Questions Regarding The OM BC4 Transfer Bar Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
On page 52 of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, 'The Ruger Single Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2', is the following statement;

"OM Bearcat transfer bar conversion action note: Very few OM Bearcats are found with the factory conversion actions. Firearms historians indicate that about 200 OM Bearcats were converted before the Bearcat conversions were recalled. The number of OM Bearcats with conversion actions remaining in circulation and future disposition were open questions, at time of writing. These revolvers, being very rare, have become highly collectible. All specimens found should be left 100% as-is and put away to maintain collector value. Work on this model, beyond basic cleaning and oiling, is not suggested and therefore not discussed in this manual."

Question #1: Is this statement true?
Question #2: What year was the recall issued?

I found a OM Alpha Bearcat (s/n Mxxx) with the transfer bar conversion & a Ruger invoice dated 1995.

Question #3: Does it fall into this category?

As always, "Thanks for your help" in advance!

lmd

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've NEVER heard of that situation. (I'd love to learn more if it's true.) The OM Bearcat "conversion kit" lockwork is exactly the same lockwork that is used in the New Bearcats which were initially produced in Nov./Dec. of 1993.

109357148.jpg

I think the "converted" OM Bearcats are rare due to the fact that most folks just won't send them in.....

JMHO,

flatgate

PS If one inspects the early "conversion kit" drawings you'll see that the "kits" were first designed for the Ruger Bearcat/Super Bearcat revolvers.

lovemydals

Buckeye
Another question:

When did Ruger start the transfer bar conversion program?

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase this "M" Alpha Bearcat with the conversion. I already have a "M" Alphacat that is not converted & condition of these two are very similiar.
lmd

Bkat

Blackhawk
I'm confused as usual--Flatgate wrote that the NM action parts and OM conversion kits are the same. In Kuhnhausen's shop manual, on p. 75, he says that the two resemble each other but are not the same. There's a chart there that lists the action parts of both the NM action parts and the OM conversion kit, and they are different. Was it only a "parts number" difference, or are they really different designs?

Thanks,
Bkat

flatgate

Hawkeye
I would imagine that Ruger has assigned "conversion kit" part numbers to the conversion kit parts and production gun part numbers to the production gun parts.

I would also imagine that Kuhnhausen is CYA, er, His A, in this situation.

JMHO,

flatgate

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
I am not aware of any Bearcat coversion recall. I have owned several converted Bearcats from early Alph to late 90 prefix serial numbers and all had the same conversion parts. Have re converted most and the parts that were removed were the same. Not sure where Jerry K is coming from on his comments or what data he has to support his views. Early converted Bearcats have no extra value..

Latest posts