RCBS .45 270 gr. SAA HP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
From castboolits.gunloads.com , The RCBS .45 270 gr. SAA is in the process of having Miha make this mold in brass, with 2 different HP pin sets. One will be large round, and the other, the wicked pentagonal HP. This is in the very early stages of design, and is probably a few months out of actual delivery. I can personally attest to the quality of his work. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the opportunity of obtaining a top rate mold. Price is usually around $100.00, shipped.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75505

tek4260

Buckeye
I want one but I am new to casting and I don't think i could get good boolits from it. I don't know if I could remove the pins and reinsert them, all the while keeping the mould hot enough to fill out properly. This mould is the only reason I didn't order the RCBS today. I guess I could just make regular boolits in it until I felt lucky enough to try the HP.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
tek4260, these molds are very easy to use. They cast just as fast as a regular 2 banger. All you have to do is turn the mold over, tap the pins to push them away from the mold half, the bullets drop, repeat. They really are simple to use. If you have any inkling to buy, do it ! They are high quality, and a bargain !

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jeff Hoover":3u364mpy said:
From castboolits.gunloads.com , The RCBS .45 270 gr. SAA is in the process of having Miha make this mold in brass, with 2 different HP pin sets. One will be large round, and the other, the wicked pentagonal HP. This is in the very early stages of design, and is probably a few months out of actual delivery. I can personally attest to the quality of his work. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the opportunity of obtaining a top rate mold. Price is usually around $100.00, shipped.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75505
And with the pins reversed, you still get a "plain vanilla" 270 gr right?

tek4260

Buckeye
Yes, from what I have been reading on Castboolits and Singleactions. That is what sealed the deal for me. Showing ignorance here, but do they take RCBS large handles as well?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Dale53":ghd46caw said:
tek4260;
I am "Honchoing" the deal with MiHec's blessings. The moulds are cut for Lee Six cavity mould handles. If you want custom high grade handles, there is a gentleman on Cast Boolits that sells them for replacement for Lees (and the MiHec moulds):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=598859

I can verify that these are indeed FINE mould handles.

Dale53
Dale, what size will it drop? I need .454" after sizing/lubing...

Dale53

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin;
These moulds will be spec'd to drop at .454" with WW's. I spec'd the .44's to drop at .432" and mine does exactly.

If you want one to drop a bit bigger, I believe MiHec will accomodate you (they are done on a CNC machine and he can control the diameter within certain limits).

By the way, MiHec is also offering premium mould handles to fit these and Lee six cavity moulds. They are cut from solid steel (unlike Lee's cast or sintered iron handles). Lee's have been known to break and MiHec's will not.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

FWIW
Dale53

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Dale53":3oh06q7k said:
tek4260;
I am "Honchoing" the deal with MiHec's blessings. The moulds are cut for Lee Six cavity mould handles. If you want custom high grade handles, there is a gentleman on Cast Boolits that sells them for replacement for Lees (and the MiHec moulds):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=598859

I can verify that these are indeed FINE mould handles.

Dale53

I have a set of these handles (KAL) and the difference in quality when held side by side with say a set of RCBS handles is immediately apparent. They are very well made and at a great price too. I would recommend them without reservation.

captainkirk