"rarest of the rare" Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
I think it is more than wishful thinking....they just aren't that uncommon. And they weren't popular when they were available -- we sold some 20-30 of them through the gunstore I worked at and the last half dozen or so didn't sell until we reduced the price to 1/2 the regular retail price. They went out the door at $202.50 when the current retail was $405.00.

He could say they were "uncommon" but I don't think "rare" is approriate and "rarest of the rare" is way over the top. Then again -- all sorts of "rare" No. 1's show up on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica that just aren't "rare".

Dave

sebtool

Blackhawk
mattsbox99":34hyni90 said:
I think there are a lot more than two #1 collectors out there....

I think he's claiming that there were only 2- .357 mag #1s made. Sounds pretty farfetched to me....

Mebbe it's 1 of 2 with Bill Ruger's fingerprints still on it? :roll:

BUT!!!! He'll pay the s&h with a buy it now.... :wink:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yeah the way I took his wording was that there were only a few known. He is either uneducated on the subject or purposely being misleading. I would hit the buy it now for both of them though!! :mrgreen:

One of the times I wanted to send a message to the seller just to see the type of response I got.

picketpin

Buckeye
Okay, being charitable one would say the seller has been misinformed or is illinformed.

The 357 Magnum was made as a "A" or Light Sporter in 1981. The serial numbers are from 132-33856 to 132-45356.

There were approximately 2000 rifles made in total. Of that 1820 were made with the CHP roll marking. There were also approximately 200 overun guns without the CHP marking.

In the big scheme of things #1 the CHPs are not rare nor are they even uncommon. There are a whole bunch of cataloged #1s with production of way less than 1820.

The uncataloged non roll marked guns are certainly worth more than the CHP #1s but there are still about 200 or so of them. The seller doesn't know what in the world he is talking about.

I've seen a very few, very mint ones, complete with box and all the rest sell in the $1000 range but even that takes a motivated buyer.

I've bought/collect #1s for 40+ years now and frankly have nevr bothered to buy a 357 "A" even in the non marked one. Just not rare enough for the asking prices at least for me.

RWT

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Looks like a neat rifle configuration, bet it is fun to shoot. Lots of No.1's that sell for lots less(450-550) that could be built up into that configuration; not a new concept at all.

I did shoot last week a martini cadet with octagon barrel in 357mag. It was a fun thing really. The guy built it up for shooting in a local indoor range nearby his home. I asked him why he built it in 357, he told me that just because he wanted to................good enough for me.

I could see the lure of a pistol cartridge No.1 for some that enjoy rifles in general.

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
I really don't think he is claiming that there are only two of these rifles. He is simply letting you know that the item was not double-posted and that he actually has two available for sale. He'll probably have a long wait at his price.

I've shot a couple of these and they're fun enough to shoot, but not $2500 worth of fun.

At least he's not asking $25000 like the guy that has the No. 1 in .458 that was re-reamed to .460 G&A. No custom metal work, not rebarreled, no cool sights, no scope, no custom stock (not even exceptional original Ruger wood), no engraving, no evidence that it was owned or even handled by Bill Ruger, and an ugly butt pad -- dinged, dented, and scratched and he still has the nerve to have a starting list price of $18000 and a buy now price of $25000 - all because it is "rare". Oh, I forgot, it is mag-na-ported and comes with a set of dies.

Dave

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yup four70...that's why I said a lot of listings just seem like an online gunshow for people who feel the need to show off parts of the collection. I should try it with some of mine...might hook a sucker and get twice what it's worth. That's all these sellers are doing anyway is fishing for a sucker!

picketpin

Buckeye
470: I was trying to remember that one last night. IT's my all time favorite!! A re-chambered rifle for $18,000.

Even the "B"in 6.5 Rem Mag that they only made 84 of doesn't have people jumping all over it at $2600+

The non prefix 222 "AB" of which there aren't probably more than 50 of hasn't brought the $1600 asking price in three listings and that comes with a 12X Leupold of the correct era and vertical rings.

In case sellers haven't noticed the market is somewhat depressed right now, especially for rare stuff in an already niche market.

RWT

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
picketpin":2yqy5w6a said:
Okay, being charitable one would say the seller has been misinformed or is illinformed...
RWT

Ross since when are you charitable???? :lol:

Opinionated yes, charitable?? :roll:

R1N

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
See, I've been saying all along that these 357's are real sleepers. Being the benevolent person that I am, I'll let mine go for $1500 plus $100 S&H. I may even include a set of period correct rare rings for an additional $100. No need to thank me.

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
picketpin,

I have seriously considered the 222 "AB" I think it is a fairly reasonable buy, when you consider that the vertical rings are worth $250-300 and the scope is worth $200-300 that make the rifle about $1000 which isn't terrible for a 3-digit No. 1 that looks to be in decent shape.....

Then again, no one has bid on it yet.....

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
Dave: I actually think you are correct.

What yoiur post actually points out is just HOW narrow the niche market is for collectable #1s. It should have sold weeks ago, if anybody had any money.

Lance's figures say there might be 150 non preficx 222s in the AB configuration. Yes, the vertical rings add value and so does the scope.

To be honest I've looked at it two or three times and have vascilated back and forth. If I didnt already have a non prefix "B" in 222 and 2 in the AH configuration I'd be a lot more interested.

Sort of have the non prefix AB covered by a 308 and a 7mm Mag.

I've put all my pennies on the refinished 243. I'm committed or maybe it's should be committed and can't bid again till that one resolves itself.

I've already played with what do I have I could stick the 12x Leupold on instead of the 222, that would look a lot better than that skinny "A" barrel.

I have a 3 digit 6mm "BH" showing up Friday with vertical rings. That 12x would look fine on it. :)

I do know that the 6.5 is out of reach for my shallow pockets. The sad part is there was one locally that belonged to a friend that it took him almost 3 years to sell for $650!!! Of course that was quite some time back but still, damn. ;-)

BY the way the one of the 404 Jefferys is on GB again if you have an itch that needs scratched.

the best

Ross

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
picketpin":3w12w14g said:
I have a 3 digit 6mm "BH" showing up Friday with vertical rings.Ross

Dang Ross! That's one that I'd have been real interested in. Probably just as well; I need to divest not accumulate, divest not accumulate..............

Lance

P.S. I appreciate your crediting me with the #1 rarity figures, but Lee Newton, Joe Clayton and Carl Ross might disagree with who's responsible for them, and are probably already gunning for me ;-0

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Ross,

I can't find the 404 -- which is probably a good thing!

I'd be more interested in the .222 if it wasn't an "AB" which is the one version of the No. 1 that just looks completely awkward to me. I have never liked the styling and never been able to understand why they didn't go the other way and put the Alex Henry forearm on instead of the "B" forearm. I really like the look of the 1-A without sights, but the "AB" just leaves me cold. I know others like that style and more power to them, the more of them they buy the fewer of them I have to look at.

I seriously considered a 404 about four years back, but it was more money than I wanted to part with at the time. The guy had five of them and didn't seem to be in a hurry, but I haven't gotten around to looking at them again -- always seems to be something else that pops up that is just too good to pass up -- a .44 SS Blackhawk for $250, a 1-B 7mmMag w/Leupold 3X9 for $575, etc..... The funds available just get diluted or I get distracted.....oh well, always looking for my next No. 1

Dave

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Dave I agree with you also. The AB configuration is one that I just never seem to warm up to. I do like the AH but actually prefer it with sites at least from a hunting perspective. From purely a aesthetical point, I like them both, with or without sites.

I just wish they would have been made more with a 24" rather than the 22" barrel. I really like the 25-06 that Lipsey's did a couple years ago in AH 24" Just a classy looking rifle.

Let me know if you truly need vertical rings. I might have a set or two I can part with

Dave