Re: Ruger 44 carbine rescue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike28w

Bearcat
Just a quick note to the owners of the 44 carbine (old model)that have had the front lip of the trigger assembly fail and make your gun essentially a "parts gun".....
I had this issue about a month ago. I was told by folks here that the part was unobtainable , that I was SOL..... I contacted Ruger and they said they not longer keep parts for the gun and seemed rather offended that I would even ask ......
Well...here's what I did.... After a lot of checking around , I found that Numrich stocks a part ( #226960) that was actually for a slightly upgraded version of my gun ( $82 )....the new assembly fit almost perfectly except that my gunsmith did need to do a little machinig of the lip on the action itself....He put all of the trigger parts in the new assembly and did the machining and charged me $100....
Well I just came back from shooting it. It works perfectly !! I have no problem with amount of money I had to spend to get it up and running but I was disappointed in Rugers apathy and surprised that so many on the forum were so quick to suggest that I give up on it....

Anyway, I just wanted to get the info out that if you have a broken 44 carbine that it does not need to be a paperweight ! When I placed my order with Numrich, I was told that they had over 300 of these assemblies in stock. You do want to use a good gunsmith, my gunsmith had no trouble with the machining but said it was tedious to move all of the trigger parts into the new assembly....He wished he could grow another hand or two....

So that's my story...hope it helps someone !! mike

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Thanks for the info ,as I told you ,I don't shoot mine much for fear of breakage but now I will do so now that I know someone has parts .
Lou

mike7mm08

Buckeye
You got very lucky finding the part. I as well as many others are aware of numrich. This is the first time I have seen them list this part. I have looked in the past. Maybe Ruger did some cleaning lately and shipped the whole lot of this off to Numrich.Wondering if numrich listed this as a Ruger part or if this was it an aftermarket part. You also got lucky that Numrich sent you the correct part and it was in a usable condition. I have not had very good luck with their parts matching their description. What type of condition was this part in? I might have to order one to keep on hand in case I run into issues with one of my many carbines.

mike28w

Bearcat
mike7mm08 said:
..... Maybe Ruger did some cleaning lately and shipped the whole lot of this off to Numrich.......

Well, if they did, they certainly kept it a secret from me.... I don't know where the parts came from...... Mine looked new.... no wear at all....

Keep in mind that if you have a similar model to mine, you'll have to have your gunsmith do a little grinding on the action to make it fit..... This new part is much better designed and I'd be very surprised if it ever broke. "This is the way they should have made it in the first place" ( to quote my gunsmith ...) !

I'm looking forward to shooting the heck out of this little gun !! It works well with Hornady Leverevolution ammo ( the ammo with the soft plastic points) for hiking in the mountains and cheap ( ??) Blazer ammo for plinking !

Good luck ! mike

nova4444

Bearcat
mike28w said:
Just a quick note to the owners of the 44 carbine (old model)that have had the front lip of the trigger assembly fail and make your gun essentially a "parts gun".....
I had this issue about a month ago. I was told by folks here that the part was unobtainable , that I was SOL..... I contacted Ruger and they said they not longer keep parts for the gun and seemed rather offended that I would even ask ......
Well...here's what I did.... After a lot of checking around , I found that Numrich stocks a part ( #226960) that was actually for a slightly upgraded version of my gun ( $82 )....the new assembly fit almost perfectly except that my gunsmith did need to do a little machinig of the lip on the action itself....He put all of the trigger parts in the new assembly and did the machining and charged me $100....
Well I just came back from shooting it. It works perfectly !! I have no problem with amount of money I had to spend to get it up and running but I was disappointed in Rugers apathy and surprised that so many on the forum were so quick to suggest that I give up on it....

Anyway, I just wanted to get the info out that if you have a broken 44 carbine that it does not need to be a paperweight ! When I placed my order with Numrich, I was told that they had over 300 of these assemblies in stock. You do want to use a good gunsmith, my gunsmith had no trouble with the machining but said it was tedious to move all of the trigger parts into the new assembly....He wished he could grow another hand or two....

So that's my story...hope it helps someone !! mike

Can you please tell me where they had to do the machining.
Thanks

wunbe

Buckeye
Congrats on beating the odds. Many b4 you have failed.

I got lucky on an identical problem because my smith has contacts at Ruger and they supplied the part for my gun to him. This was maybe 7-8 years ago, so at that time at least, there were still parts that Ruger was refusing to preovide to Joe Blow off the streets.

I still do not undestand what other model the upgraded part was designed for.

Regards,
wunbe

nova4444

Bearcat
wunbe said:
Congrats on beating the odds. Many b4 you have failed.

I got lucky on an identical problem because my smith has contacts at Ruger and they supplied the part for my gun to him. This was maybe 7-8 years ago, so at that time at least, there were still parts that Ruger was refusing to preovide to Joe Blow off the streets.

I still do not undestand what other model the upgraded part was designed for.

Regards,
wunbe

There were 2 models before the Deerfield.
The original with the small trigger guard lip and the later one with some modifications.
Thr later ones had a redesigned gas piston, a cartridge removal button, a different profile on the front of the bolt and a beefed up trigger guard lip.It sounds like you can use the beefed up trigger guard on the old design with a bit of machining. Knowing this I think i will get myself one of these guards for backup, just in case mine lets go some day.

mike28w

Bearcat
I can't imagine why Ruger wouldn't be a little more helpful.... When I contacted them , they treated me like I was asking for parts to a HiPoint or Jennings :x

I don't see where it serves their interest to abuse folks who have bought their products. I understand not stocking parts on an older gun ...but to just blow me off....That offends me. Certainly makes me think twice before buying another gun from them....( not that losing one customer is a huge concern for such a large company)

flhpi

Bearcat
Mike28w I found Ruger to be the opposite although they did not have the parts they passed any info they had to where I could find the parts that I needed and now my old carbine is back together