Rare Mini 14? Model #5832

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TDT

Bearcat
I'm trying to figure out if I stumbled onto a special Mini 14. I recently purchased a SS/Syn Mini 14 from my gunsmith. I received just the gun, no box,manual or even mags.. Using Ruger's Serial number history service, I learned that it is a #5832 that was shipped in Dec. of 2012. The unusual feature of this gun is a full length tactical rail ( receiver to gas block, it even serves as the top half of the gas block ). The rail is a "Ruger" branded Amega rail that was factory installed, and was in the description provided to me by Ruger. One more thing, it is a Law Enforcement model. ( my gunsmith does a lot of work with Law Enforcement as his father was a Sheriff's Deputy for many years, and I suspect that the rifle came from one of the guys.) The Mini itself is in Perfect condition, beautiful bore, and not a "ding" anywhere. Different things I've read suggest that this gun may be somewhat hard to find, which brings me to my question; should I be using this gun, ( target shooting and maybe a few coyote hunts ) or should I treat it like a winning lottery ticket? I'm not really a collector, as my budget doesn't allow for that, but I do appreciate and respect those that do collect, therefore, I wouldn't want to ding it up by using it if it is something that someone has been looking for. Sorry I rambled on a bit, but, let me know what you think. ...Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

hittman

Staff member
I think they were sold through Davidsons.
PM our member Chet15 to ask if he has more info and/or subscribe to RENE.

TDT

Bearcat
Thank you Buckeye. I clicked on the address you provided, but it just took me back to the Home page. I'm probably doing something wrong.
Not being a collector myself, the reason I wanted a mini 14 was to have a handy light rifle available to me. The problem with the #5832 is the Amega rail adds 8 ounces to the rifle, making it weigh in at 7lbs 2oz. I really was looking for something around 6 3/4lbs. I'm just getting too old to hike around with the extra weight. I tell you that so you know where I'm coming from. Thanks again for your response.

I believe the model 5832 was a Ruger LE Model, would be helpful to find a Ruger LE Catalog from that time period...I do believe that model was listed in the LE catalog.

I think all the 58XX Mini models were LE models bu it could be wrong...

TDT

Bearcat
You're right NH Rugerman, it is a LE model. In your opinion, is this model something that a collector would cherish finding, or is it just one of the many variations that has been available over the years, and has no particular appeal over any of the other models? I ask this because I may be interested in trading for a newer, lighter model. I just need to know what I'm starting with. ...thank you for your response.

hittman

Staff member
TDT said:
one of the many variations that has been available over the years

^ ^ This. ^ ^

But there may be folks out there who focus on LE guns. Most of them it seems, want the gun to have the law enforcement agency's markings on them however.
Bottom line is if you like it ..... not much else matters.
If it were mine ..... I'd shoot the heck out of it.

TDT said:
You're right NH Rugerman, it is a LE model. In your opinion, is this model something that a collector would cherish finding, or is it just one of the many variations that has been available over the years, and has no particular appeal over any of the other models? I ask this because I may be interested in trading for a newer, lighter model. I just need to know what I'm starting with. ...thank you for your response.

I don't think that these limited LE models are collectible because not many folks know about them...that said...they may bring a small premium to anyone looking for the unique build of these rifles...if you can find a buyer who wants the options your rifle has...good luck!

TDT

Bearcat
Thanks again hittman and NH Rugerman, with the information you guys have provided me, I've made up my mind to "shoot the heck out of it" and enjoy it! The way this gun sort of just fell into my lap, it's almost like it was destined to be my Mini. I appreciate your candor and look forward to exploring the rest of the forum. Enjoy your week-end.
Thank you!

TDT said:
Thanks again hittman and NH Rugerman, with the information you guys have provided me, I've made up my mind to "shoot the heck out of it" and enjoy it! The way this gun sort of just fell into my lap, it's almost like it was destined to be my Mini. I appreciate your candor and look forward to exploring the rest of the forum. Enjoy your week-end.
Thank you!

I think you made the right decision...and as long as you take care of it, it will hold its value...enjoy it!

Latest posts