Range Report: SR9 vs Glock 19

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ganderson

Bearcat
On my lunchtime trip to the range today I rented their gen.3 Glock 19 to do a little head to head comparison with my SR9. I was tempted to do this because I keep hearing about what a great gun the G19 is and the SR9 is frequently mentioned as a direct competitor so to be honest I wanted to see what I might be missing.

Anyway, below are a few comparative observations from the session. FWIW my SR9 has almost 900 rounds through it and like I said, the Glock is a range rental but appeared in perfect condition. Also, I have never fired a Glock before today. I put about 75 rounds through each pistol and of course this is all my humble opinion.

Mag Loading: Might be a trivial issue for some but the first thing I noticed was how much EASIER it is to load the Glocks mag. I have tried to "break-in" my SR9's mags through use and keeping them loaded at home but they just seem unnecessarily stiff to load without the loading tool... especially compared to the Glock. 15 rds load smoothly into the Glock mag with just fingers, IMO the way it should be with a defense oriented pistol.

Racking the slide: Again, may be trivial but since I have seen a few complaints about the stoutness of the SR9's recoil spring I though it might be worth mentioning. The Glock requires maybe 15-20% less effort to cycle the slide but not a huge difference to me. I think I prefer the feel of the slide serrations on the SR9 though. It's also worth mentioning that the slide release lever on the Glock requires FAR less effort to actuate one handed... the release on my SR9 is really stiff and can barely be done 1 handed.

Ergonomics: The difference in grip angle was a non-issue for me. I was expecting to notice it more with all of the talk about the Glock design but it pointed fine and I didn't feel I was having to make any odd corrections once out in front of me.

The grip shape of the the Glock though was a different story. The rectangular profile combined with the "humped" backstrap shape was just odd feeling in my hand. I have medium sized hands and I could get plenty of solid feeling grip on it, as a matter of fact my fingers wrap further around it than with the SR9, but it just felt like I was hanging onto a utilitarian tool that wasn't sculpted with a whole lot of consideration given to the shape of the human hand. Going back and forth between the Glock and the SR9 was shocking from a comfort perspective. The SR9 simply feels organic, like an extension of your hand in contrast to the Glock. Also, for me a high, thumbs forward grip felt much more natural with the Ruger.

Sights: The Glock's blockier fixed sights lined up a little quicker and easier for me and I preferred the markings on the Glock sights as well. The sights on the SR9 are ok but I would gladly sacrifice the rear adjustable and trade them in for the Glock style.

Trigger: Glock wins. Not quite as crisp a break as the SR9 but the pull is lighter, smoother and more consistent and it seems to reset faster. I do not care for the SR9 trigger at all and hope to God that there is an aftermarket option available soon (GHOST!).

Recoil: Due to the weight difference I thought I knew what to expect here but was still surprised at how much sharper the recoil was with the Glock with the same loads. Not bad or anything but when compared directly the SR9 has noticably less muzzle flip and "softer" recoil and is quicker to get back on target after the shot.

Accuracy: Really close. If I had to choose I would say my Glock groups were slightly tighter. I would also have to say that this was because of the better trigger and better sights... things which will hopefully be easily fixable with the Ruger eventually.

That's all I can think of right now.

It was a lot of fun. I was honestly expecting to be swept off my feet by the Glock's amazingness to the point of rehearsing mock conversations with my wife about why I came home with a new Glock tonight but left the range/shop without one and pretty happy with my Ruger for now.

I did like the Glock though... it shot great for a little brick and would probably be a better CCW than the SR9.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
How many rounds are on your SR9? The one I use for classes and training has about 2400 and is carried for with CLP. I use it in classes and for for general range use and IDPA. In classes we do wounded shooter drills and the like and do my slide release one handed all the time. Even left handed using the index finger. Releases pretty easy. I guess my carry gun with 400 rounds is a bit tighter.

Remember too, that Glock wasa rental/range gun and may of had a few more roudns on it too loosen things up a bit and wear them in. The difference between my two SR9's is more apparent which has the higher round count.

Nice review though. The only time I've shot GLOCKS was in FOF class and they were Simunition converted. They're just ugly and fell weird. IF I was that worried about a trigger, I'd have a 1911. That reminds me, I need to get a 1911.

Ganderson

Bearcat
Thanks guys.

Turbo... my SR9 has just shy of 900 rouds through it so it may loosen up over time but you have to bear down pretty hard with your thumb to get it to release.

I just measured trigger pull at 10 - 13.3 lb (tip and crest) with a Shimpo FGE-10 Digital Force Gauge. I don't expect a 1911 trigger but come on!

kscott

Single-Sixer
Nice review. I thought it was fair to both parties. Not often do you see somebody do an unbiased comparison on a weapon they own and one that sparks so much hatred/love. Good read. I'd like to do the same some day.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Very good review and I pretty much agree on all counts. 10 - 13 lb trigger pull sounds about right too. When I dry-fire glocks and XD's it seems effortless compared to the SR9.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
With that trigger being that tough to pull on the SR9 why did they put a safety on the thing?

The safety is what would send me to the Glock or XD. And I hold that grip safety against the XD too so it would be gblock for me.

tk

ConradM

Blackhawk
tkarter":1t333y1r said:
With that trigger being that tough to pull on the SR9 why did they put a safety on the thing?

The safety is what would send me to the Glock or XD. And I hold that grip safety against the XD too so it would be gblock for me.

tk

:lol: Why don't you like the grip safety? I don't even feel it when I handle an XD... XD's are so SEXY! :D

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I actually kinda like the grip safety on the XDs. I'm one of those that almost had a AD/ND due to catching his shirttail in a Glock trigger upon reholstering at one point. And I also shoot 1911s, so I'm used to it. OTOH, I noted when I had my XD-SC that you tend to push down on the grip safety when reholstering, so I'm wondering if the "added safety" is more an illusion...

-- Sam

Ganderson

Bearcat
yeah... the stock trigger pull on the SR9 is pretty much an additional safety.

It definitely takes extra concentration to shoot tight groups.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
ConradM":ha9nwfgi said:
tkarter":ha9nwfgi said:

tk

:lol: Why don't you like the grip safety? I don't even feel it when I handle an XD... XD's are so SEXY! :D

A safety on a handgun leads to false trust.

I prefer the safety between my ears that says keep your finger and other things off the trigger.

The 1911 didn't even start out with a safety.

As for the XD I will have a grip on it any time I handle it so... It isn't a safety but they call it that so I stick with I want guns that go bang when the trigger is pulled.

As stated the SR9 has one tough trigger pull compared to most striker fired pistols. Ruger didn't need the safety or the mag safety. They put it there for the commie bass turds that want to take guns away.

tk

airwin

Bearcat
As an Austrian citizen I own Glocks for sure and love them. Even though in compare to other guns, I feel that on Glock guns the trigger guard is a little bit too small, or the "space" for the trigger finger ist too little. After shooting my P95 with its curved trigger (very comfortable) the G19 feels closer in the trigger area. Further on, I don´t like the little safety-tongue in the trigger. Therefore I have modified all my trigger-tongues that they are plane with the trigger contour when the trigger and its tongue is pulled. With this mod the trigger finger doesn´t hurt at shooting sessions with many hundered rounds through the gun. And it´s not a lack of safety, bacause the tongue is pressed against the trigger still enough. Since many k rounds I didn´t have any problem with this little modification.
The recoil of Glock guns feels usually more stiff as of many other guns. I think this is why the slide is ligthter as of other guns and therefore the counterweight to the fired round is less. A heavy slide will absorb the recoil-energy better as a light weight slide.

Mike J

Hunter
Sam I make a point when reholstering my XD to keep my hand off the grip safety. It's been a couple of years ago I guess now but I read about a policeman in Mass that died after shooting himself in the leg while holstering his gun. They said it was a S&W. If it was a M & P it's pretty much the same as a Glock trigger though.
airwin-I think the reason percieved recoil is higher with Glocks is their bore axis is so low. To me it also means less muzzle flip & makes it easier for fast follow up shots. It seems like everything is a trade off one way or another between the different platforms.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Mike J":2yfdshdn said:
Sam I make a point when reholstering my XD to keep my hand off the grip safety. It's been a couple of years ago I guess now but I read about a policeman in Mass that died after shooting himself in the leg while holstering his gun. They said it was a S&W. If it was a M & P it's pretty much the same as a Glock trigger though.
airwin-I think the reason percieved recoil is higher with Glocks is their bore axis is so low. To me it also means less muzzle flip & makes it easier for fast follow up shots. It seems like everything is a trade off one way or another between the different platforms.

That sounds like a lack of trigger finger control.

Mike J

Hunter
The article didn't say other than the man was preparing his duty belt to go to work. Trigger could have snagged on clothes. Who knows? I don't have a link because it's been a pretty good while back. It was either in Mass. or Maine. I think. I have also heard stories about drawstrings on jackets finding their way into trigger guards. The mans femoral artery was severed. EMT's arrived but they couldn't stop the bleeding.
As I saw someone post on another forum the other day "you should always take your time when reholstering". Especially with a Glock type pistol you should look the gun into the holster.

jhstancil

Bearcat
The SR9 safety is one thing I have said I love on the SR9. I know they too can fail....but....it is nice to have and its location is perfect for me

raw6464

Bearcat
I have no doubt the SR9 is a well built well thought out very fine semiauto pistol. I don't have one but I have 2 other Rugers and a big Ruger fan.

The comparison here was a well done, unbiased views of the two guns. And as any gun we all have likes and dislikes, for sure there is a larger diverse between each and every one of us.

I recently purchased a Glock 17 (9mm). During my research I had the SR9 , S&W M&P, Springfield XD and a few others on my short list.

What it came down to it, just about every review I came across, all these guns where judged against the Glock. It became apparent, Glock is the gold standard of semiautos. Why? Some guns have a better this or a better that but when the rubber meets the road after 25 years on the market NOBODY has made any significant improvement on Glocks original architecture with the fewest parts of any gun in this league. The gun is an engineering marvel with it's simplicity, ease of maintenance and reliability. A marvel considering the man who engineered it was not in the gun business!

When it comes to accessories the 1911 and the Glock are the leaders of the pack. In a nut shell it's approaching 1911 heritage and the Glock is the target all other manufacturers try to beat. All things considered it was that reason I decided to buy the Glock, why buy a copycat? Now with Generation 4, Glock has adding the creature features that the other guns have (changeable grip back strap, ambidex mag release...etc).

So I'm sure the SR9 is a fine firearm... but it's not a Glock and the Glock is not a Blackhawk... render unto Caeser what is Caesers.