RCBS Collet Bullet Puller?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greebe

Single-Sixer
So I have always used the hammer type pullers, but recently broke my RCBS version. So I am looking at getting something to replace it.

I am interested in the RCBS Collet Bullet Puller. Have any of you used one of these? They get good reviews but to cover all the calibers that I need, it would run me a little over a hundred dollars after buying all the collets.

I was thinking about making one or just making the collets and buying the die. Are the collets like a tiny version of a 5C collet minus the outside threads? Is the opening that grips the bullet straight or tapered? I would assume that they are straight like any other collet out there.

Thanks
Greebe

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I have one and like it. I had to get a bunch of different collets but once you buy them you are good to go forever. The are straight inside. The unit works fine and is much faster than the hammer type(have one of them also). I use mine quite a bit. I take apart corrosive ammo and but the powder/bullet into a commerical case which has a modern primer. This way I do not have to be sure to clean the rifles right away after shooting. Just me.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Yep I have one and it works well. Most rifle bullets can be easily pulled with a pair of pliers using the press for leverage. I only have one collet and haven't used it very much.

hornady

Bearcat
I have the Foster collet bullet puller. But they all work the same. I know it saved me on a case of 3006 Mil, Surplus. But I also have the RCBS Impact Hammer puller. As said the collet type doesn't work well on Lead. So I only bought collets for the rifle stuff and use the impact on all the pistol.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have one as well, with a bunch of collets. I got it with the rest of the used gear given to me.

I've used it a couple times, but never with handgun bullets, only rifle.

Worked well with the .30 cal rifle rounds and only scratched the bullets, so they could easily be used again.

Aqualung

dougader

Hunter
I had to pull a bunch of old 30-06 WW Silvertip ammo from the 60's. As loaded it was just too hot for my old Ruger M77. Using the kinetic/hammer style puller it would have taken me hours to pull them all. I think I counted about 65 strikes with the hammer to pull one bullet.

So I got the RCBS puller with a .30 caliber collet. I was done in less than 20 minutes.

But, as said above, they don't grip well on lead bullets and only ruin the bullets. I still use the kinetic puller for pistol bullets, or just one or two rifle bullets.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like they work a lot better on jacked bullets. That is what it will get used for more than anything.

As far as led bullets, at some point I can pick up a cheap inertia puller for those.

Greebe

rwnielsen

Bearcat
Last night I pulled 85 44mags that I had under-loaded with H-110.
They had a heavy crimp and wouldn't budge with the impact puller. I had to crank it down but they pulled apart. :)

You could seat the bullet deeper to brake the crimp. This should make pulling easier.
Impact pullers and concrete work best for me. I also use shell holders instead of that collet with a o-ring around it.
Eric

revhigh

Hawkeye
Greebe":1w1s86lc said:
So I have always used the hammer type pullers, but recently broke my RCBS version.

Hope you didn't throw it away .... RCBS will replace it no questions asked. They didn't even want my old one back when I broke mine. If I remember correctly, I think I sent them an email with a pic of the broken puller.

REV

Greebe

Single-Sixer
revhigh":gwnqgteq said:
Hope you didn't throw it away .... RCBS will replace it no questions asked. They didn't even want my old one back when I broke mine. If I remember correctly, I think I sent them an email with a pic of the broken puller.

REV

That I didn't know. I will have to pull it out and take a picture. That would be nice to get a replacement part for it. All that broke was the cap that screws down.

Greebe

revhigh

Hawkeye
I guarantee they'll replace it with no issues. It'll just show up in your mailbox. Wait and see. THey may just send you a whole new one.

REV

Latest posts