Range Time #1 with new SR-556 - Questions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikeco

Bearcat
Hi All,

Took my SR-556 to the range today for the first time, and shot about 75 rounds. Very accurate right out of the box, nice trigger, very light recoil. Rounds fed well from the PMags included in the package. It was a lot of fun to shoot.

I did have two issues, and am curious if anyone else has see this?

1. The forward trigger/hammer pin (Key No. 10 in the manual) walked out on me from left to right. The manual shows two items marked as #10, I had the one closest to the bang bang end walk. Not far, but far enough to lock up the trigger and prevent the round from firing. Once I tapped it back in all was good, trigger dropped and rounds fired.

2. The trigger itself has a slight 'click' when resetting. Let me try to describe:

press, fire, release, slight click - now ready to press again.

I know dry firing is different but I wanted to check and see if others have had a similar experience with their trigger.

Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to shooting it again next weekend.

Mike

Bullet Puller

Bearcat
mikeco,
Thanks for the heads up. My brand new SR-556 is patienttly sitting in the rack waiting for the range to open on Tuesday morning. I will watch for both of these and keep you posted.

Larry

MFD

Bearcat
Couple items you may want to check out. The hammer pivot pin is supposed to interface with what is called a J spring in the hammer itself and there is a groove in the center of the pin which helps prevent "walking" of the pin. Would check to see if the pin itself has that groove in the center and it is matching the J spring. If it is, and still walks, there are "C" clips which can go on the outside of the receiver for both sides which will prevent the movement of the pin. Normally you have this issue with full auto versions, but does occur from time to time w/ semi weapons. Take a set of calipers and measure the diameter of the pin and it should be something in the area of .152-3. If not purchase a mil spec hammer pin and insert and see if that solves the promblem of "walking." Since the SR556 is new, contact Ruger and explain the problem and normally their service is quite good and will send you a new pin/hammer. Keep us posted and perhaps others can be of more assistance to you.

martin

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Pretty much what MFD said:
(this from ar15.com)

Q2. do you ever find the trigger and hammer pin move, or are they held in place fairly well? Ive seen some locking pins, are they necessary?

A2. If the FCG is installed correctly.... there will be no movement of the pins. There is a "j" hook installed in the hammer that firmly holds the hammer pin in place..... so that cannot move. Then, when the hammer is installed, one of the legs of the spring rest in the groove on the trigger pin, so that one cannot move. I dont see the real use of "anti-walk" pins unless you are running some sort of custom trigger that does not have these designs in place. Or, if you do not want the pins to rotate in the receiver, you can install oversized pins like in the RRA triggers, or a KNS pin set which locks them from moving sideway or rotating.

Bullet Puller

Bearcat
I checked my SR-556 today and the trigger mechanism is somewhat similar to the M1 and M14. What you are hearing is the hammer shifting off of the disconnector and back onto the sear. This is nothing to be concerned about. My Mini-14 does the same thing, but not quite as audible.
I am heading to the range tomorrow morning. Will keep an eye on the trigger and hammer pins.

Larry

mikeco

Bearcat
Thanks for all the feedback. Enjoy your own range time, I think it is a nice rifle.

I sent Ruger an email about the walking pin, we'll see what they say. I need some time to take the rifle apart and check those pins again, see if anything looks amiss.

Also while at the range a shooter at the bench next to me showed me his KNS anti-walk pins. Seem useful if it is really a problem, but I am not ready to declare it that just yet.

Mike

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Dont get frustrated if you dont get a reply back this week, I think they are closed this week for inventory.

mikeco

Bearcat
Well here is the reply I received back this morning. They arranged UPS to pick it up this Monday. I tried to talk them into sending me the parts but that was a non-starter. They said they don't have spares of any parts, that everything is on the production line at this time. Jeezus, here we go.

>>>I shot my new SR-556 for the first time this weekend. Within shooting the first 25 rounds the forward hammer/trigger pin (Key no 10 - but the forward pin) had walked out from left to right. It made the trigger unable to fire, and the bolt was far enough back to prevent opening the upper.

I tapped the pin back in with a rubber mallet, and the rifle resumed working. But I wanted to let you know about it, and see if you might have suggestions about to prevent.

Response:
We have an upgraded pin and spring. Contact us at 603-865-2442 with your serial number and a UPS pick up can be scheduled for the firearm.

<<<

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Yours is the first Ive heard of of having this problem. Some have run several hundred to a couple thousand rounds through theirs without this complaint, so yours sounds like an rare problem.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
mikeco":213m1knb said:
Well here is the reply I received back this morning. They arranged UPS to pick it up this Monday. I tried to talk them into sending me the parts but that was a non-starter. They said they don't have spares of any parts, that everything is on the production line at this time. Jeezus, here we go.

>>>I shot my new SR-556 for the first time this weekend. Within shooting the first 25 rounds the forward hammer/trigger pin (Key no 10 - but the forward pin) had walked out from left to right. It made the trigger unable to fire, and the bolt was far enough back to prevent opening the upper.

I tapped the pin back in with a rubber mallet, and the rifle resumed working. But I wanted to let you know about it, and see if you might have suggestions about to prevent.

Response:
We have an upgraded pin and spring. Contact us at 603-865-2442 with your serial number and a UPS pick up can be scheduled for the firearm.

<<<

I have read somewhere else that the first run of the SR-556 have this issue. what is your serial number mfg date? I made sure that when I get mine (arrives today) that it was made recently.

the gun shop I ordered from said they got there last Monday... so I am assuming it has the updated pin (hopefully).