Queston for the day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Once a year, I take my little S&W Airweight (2") to the range for a function test. Normally I use my (semi-hot) JHP handloads. Surpisingly, I can knock down three and very often four, of the 25 yd plates (out of five shots). Last week, I tested some (110gr) Critical Defense loads in non +P as well as +P power. I missed every single time i shot.... tried it over and over and never hit a plate. Then I loaded my (158gr) handloads and hit 4 out of 5 two times. So I went back to the range with some BIG pieces of paper and some LARGE targets (at 25yds) and tried to see where the Critical Defense loads were hitting.... The answer was "no where near where I was aiming"....In many cases they weren't even getting on the normal size target paper (about 12" square). Then I tried my handloads again and got very respectable results. I know that I should be shooting these at 7 yds and not 25yds, but I figure 'accuracy' is 'accuracy'. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on why I'm finding this 'phenomenon"; could it be that the difference in bullet weights are doing it...???

Guy M

Bearcat
By chance, were the 110's shooting very low at 25 yards, compared to your 158's?

And yes, the difference in bullet weight can make a profound difference in the point of impact from our revolvers.

Regards, Guy

mikld

Blackhawk
Different bullets react differently in the same gun. The weight difference of 48 grains is going to produce quite a different point of impact, and not necessarily just elevation. Were you getting "groups" or "patterns" with the light bullets?

5of7

Hunter
I have had similar results in a Smith 642 at 25 yds.
At 25 FEET, it is not that bad. I always shoot some stuff at 25 yds in a carry gun, but it is more a matter of curiosity than anything else. 8)

DGW1949

Hunter
Johnnu2 said:
Once a year, I take my little S&W Airweight (2") to the range for a function test. Normally I use my (semi-hot) JHP handloads. Surpisingly, I can knock down three and very often four, of the 25 yd plates (out of five shots). Last week, I tested some (110gr) Critical Defense loads in non +P as well as +P power. I missed every single time i shot.... tried it over and over and never hit a plate. Then I loaded my (158gr) handloads and hit 4 out of 5 two times. So I went back to the range with some BIG pieces of paper and some LARGE targets (at 25yds) and tried to see where the Critical Defense loads were hitting.... The answer was "no where near where I was aiming"....In many cases they weren't even getting on the normal size target paper (about 12" square). Then I tried my handloads again and got very respectable results. I know that I should be shooting these at 7 yds and not 25yds, but I figure 'accuracy' is 'accuracy'. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on why I'm finding this 'phenomenon"; could it be that the difference in bullet weights are doing it...???

"Why" you ask?...here's why:
Simply put, the sight arrangement of the .38-Spl S&W J-frames are configured with the "old school" 158-RNL "service load" in mind, and have been for as long as I can remember.
So yeah, as you yourself have observed...the further one's ammo deviates from that, the further off the bullet's impact is going to be. Plus, simple high school geometry tells us that the difference in POA VS POI @ 7 Yds will become even more pronounced as the distance to target increases.
That's just how it is.

You can take it from there.

DGW

Johnnu2

Hunter
Guy....yes the lighter bullets were shooting (at times) very low (and left); although (as mikld asked) they were not grouping but rather spraying a pattern that would sometimes go very high. 5 of 7, they weren't very good at 7 yds either, but I have to admit that I didn't pay attention because that was the first day I tried them and was sorta in shock :)). DGW1949, I never thought about that J-frame being regulated for a 158 grain bullet, but that makes a LOT of sense. Thanks to all for your input....... J

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I just bought a 442 a month ago and it was doing the same thing.
125gr. RNFP's were all over the place but with 160gr RNFP I loaded it shot pretty good. The 125gr. bullets were real short and I believe that is the cause of erratic patterns? I also tried some factory 135gr GoldDots+p loads. They also weren't to bad but not as good as the 160's.
I loaded up some 170gr. Kieth's but haven't shot any yet, maybe today.
I'm not expecting a whole bunch out of a 1 7/8"bbl. double action only revolver.
But it'll serve its purpose inside 10' with just about any ammo.

Guy M

Bearcat
Johnnu2 said:
Guy....yes the lighter bullets were shooting (at times) very low (and left); although (as mikld asked) they were not grouping but rather spraying a pattern that would sometimes go very high. 5 of 7, they weren't very good at 7 yds either, but I have to admit that I didn't pay attention because that was the first day I tried them and was sorta in shock :)). DGW1949, I never thought about that J-frame being regulated for a 158 grain bullet, but that makes a LOT of sense. Thanks to all for your input....... J

Typically the fixed-sighted .38 revolvers shoot the 158's pretty much to point of aim, and the lighter bullets will strike rather low. Typically...

Guy

Johnnu2

Hunter
Looks like my Airweight is, indeed, 'typical'......... that's a good thing :)

Thanks all,

J