about the tone in your challenges though. mostly you think your opinions are valid and others are not and i just dont feel like going on and on with some retarded point by point with you. so go ahead break this down and show us how good you are with copy and paste..

CraigC

Hawkeye
Nope, no more from me. I thought we were having a healthy debate but it's obvious now that you just want to spout your unfounded bias that has no basis in reality and not be challenged on any point. So I'll just let it rest where it is. All my points have been made and I don't wanna waste any more time banging my head against this particular brick wall. But seriously, what did you expect on the RUGER forum???

smokndav

Bearcat
I just tried to disassemble my sr22 and had the same issue as several other listers. Why would one come apart, as the one pictured, and others not? Is it just a tight fit and can it be forced apart without damaging anything?[/quote]

Latest posts