Range Report/New SR40c review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Finally got my Ruger SR40c home and then to the range, after enduring California's 30 day interval between handgun purchases, and then the 10 day wait after purchase. The pistol had a fair amount of grease on it, so I first cleaned it up and lubed it. The gun certainly breaks down easily.

At the range I had a noteworthy experience that I have never had with any other firearm. At 30 feet with the first shot I scored a perfect bullseye. Wondering if it were a fluke, 9 more shots followed, several others also bullseyes (but a couple of flyers too.) I now understand all the talk about the trigger on the SR40c. It is very, very good and makes trigger control (i.e. not jerking the trigger) very easy to practice. I had thought and heard that the 40 cal. S&W was a tough round to control, but I did not find that to be so, at least with the SR40c. Frankly, my groups were pretty comparable to what I often do (on a good day) with a high-end 1911 .45, which is high praise indeed.

The pistol did have one failure to eject on the second magazine. This problem did not recur. Not sure what happened there. I ejected the round and re-fired it later and it was fine. I fired 100 rounds this afternoon and after that first FTE no further problems. The slide locked back after every magazine.

Kudos to Ruger -- the sights on my SR40c were absolutely perfect right out of the box (hence that first bullseye shot!). I had considered getting the adjustable Williams sights that Ruger offers for the SR9c/SR40c, but after today's stellar experience with the stock sights, I am leaving them alone.

Tomorrow gonna hang the Crimson Trace SR9c laser (which also fits the SR40c) on the pistol. Already on the way from Amazon.

Watched the Ruger video on removing and cleaning the striker. Figured out how to do that and did it. My SR40c striker and striker channel were actually quite clean from the factory. No problems there.

Quite honestly, I did not expect to like the SR40c nearly as much as I do. It is not an expensive gun, after all. But frankly, I would stack it up against many considerably more expensive guns. Glad I selected it over the (excellent) M&P40c and the comparable Glock and XDs that I looked at the same day I bought the SR40c. I think that Ruger has a winner with the SR40c.

Here is the gun freshly cleaned after today's lunchtime range outing:
DSC_0717.jpg

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on the new family member!

I will agree with you that Ruger has a fine handgun in the 40c.
I own both the 9 & 40c's and to me they're my best handling and shooting guns. :shock:

Thanks for the review and shoot straight.

Lateck,

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Redleg, great report and I'm glad your seeing the same results I am. Man it looks good in black... I have the stainless hum, might have to pick up a second. I really love the look of the Crimson Trace and like the idea of lasers in general but I gotta ask-

Mine is my everyday carry and I always carry with the 9 round magazine, it looks to me like the button may be in the way of already scarce real estate when getting a good grip on it. But I've never spoken to someone who's had the CT laser installed. So I guess my question is how much does this mess with your instinctive grip when drawing?

Edit: I like to carry with the flat magazine plate on the 9 round mag.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Hi REI40c

At least for me the CT lasergrip does not interfere with anything. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a master switch so that you can switch it off and solely use iron sights. It is possible to grip the gun so that you don't activate the laser when firing.

The laser grip is very instinctive; you just squeeze and shoot.

I do not conceal-carry so I cannot speak to how the laser/holster situation will be for you.

I personally prefer the extended magazine base but as you can see I have a couple of each. I actually have 4 additional mags, all with the extension.

Really pleased with how the SR40c shoots. I had heard negative things about how 40 S&W handles, but I found that I really like the way the SR40c shoots. Crisp trigger, great sights; a real shooter.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Good to know that you can grip it without activating the laser. I previously owned a lasermax which I think was defective. Just light pressure would activate the laser. Once, while transporting it in the ruger plastic box it made contact with the inside of the box somehow and when I got to my destination the battery was dead. With the location of the Crimson Trace button though seems that would not be an issue at all.

The only thing holding me back from it atm tbh is the price. At a little over $200, that's almost halfway to buying another pistol. Plus I'd have to find a new holster.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Rei40c said:
Good to know that you can grip it without activating the laser. I previously owned a lasermax which I think was defective. Just light pressure would activate the laser. Once, while transporting it in the ruger plastic box it made contact with the inside of the box somehow and when I got to my destination the battery was dead. With the location of the Crimson Trace button though seems that would not be an issue at all.

The only thing holding me back from it atm tbh is the price. At a little over $200, that's almost halfway to buying another pistol. Plus I'd have to find a new holster.

You might take a look at the Crimson Trace Rail Master. Fits right on the rail. This is a very good laser; I am using one on my Ruger SR22P so it should fit fine on the SR9c/SR40c. These can be had for about $129 on Amazon. Here is my review on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R4HK8I3KHWQXE/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006JVZA7W&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Rei40c said:

You might take a look at the Crimson Trace Rail Master. Fits right on the rail. This is a very good laser; I am using one on my Ruger SR22P so it should fit fine on the SR9c/SR40c. These can be had for about $129 on Amazon. Here is my review on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R4HK8I3KHWQXE/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006JVZA7W&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=