RCA Engraved Super Single Sixes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Yes there is a roman II and #13 under the front sight.

Now it makes me wonder about the CHJ 2 marking on the barrel. If Jr. added the 2 and if Sr. engraved any they would not have the 2 by the CHJ.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
WELL......The bad news is that I do not have one of these to have to remove the front sight....I passed on a pair out of a dated Upper NY state collection, some years ago. The rationale? Purchase the offered/available factory black fitted boxed RSSE with factory Italian walnut contoured grips and an extra pair of Pointer Pup (and so decaled) pearl panels. An easy choice with only so much dinero to go around. So the "fixed sighted" RSSE's and the Hawkeye Girls will just have to watch and see how this unfolds.............Please, use the correct screwdrivers........... 8) I really like these informative sets of posts! :wink: :!:

RCA230

Bearcat
Well, here's mine (proper screwdriver used of course):

RCA_Engraved_Sight.jpg

RPM, Notice the difference in the angle of the roman numeral "II" and the "#" symbol. Could one be by Jerred Sr. and the other Jr? But which one is which?

Also, and I can't be positive about this because your picture is slightly out of focus, the numeral "1" looks to be a different style of engraving as well.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Sorry if I missed others' comments on this....However, i am wondering about the stylized number 2 located at the bottom right corner of the CHJ signature on the stainless engraved guns. I don't see that called out.......I also find it continuing to be of interest regarding Jerred's comments in the pictured letter, regarding later inquiries to have guns engraved as the original 238 were so embellished.

chet15

Hawkeye
flattop44 said:
I saw one American that had the CHJ stylized initials did not have anything under the front sight. I believe the II and #xx was just omitted in error...did not mean anything about which Jerred engraved it. Bill

Without the marking under the front sight, I wonder if that was a Kain engraved gun?
I can't remember a RCA engraved RSSE without the stylized CHJ initials on the barrel, so Kain probably engraved his like that also?? Would seem like something was missing if they weren't engraved that way.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
You know...the continuing mystery of how many RCA engraved Single-Sixes there are, and who they were engraved by could be answered pretty easy with a lookup of info from somebody at the RCA. It is pretty much a given that everybody knows there weren't 238 American and 20 Spanish done.
I've asked, but have never heard anything.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
chet15 said:
You know...the continuing mystery of how many RCA engraved Single-Sixes there are, and who they were engraved by could be answered pretty easy with a lookup of info from somebody at the RCA. It is pretty much a given that everybody knows there weren't 238 American and 20 Spanish done.
I've asked, but have never heard anything.
Chet15

Not unusual, sorry to say. :roll:

Coogs

Maximum
Back about 1988-89, a little bird told me, and this bird has written a few Ruger books in his day, that there were 10 Spanish and "less" than 100 American's done, take it for what it's worth, Coogs.

flattop44

Buckeye
Chad, the RCA engraved Single-Six with the CHJ stylized initials that I saw without anything under the front sight did not have the Kain mark underneath the ejector rod head like on the Spanish that I have done by him....we looked for his mark elsewhere and did not find it. That is why I assumed that the II and # under the front sight were omitted in error.
Bill

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
After looking at a few of the guns engraved by Jerred and Kain I noticed the Kain has a deeper cut than Jerred guns. IMO I like the work by Kain better than Jerreds. I would also say I beleive that the "2" by the signature would be that of Jerred Jr. Under the sight the II as stated earlier was done not to confuse with prior engraved guns. Looks like 19 is the highest known Jerred gun and that would make sense being that it was figured less than 20 done by Jerred. I may contct the RCA and see what information they may have. I have talked with John D. and he thinks about 20 guns were done by Jerred. He also told me after he gets settled from his move he would look for the list of serial numbers that he thinks he may have. Someone find me a Spanish gun :wink: :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
Coogs said:
Back about 1988-89, a little bird told me, and this bird has written a few Ruger books in his day, that there were 10 Spanish and "less" than 100 American's done, take it for what it's worth, Coogs.

Yeah...I'd heard little birdies too, who said there were 20 Spanish and less "American". Then here a few years ago on RF wasn't there a copy of a letter from Kain put here on RF? I gotta believe that's how I got the info that is currently in the reference.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
RPM Enterprises said:
Looks like 19 is the highest known Jerred gun and that would make sense being that it was figured less than 20 done by Jerred. I may contct the RCA and see what information they may have. I have talked with John D. and he thinks about 20 guns were done by Jerred. He also told me after he gets settled from his move he would look for the list of serial numbers that he thinks he may have.

Yeah...too much speculation here even in this thread. For quantities, hopefully when JD does reply it isn't more guessing. After all, these were done 30 years ago now....How come nobody knows nothing? And why such a secret as to how many were done and by whom? Seems like the only info that has been forthcoming are from letters by the engravers themselves. They are after-market customizations after all, and not factory offerings...(though nice customizations at that!), but why all the secrecy??? Knowing the real story instead of speculation just might make them have more interest :shock:
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I received my Jerred American SS RCA RSSE today. Nothing marked under the front sight and a small 2 adjacent to the bottom of the CHJ barrel signature. This Gun was won in an RCA drawing, 1985. That is confirmed in a communication to the winner by Nancy Padua of the RCA in late 1985, which is with this gun. Did John Dougn ever come up with further data on this project?