R1 trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Deadeye

Bearcat
I'm new to the 1911 format. I just purchased a Remington R1 Enhanced and the trigger has a little side to side play. The trigger is very crisp with little over travel. It almost compares to my S&W model 41 trigger. My question is can the side play be corrected or are 1911 triggers just that way? Thanks.....

revhigh

Hawkeye
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you really want to 'fix' it ... You need to replace the trigger with a gunsmith or self
fitted oversize trigger.

I'd leave it ... It sounds like its pretty good as is.

REV

Precision32

Blackhawk
The trigger shoe free floats on the end of the trigger bow and the trigger bow rides in a channel machined into the frame. With a properly fit trigger and the gun disassembled, the trigger should fall out of the frame on its own when the gun is pointed up. The 1911 is made to be loose. That's why they just run and run and run. If you remove the play there is a real good chance that the trigger will not return when the gun gets dirty.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The trigger shoe free floats on the end of the trigger bow and the trigger bow rides in a channel machined into the frame.

The trigger shoe/fingerpiece is solidly fixed to the end of the bow. The bow itself may move up and down, but the shoe doesn't "float" on the bow...or at least it shouldn't. Thompson Auto Ordnance attached them with a single pin that did allow some wiggle, but that was Thompson AO. They weren't known to assemble very good pistols.

Prior to 1942, the triggers were one-piece...milled from a solid block of steel. The rush to production in '42 introduced the 2-piece trigger with the shoe staked onto the bow, and by 1946, Colt was silver soldering them on.

Early on, Springfield (Geneseo) used milled triggers.

A little vertical play in the trigger won't hurt anything. Too much can bring on problems with the disconnect's reset.

How much are we talkin'?

Precision32

Blackhawk
Your correct. Poor wording on my part. I meant that the trigger is not pinned to the frame as they are in some firearms. Good catch. :oops:

I run a GI milled trigger in my carry arm.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
FYI...All the Sistemas aka "Argentine Colts" had short, milled triggers from the start until the end of production.

Deadeye

Bearcat
Got to shoot the R1 Remington yesterday for the first time.... Very accurate and I do like the trigger. My dealer didn't have any SR1911's when I was looking. From what I've read they appear to be very well built.