rail lube for P345?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buyguns

Bearcat
What do you use on the rails. I never had totally plastic rails on a pistol.

welder

Buckeye
I use Wilson gun lube on all my autos (Ruger plastic included) and it works really well, trick is just don't over do it, otherwise it attracts too much debris.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Tetra, Wilsons, shooters, whatever.
I personally use finish line extreme Fluoro, 100% pure teflon light grease.
But it really doesn't matter that's the bottom line, something light and not sticky or gummy and you're in business.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I use Moly-Lube...comes in a spray with a little straw, so I can pinpoint target it right on there. Dries quick and will not attract dust.

MD

One thing I've always wondered about "gun lubes" is the use of a synthetic or conventional oil/grease. Most of the Syn lubes I can think of are somewhat resistant to "absorbing" dirt/crud/powder residue.Kind of like how syn oil lasts longer and is somewhat better for automotive uses as long as it is not used in a 68 cadillac convertible with an original 472c.i.d that hasn't had an oil change is 20 years(talk about gasket leaks). But to me it would seem the opposite for the lube when used as a gun lube. Wouldn't you want it to resist acting like a cleaning agent and not absorb dirt/powder that will act like lapping compound. I kind of forgot about it for awhile but this reminded me as the poly frame on the P345 was one of my concerns with conventional petrol based lubes/oil's.Mind that I'm only 23 even though age and wisdom don't always go hand in hand like they should , just turned it today.Just things I've wondered as I clean my firearms , but then again maybe a conventional oil might help as it seems to break up large particles where as they might just get trapped in the synthetic.I felt this all applied as it worried me with the poly frame rails , to me this merit's some testing.

Kris Allen

lol sry , I know I made that a harder choice but they are good questions.I was using moly lube in a tube but got worried about it getting gritty and wearing the rails , once their gone their gone most times. I was on a typin spree.Slide glide is great and i'm gonna get some soon.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Don't own a 345 but Shooter's Choice High Tech grease goes on the rails of my P97 and all other autos. Sparingly!! :)

Spike12

Bearcat
On my full size autos (345, 1911, Sig 220); I apply a **little** gun grease with a Q Tip. With the Q TIP I can spread it around where I want it and control the thickness.

On 380 autos (PPK/S, Sig 230); I apply a little gun oil again, with a Q Tip. I've found that the 230, in particular, will stop working if not almost dry.

In all cases I used a product designed for GUNS. Not fishing gear, cars, or boats, or kitchen appliances. The brand doesn't matter too much because of the light application vs. something else like wheel bearings. Plus I don't expect to run for more than 500 or so rounds before I clean it again anyway.

For spray I used G96 or RemOil.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Spike12":3gkhqdq9 said:
On my full size autos (345, 1911, Sig 220); I apply a **little** gun grease with a Q Tip. With the Q TIP I can spread it around where I want it and control the thickness.

For spray I used G96 or RemOil.

I also use a QTip to apply Pachmayr gun grease to the rails of my semi-autos.

And I use RemOil spray for just about everything else.