RANT: Does anyone on the interweb test handgun accuracy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
So I am looking at getting a particular 22 LR pistol which is fairly new to the market (not a Ruger, but that isn't the issue). I decided to look for reports on the accuracy of this firearm to help me decide whether it will be a good choice for me. A "Googly" resulted in multiple dozens of write-ups and videos. None of the written reviews I pored over included any group testing, and every video showed mag dumps and steel target shooting. Not one of the twenty-plus scrutineers sat down and benched the pistol or showed actual groups. I've noticed this with other calibers as well. Not everyone is interested in "spray-and-pray" shooting. Some of us want to actually hit what we aim at beyond touching distance. If a rimfire handgun won't do better than a two inch group at 25 yards off a bench with at least a couple types of ammo, I'm really not interested, but trying to find that data, even with hundreds of folks on social media doing reviews, is proving impossible.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
Author broomstick 779 has several.
I searched Bing “22LR pistol accuracy” and got many (dozens) that even showed the test target.
But alas, no 25 yard tests with the model I'm looking at. I even thought to look up results for a competitor's model that has been out much longer and is similar (polymer-frame, high-capacity, medium size), and found much the same. It seems like only a couple of people bother actually shooting groups, and most of them only shoot at ten yards.

NikA

Buckeye
For most people, inherent accuracy at 25yds with a handgun will not be the limiting factor. Why bother testing something if you're not qualified to interpret the results?

Any accuracy test is going to be for THAT SPECIFIC gun with THAT SPECIFIC lot of ammunition. If it's not done with a machine rest, for THAT SPECIFIC shooter. Hardly a useful data point for anything but ad copy.

What model of 22 are you thinking about? I love highly accurate 22’s and have always wanted a Pardini or Morini pistol. I think they are spelled correctly… Oh, or one of those Walther GSP’s. Someday…

But doesn’t Gunblast show targets and group sizes for different guns? You are correct though, lots of YouTube videos just show the gun and then blam, blast, pow! Magazine after magazine of bullets. Hickok 45 is like this. Don’t get me wrong, I really like his videos, and he goes into pretty good detail about function and triggers etc.

I saw a video the other day, they had a gun in a Ransom Rest, and we’re doing accuracy testing. But, especially with rimfire, each gun will behave differently.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
For most people, inherent accuracy at 25yds with a handgun will not be the limiting factor. Why bother testing something if you're not qualified to interpret the results?

Any accuracy test is going to be for THAT SPECIFIC gun with THAT SPECIFIC lot of ammunition. If it's not done with a machine rest, for THAT SPECIFIC shooter. Hardly a useful data point for anything but ad copy.
I agree to a point. But I'm not looking to find out what the ultimate accuracy potential is, just an idea of whether it is just a "plinking" pistol.

If you have five different people shoot the same model gun and all of them get lousy groups with a variety of ammunition, and there are other videos showing the same individuals shooting much better groups with different firearm/ammo combos (proving they are capable of shooting better), it does provide at least a HINT about the inherent accuracy of the gun in question. And the same is true if they all shoot bugholes with a particular gun.

Dan in MI

Staff member
If you’ve really paid attention there never really been good accuracy tests in any gun reviews. Usually at the beginning of the article “we had great 1.5” groups.” Then the majority of the article and somewhere near the end, “at our test range of two feet....”

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
What model of 22 are you thinking about? I love highly accurate 22’s and have always wanted a Pardini or Morini pistol. I think they are spelled correctly… Oh, or one of those Walther GSP’s. Someday…

But doesn’t Gunblast show targets and group sizes for different guns? You are correct though, lots of YouTube videos just show the gun and then blam, blast, pow! Magazine after magazine of bullets. Hickok 45 is like this. Don’t get me wrong, I really like his videos, and he goes into pretty good detail about function and triggers etc.

I saw a video the other day, they had a gun in a Ransom Rest, and we’re doing accuracy testing. But, especially with rimfire, each gun will behave differently.
Looking at the Sig P322. I already own two spectacularly accurate semi-auto 22s (a MkII 22/45 Competition and a High Standard Supermatic Citation), so not looking for match-grade accuracy. But I am looking for a lightweight high-cap rimfire with layout and controls similar to a centerfire pistol for training purposes, and I want it to be fairly accurate so I can more easily determine any issues my students are having and help them develop expectations of what they can accomplish with centerfires.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
If you’ve really paid attention there never really been good accuracy tests in any gun reviews. Usually at the beginning of the article “we had great 1.5” groups.” Then the majority of the article and somewhere near the end, “at our test range of two feet....”
Back when the likes of Ross Seyfried, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, and Elmer Keith wrote, there were some incredible writeups on accuracy testing, so at least into the '90s. But I guess for some reason, it has fallen out of favor since many of the handgun sports that were popular then and relied on precision (Bullseye, IHMSA, PPC, etc.) have largely given way to the "action" shooting competitions where pinpoint shot placement and small groups aren't really the name of the game.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Using the parameters you mentioned a Ruger 22/45 usually will shoot in the 1"@25 yards from a rest with CCI SV. The ammo you are using will make a significant difference, as you know. You can tune the 22/45 a little by how tight the thread protector on the end of the barrel is tightened.
The sig P322 is not a gun I have seen tested on you tube. 22plinkster test several guns and can usually be counted on for accuracy evaluations.
I like many laugh at people showing off hand shooting and getting good groups at 7 yards. That short of a distance only shows how good the shooters technique it, not the mechanical accuracy of the gun.

Enigma

Hunter
Kind of like how Ruger evaluates accuracy when you return a handgun to them. One 5-shot group at 10-12 feet, IIRC.

Latest posts