RCBS vs Lyman Lube sizer???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I am new to bullet casting and had purchased an old Lyman 45 Sizer. So, the other day at a gunshow, I stumbled upon an RCBS brand new in the box with all the accessories and the old guy only wanted $45.00. So now I have two and I wanted some feedback from anyone who may have used one or the other or both.

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
The dies and top punches are pretty much interchangable. Very similar machines.

Had my RCBS Lube-A-Matic about 35 years. Sent it off for repair a few years ago, was getting loose and rattling. RCBS sent me a new machine.

Never owned a Lyman sizer, but I have used several of their dies in my RCBS cause of the diameter I wanted. Works fine for me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Both are about the same. I can't see any differences enough to make me choose one over the other.
I'd say set them both up with the 2 most popular caliber sizers you use & cast a lot more bullets!

Rex Driver

Bearcat
I have never owned the Lyman, however, I do have two of the RCBS Lube-A-Matics. One is about 25 years old and the other about two years old and I have never had a single problem with either. +1 on the fact that the dies of both manufactures will work in either machine. Use both as both companies are old established companies built on customer service.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I have the Lyman model. Bought it in the mid 1970's and it is still doing the job.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

No, they are not both made by the same manufacturer, although they are both very similar in design and operation.

They will both accept dies from the other brand, although I have had some problems with some Lyman shelholders in the RCBS press. The Lyman is slightly more compact vertically than the RCBS, although this does not really make much difference. The design of the RCBS machine precludes using a small ratchet handle on the lube pump. It is common to use a small ratchet handle on the Lyman machine. The RCBS is green and the Lyman is orange.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Midwayusa has the RCBS Lube-A-Matic on sale plus the sizer dies are also on sale. I have been intending to buy one and I was doing some searches to confirm that big green as good buy and I plan to pick one up.

Kinda crazy that I have a couple hundred pounds of #2 alloy, bullet molds, casting tools, and a propane burner purchased for just this use but still have not dropped a single bullet but I was pricing 45 Colt ammo the other day and decided I really need to start rolling my own!

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Haven't used the RCBS so can't say. I use a 450 that I bought used. Leaked too much to suit me so I got new O-rings and "pistons" fairly cheap from Lyman. Bought the heater while I was at it. Works very well now. I see 45's in the pawnshop sometimes, usually covered in lube and yukky lookin' but I'm sure you can rebuild one of them too. I think I'd sell the 45 or keep it as a "curio". After all, you have a new RCBS :wink: ....Dennis.....BTW Quarterbore, maybe you should sell that #2 alloy to one of us in the land of fruits and nuts for big dinero. I hear Jan 1st we won't have lead wheel weights anymore. Guess I better head for the wrecking yards with a pail and pliers while I still can..... :cry: Driftwood, all Lymans aren't orange, mine was grey before it became "Krylon green"... :wink:
Lyman004.jpg