RCBS Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello,
I have been using one of them ultrasonic cleaners for a while now with a drop of dish soap and have had pretty good results. They get clean, but not shiny.
Recently I have been trying to get better results, so I purchased some RCBS case cleaning solution, which works better.
I noticed the ingredients are citric acid and Ammonium Hydroxide.
I have read the posts about not using ammonia to clean brass as it seems not good for brass.
Was just thinking if this cleaner is destroying my brass or is OK to use.
I would like to think that RCBS knows a little something about reloading.
Just wondering what you reloaders thought about this.
Thanks, Jeff

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
not trying to talk you out of the commercial stuff, but plain old citric acid or off the shelf Lemi-Shine (granulated dishwasher stuff) and a few drops of Dawn work well for thorough cleaning.

jd

dougader

Hunter
I buy food grade citric acid from a wine makers supply store. Hot water, a tablespoon or 2 of c.a. and clean brass in 10 minutes. I pop the old primers with a Lee universal decapping die then throw them in the solution. Then put them on an old cookie sheet to dry in the sun.

If the cases have some blasted on staining like you get in magnum cases using 296 or similar, then 30 minutes in the tumbler makes them shiny. Before, 12 hours in a tumbler wouldn't get the "magnum stain" out.

Mus408

Hunter
I use distilled water with a small amount of vinegar,less than 1/4 cup, and add a bit of dish soap.
Follow up with a water/baking soda soak and rinse. Seems to work fine.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
From what I read on Wiki it doesn't sound like something you would want to clean brass cases with. Ammonia in a cleaning solution is what is used to get copper out of a barrel. Maybe that solution is for cleaning parts. I think I would call or email RCBS about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_hydroxide