Quick SR9C range report...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Hi all.
Just picked up a brand spankin new Ruger SR9C yesterday in Stainless.
Very nice gun. Out the door for under $400!!
Fits my hand perfect with either of the mags installed. 10 round mag with and without pinky support...still comfortable.

Put 200 rounds through it today at range...with only 2 non-fires... primer was struck but no Bang!! I'm thinking just an ammo thing. All other 198 rounds went flawless. Using WWB FMJ. Both non-fires were from same box of 100. Other 100 round box was flawless Not too worried.
Sights were dead on right out of the box.
Makes for a nice paper-puncher.
Recoil is a non-event even with only 2 fingers on it. Very Manageable.
Only thing i noticed is the slide release is super tight....have to pull slide back a bit to release it. I'm sure it will wear in but very tight for now.
Trigger pull is fantastic....very predictable break,nice feel. Not gritty, good action.
Using for CCW and fits perfect in IWB holster. Small grip doesn't poke you in the side...not too heavy. Very nice piece.
Magazines are still a bit stiff and sometimes difficult to load. But i'm sure they will wear after some use.
Disassembled and cleaned pistol after range visit....super easy to take apart with no surprises.
No; i didn't take out the mag disconnect safety YET!! But looks identical to full size SR9.
No "peening" apparent on barrel, for all of you wondering!

Highly recommend this compact pistol to who-ever needs something nice and compact to carry with the famous Ruger reliability to boot.
Loaded with some modern +P Jacketed Hollow Points...makes this a very capable self defense pistol.
Try it......you might like what you see!!!

revhigh

Hawkeye
All that, and not one sentence regarding how well it shot or grouped ??? :D We KNOW it will go BANG.

I'd think a 'range report' would include a description of how well it did on the 'range' !!

C'mon ... how'd it SHOOT ??? :D

REV

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Sorry i didn't include details or pics of my range results.
Shooting WWB i was able to keep 3 inch groups at about 25 feet.
Granted i'm not at all an excellent shot but hey....that kind of grouping will bring very good results if ever needed in an emergency.
Recoil is not a big deal allowing me to get back on target quick..unlike my snappy G23..which takes a bit more work.

Next time i go to the range.. (this upcoming week) i will post the results and YES some pics!!
Just don't tease me too much about my non sniper like skills!!

stayed tuned.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Glad it shot well for you gulf !!

Keep us informed ... it seems like you're about the only one who has actually shot one so far.

I just saw one at my LGS ... looks nice enough ... just not for me at this point .... lose the rail and the front slide serrations and I'd take a harder look. :D

REV

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I took mine out to the range this afternoon and it shoots great. The trigger breaks crisply with absolutely no gritty feel to it and the trigger pull is not too heavy at all. Recoil is very manageable with quick follow-up shots. It shoots really great.

I did not shoot it for target accuracy at 25 yards, but rather shot it at 10 yards for function and ccw accuracy. I ran 160 rounds through it with no issues whatsoever.

I too found my slide release to be very tight but, on the other hand, I had no major issues with either of the magazines being stiff, I was able to load them up quite easily. I also ran 8 full mags through it with my 8 old SR9 mags, feed and functioned like butter.

I really like the front slide serrations and the finger extension, they really add to the handling and functionality of the gun.

My only real "gripe" is that it would nice for Ruger to include a set screw in the mag sleeve, like A&G does, so that the sleeve doens't move up and down on the full size mag.

The SR9c fits perfectly in my Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster for my Glock 19.

Great gun, I am very pleased with mine.

BB45C

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Man, y'all making my wating even worse. I should finally get mine today. Seems the truck bringing it to my locl FFL has been stuck in OK in the ice and snow. But it's in town now, finally. Hope to have it in my hands and out to the range sometime this afternoon. Woo Hoo!

moxcamel

Bearcat
Just got my brand new SR9C on Sunday, but unfortunately haven't had the time to fire it yet. And sadly it's probably going to be at least 2 weeks before I get the time. So thanks for letting me live a little vicariously through you. :) Glad you like the gun!

(oh and first time poster here...howdy all!)

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Well, I finally got mine (thanks again acrylictnk) so I'll add my 2 cents. Slide release impossible to to use by hand. You have to pull the slide back or it don't go. I took the fret hammer to it a couple times and it takes a pretty good wack to get it loose. But, the trigger is so much better than my SR9's. I might add that the striker spring seems a lot softer. I had some Fiocchi that had lights strikes but everything else shot ok. My SR9 eats that Fiocchi up though. Also, and I need to get a pick of it, teh feed ramp is very different. Much thicker at the bottom of the ramp than my SR9's.

Here are some 7 yd targets, various stuff (one hand, double taps, etc)...
SR9c-7yd1.jpg

SR9c-7yd2.jpg

Here's a family photo...
DSC03686.jpg

moxcamel

Bearcat
Well I managed to find a little extra time yesterday afternoon, so I put the first 100 rounds through my new SR9C. My thoughts pretty much mirror that of the original poster--very accurate right out of the box, nice trigger pull, and even a barn-door shooter like me had some pretty impressive groupings. The only concern I had was that out of the first 10 rounds, 3 jammed. I was fixin' to be mighty peeved, but the following 90 rounds shot flawlessly. Guess it was just some minor breaking in. I really wanted to put another 50-100 more through, but just didn't have the time.

Taking it apart for cleaning was a breeze, and no barrel peening or other mechanical issues so far.

I think I'll want to put another couple hundred rounds through before I pass final judgment, but so far Ruger gets a "mid-term" score of A. :)