Re-Finish OM Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

claydoctor

Bearcat
Posted this in gunsmithing section but thought I might get more traffic here. I just acquired a 1971 vintage OM Blackhawk and would like re-finishing done. Has anyone had experience with factory re-finishing and is it true that if sent in, they will do the conversion to NM lockwork even if I do not want it done?

flatgate

Hawkeye
claydoctor":tyuvlkcm said:
Posted this in gunsmithing section but thought I might get more traffic here. I just acquired a 1971 vintage OM Blackhawk and would like re-finishing done. Has anyone had experience with factory re-finishing and is it true that if sent in, they will do the conversion to NM lockwork even if I do not want it done?

I've had pretty good luck with the Factory's work. I NEVER send them a gun with it's lockwork. Not even a New Model since I'll smooth out the rough places, etc. I'll replace whatever lockwork is in the gun with some "well worn, spare parts" or, in the case of an Old Model, I'll install the conversion kit lockwork prior to sending the gun to Ruger! :D

The cost used to be a mere pittance when one could UPS a revolver for $7 bucks and the Factory would charge $20-$30 for the work. Nowdays it may be more cost effective to contact one of the "Known" good guy Gunsmiths for the work.

JMHO,

flatgate

claydoctor

Bearcat
I assume that the conversion parts include a new frame. How else could you go from 3 holes to two holes?

flatgate

Hawkeye
claydoctor":324w8xtt said:
I assume that the conversion parts include a new frame. How else could you go from 3 holes to two holes?

:D

That's a new one on me. Sorry, but you've tickled my funny bone.

Ruger figured out how to add the transfer bar to the "three screw" lockwork.

It actually works quite well but the fact that it takes extra trigger travel to raise the transfer bar into a firing position makes for a "creepy trigger", IMHO.

flatgate

LockworkExample.jpg

claydoctor

Bearcat
To my knowledge, I've never seen one that's been converted and can't imagine why someone would send it back to have it done. Some folks will sign up for anything if it'd free. I just assumed that they somehow did away with the third screw. So now I have to find someone else to refinish the gun to Ruger specs. Any suggestions?

even Ruger doesn't "refinish to the older Ruger specs....' as said above, different formulations these days, more black, than blued......all good points above, and besides, last time I talked with them , for a single action revolver it was like $138 to "refinish". then there is your shipping, "next day air, etc......."( UPS or Fed Ex)
gotta call them, they gotta "see" it, and then they will quote you a service charge...........case it "needs" anything else done.......

claydoctor

Bearcat
I think I am going to call Accurate Plating. They have done work for me before and have been top notch. I suspect they will use Ceracoat or something similar on the aluminum parts. That is probably cheaper than replacing with steel.

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
claydoctor":gspuiky5 said:
...is it true that if sent in, they will do the conversion to NM lockwork even if I do not want it done?

No, I don't think that's exactly true, at least not the way you worded it. If you don't want the conversion, they won't do it. But then they won't do anything else to the gun either.

GhosT

Blackhawk
LOL, Just PM FLATEGATE.

JMHO...but from years of watching his posts.....
HE CAN ANSWER YA BEST ON THIS SUBJECT!

There is a reason he calls himself FLATEGATE...lol

claydoctor

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":rnm91iid said:
That's right. If you refuse the "safety conversion" they refuse to work on your gun.

:D

Well all I can say is.....and the horse they rode up on!