Rambling of a newbee about Marlin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drjjpdc

Bearcat
Yes, I belong to both forums also. The short answer is that I don't hunt anymore and I like taking a rifle and pistol to the range with the same ammo. Cuts down on wasting range time and loading both with the same stuff. As to actions, I like Marlins and Henrys are very cool. But I love my bolt action Savage in .17 HMR and my Bolt action Marlin in .22 mag. Same goes for the .44 mag and .45 LC calibers. I think you get my drift.

Otony

Blackhawk
Being left handed I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the lever action is one of my better options (I do like single shots too, for the record). There are more right handed bolt actions in the house than those sinister, simply because some desirable designs were never made left handed. That is one of the graces of a lever gun, it is catholic in its ability to suit anyone.

That being the case, I have managed to acquire five Marlins and one Browning, ranging from .357 to .45-70. I have all the rifles than I need, less than I want, and more lever actions on my "wanted" list. This means lever actions make me happy, and what better reason that that?.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I have my doubts about Cerberus. While it's an interesting company, the reality is that its a private equity fund with a tradition of undercapitalizing its acquisitions. It is the same company which bought Chrysler.... It has a history of buying companies, firing people until it makes it look profitable (in the short term) and then selling the company before it totally collapses.

This is the kind of behavior Cerberus does during "good" years. Right now, the economy isn't good. I hate to imagine how much they are going to strip the gun companies to maintain the bottom line, at the sacrifice of quality and research and development. You see that a lot right now with companies laying non-essential people off. Non-essential people usually include the R&D folks who are the ones who the company needs for future product development. Firing those folks makes a company look ok for the short term, but long term you have to expect real problems.

LTB45

Bearcat
I too am a member of the Marlin forum. And my 336 is one of my favorite rifles.
Reading this thread and all the posts for matching calibers, nobody mentioned CAS (unless I missed them). Matched caliber levers and single actions are real nice for Cowboy Action Shooting.
When I get all the guns I need for CAS, I will definitely be joining the local group. Fun stuff!!!

DGW1949

Hunter
Old Judge Creek":2yhwq43i said:
DGW1949":2yhwq43i said:
To me, the 336 is a bit bulky and cumbersome. That, and I don't scope my rifles....so there goes the only practical advantage that a Marlin has over a Winchester.

Different strokes for different folks.

DGW

DGW we agree and disagreee. I too think the 336 is a bit cumbersome and my centerfire rifles don't wear scopes with the exception of my Models 77 243 and 270. Those are my extreme precision rifles.

To use Mel Tappans term, most of my rifles, and all of my lever rifles, are working guns, and I respecfully disagree that there isn't a world of difference between Marlins and Winchester.

Yes, it's personal opinion, but for me, my working rifles generally need to be easy to pack along, easy (or "slick") handling, handy when I need 'em and out of the way when I don't - which is almost all of the time.

Marlins come out of the box with far better quality iron sights than any production Winchester I've seen in the last 50 years and the Marlins also come out of the box invested with the most critical feature of all: options. The receivers are pre-drilled and tapped for either receiver sights or optics.

And I have absolutely nothing againt Winchester. One of my all time favorite rifles is a rare Pre-USRAC 30-30 Trapper:

94Trapper.jpg

Well OldJudge.....me thinks that we are closer than you think.

I once had an older strait-gripped Marlin 336 SRC that came with thinner wood than either a "regular" 336 or their "Texan" model. It was a very nice looking carbine, and accurate enough, and slim enough...but to me, it just didn't carry nor balance as well as a Winchester. But that's a personal thing.

Marlins are easier to field strip than a Winchester '94......and lend themselves well to cleaning from the breech end. That matters to some people, so I can see where that would certainly be a consideration when they're choosing which rifle they wanted.
I should have mentioned that in my first post, but failed to.

Far as sights go....I can't say about the new offerings, but I've got quite a few Marlin and Winchester (rear) sights in my parts box and I can say for sure that aside from the semi-buckhorns and a few fold-down leafs, there aint a nickel's worth of difference in any of their "standard" stamped-out rear sights. In fact, a lot of the rear sights that came on 336's is also the exact same sight that they were putting on their cheap 22's......which don't matter much to me because I always modify my rifle's sighting arrangement to better suit me anyway.
I don't care for front sight beads on any gun. So whether the bead is silver, ivory, black or brass, pressed-in or machined-on simply doesn't matter....'cause it's getting swapped for a straight post anyhow. But that's just me.

Far as I know, most every 336 and Winchester '94 of modern manufacture is D&T'd for a reciever sight. If either isn't these days, it's a recent change.

I'm with you 100% on the working gun/scope thing.
As rifles go, I only got three....and all three of mine are "working guns". It's probably been over 20 years since I've even owned gun that had a scope.

And just for the record....
I liked my old straight-gripped 336 a lot. I just didn't like it as much as my Winchester '94. And being's how I am basicly a tite wad, I couldn't rationalize owning more than one 30-30 carbine.
If it weren't for that particular character flaw of mine, I too would still be a Marlin owner. :lol: .

DGW

batmann

Single-Sixer
My apologizes to Marlin owners, but when I bought my .30-30 I chose the Winchester M94 with the Walnut checkering. One reason was it matched my M9422M and the second, it just felt better in my hands. I had two choices to make, brand and caliber.
As mentioned, neither one has great factory sights and like those have also mentioned, they just don't balance with a scope. I replaced my sights with the Williams Fire Sights, put on a quick detach swivels for a sling and it has become my favorite rifle.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire...

If I were to run out and buy a .45 Colt levergun today it would be the Henry Big Boy. I was just checking my dealer's page at Davidson's, and I can actually get the Big Boy for $10 less than the Marlin 1894C.

The Marlin's steel received is probably stronger, but I'm not so into heavy loads that I really care.

I've heard absolutely fantastic things about Henry's customer service.

-- Sam

Knuckles

Buckeye
I'll throw another stick in the spokes with this "RUGER" 96/44 lever - gun... after all, this is the "Ruger"- Forum. :wink:

Why this gun isn't in many calibers I'll never know. :roll:

Picture028-1.jpg

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
knuckles":3rz167z8 said:
I'll throw another stick in the spokes with this "RUGER" 96/44 lever - gun... after all, this is the "Ruger"- Forum. :wink:

How 'bout cuz the mag is restricted to 4 rounds and my Marlin Cowboy holds 13+1?

Or the overwide stock to accomodate the magazine wher the traditional lever guns are sleek and flat and easy to pack in a saddle scabbard? You won't spend much time on a horse with that Ruger under your leg.
As much as I love my Rugers and as slick as the 96/44 truly is, either one of those is a deal breaker in my world.

:wink: :wink:

(and I own Ruger stock....... )

:lol:

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Lever guns, I have three in 30-30 two Winchesters and a Glendfield 30A (cheap 336). Got the Glendfield from an older woman here that couldn't find the combination to her gun safe after she divorced and her husband moved away. She and my wife went through the desk where they thought the combination was and couldn't find it and went upstairs to look through more papers. Took me two minutes looking in the desk to find the combination, opened it and took out the Glendfield. Walked upstairs with it in my hand and said "Judy can I have this gun." She looked at me and said "Did you get the safe open." DUH!! Anyway after we helped move her out of her house she gave me the Glenfield. Have not fired it since I recieved it. Have not fired my NIB Winchester Centennial either.
I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt and a Winchester Trapper in .45 Colt they are the ones that get shot the Marlin is a great gun, can't remember the last time I fired a 30-30.

Sorry for rambling, got a few more lever guns also. :lol:

Dana

Knuckles

Buckeye
Old Judge Creek":16hw2q6d said:
knuckles":16hw2q6d said:

How 'bout cuz the mag is restricted to 4 rounds and my Marlin Cowboy holds 13+1?

Or the overwide stock to accomodate the magazine wher the traditional lever guns are sleek and flat and easy to pack in a saddle scabbard? You won't spend much time on a horse with that Ruger under your leg.
As much as I love my Rugers and as slick as the 96/44 truly is, either one of those is a deal breaker in my world.

:wink: :wink:

(and I own Ruger stock....... )

:lol:

Barring you don't ride a nag (and I don't) Ruger's lever gun stood alone in form and function... it could have been a big hit if they offered it in the many other calibers besides .. 44mag and .22
all but there SA revolvers are funky and clunky looking.

The 96/44 handles slick and carries light... it's a dream of a gun... it ain't no saddle carbine, but that's not what they meant to make.

ClintV

Single-Sixer
At the moment, I own 7 Marlin levers, and an equal number of Ruger single actions. It is inevitable that I would have some same caliber combos (.44, .357, .22), but until Ruger starts making .444 and .45-70 revolvers, I'll never have them all matched up.

I ain't worried about SHTF scenarios.....I have an AR and a Sig for that. My levers and SAs are for fun, and huntin. And fun and huntin is something I do a lot more than fighting through the apocolypse and killin zombies. :lol:

Knuckles

Buckeye
Old Judge Creek":3f39hy13 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knuckles, I do hope you realize I'm funnin' ya. My intent is NOT to pick an argument. I've played a little drums myself once upon a time and I have to admit I do enjoy teasing drummers.

What do you call those guys that always hang around with musicians...? :twisted:

Drummers!

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I'm A Marlin forum member also, same screen name. I like the 1894 in 45 Colt but that matches a large number of my revolvers. I would have a 357 also if I could find one I like. 1894's are more handy than 336, to me.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Marlin 336's are bulky and bulgy at the fore end... here's what i did to my 336RC

Before-------
Picture028-1.jpg

After--------
vcvcv007.jpg

One more---
shaved a who-lotta mahogany off this one... I like it now.
vcvcv005.jpg

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Here is my 336 in .356 Win sporting a 16.25" barrel. Handy rifle to carry in the woods.
Marlingtrapper.jpg

Or how bout a Puma M92 in .454Casull with a 16" barrel
Puma1.jpg

Or maybe a Win M94 Trapper in .45 Colt also with a 16" barrel
M94Trapper.jpg

I like short lever guns.:shock:

Greebe

Oh Shoot

Bearcat
Marlin 1894c and Ruger Blackhawk Convertible, my .357/.38/9mm combo.

Also have Marlin 336 in .30-30.

- OS