Questions on my new 380 LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HsvGuy

Bearcat
Good afternoon. I just bought a new 380 LCP Custom.

I searched around and found some conversations, but they usually quick digressed.

So my questions:

1) What is a good affordable ammo for practicing use my new pistol, with emphasis on both price and lack of jamming? I would rather pay a bit more to avoid jamming, but I don't want to use premium ammo just to get used to shooting the pistol.

2) What ammo would you keep loaded in it in your nightstand?

3) Any hints on what I should know about using it, any quirks?

THANKS! Look forward to your answers.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
1. Magtech ammo is very good and cheap range ammo if you can find it in my experience. Better than federal imo, and for sure better than UMC yellow box.

2. - Personal preference, but But for me it's either Gold Dot (I believe it is 90 grains in the .380) or Hornady Critical Defense.

3- I don't own an LCP

ra

Single-Sixer
I have a LCP that I have shot around 500 rounds through and it has never jammed or missed a lick.
I have never fired a factory round in it, I can not help you there. I shoot 100 grain lead RN for practice and Remington Golden Sabre's loaded in it while it rides in my truck center console.

Roger

Jim Puke

Hunter
What they said...^^^^

And, you might want a little different home defense weapon. LCP is a great little gun and I have one...but it is not a real good choice for home defense, tho...better than nothing.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
1. Reloads with lead bullets.
2. See above or any quality FMJ.
3. Practice, practice, practice. Shot placement is king. Familiarity and confidence with your gun is queen.

I am 100% serious about all three answers. You can buy a basic .380 Auto reloading setup for less than $100.00, the cost of 250 rounds factory ammo. Yes, I reload and cast bullets for my own .32 Auto and .380.

joemsj51

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
What they said...^^^^

And, you might want a little different home defense weapon. LCP is a great little gun and I have one...but it is not a real good choice for home defense, tho...better than nothing.

I agree with Jim. Get something bigger for your house protection. At least one more inch of barrel length and a minimum of 9mm. Then you can have one on your hip and one in your pocket outdoors. The LCP is so small and light, I no longer carry an extra magazine..... just a 2nd gun with 13 rounds on my hip.

louchia

Single-Sixer
My LCP fires reliably with any factory ammo. I usually by whats on sale. As for SD, I like Hornady Critical Defense.

I use Tula, and Privi Partisan 95 gr FMJ for practice. The first 2 of carry ammo is Gold dot, followed by 5 Tula FMJ, then another magazine full of Tula FMJ. there is a need for penetration IMO. I suspect after the first two shots, if the problem isn't solved, that the miscreant will be behind cover also.
gramps

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Magtech, Speer Blazer Brass, Federal, Fiocchi, Prvi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot all are good practice ammo. Personally, I would avoid Steelcase ammunition such as Wolf and Tula. In addition to steel cases, they use a polymer coating, which may leave residue. Such residue may be difficult to clean and might reduce the reliability of your LCP. Graf & Sons has a pretty good selection and good prices. For self defense ammunition Graf sells Fiocchi Extrema(with Hornady XTP bullets) for $15 and it is one the best rated 380 self defense loads. http://www.grafs.com

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
I have and keep a LCP for home protection. My wife, an LCR in 38spl.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either in a home defense situation, both are belly guns and that is what you are likely to find as your shooting distance. Even across the room they are both deadly accurate. I do have larger caliber guns, but they are for carry and target use.

YMMV and I suspect there are many that would disagree, but a .380 will enable a quick double tap and end any home invasion quickly and with as little hearing loss as possible. Congrats on your purchase. BTW, for target shooting I have shot every brand imaginable through this little pistol and it has never jammed. For home defense I have hollow points but can't remember the brand, probably Federal.

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Right now, Horn xtp for sd. May change when they run out. Deal here is that if you carry the gun, you need to clean it every now and then whether you shoot it or not. Limit number of times rechambering of same round (removed for cleaning?) as the bullet WILL eventually get pushed back in case and become a liability. I use same round in chamber,inspecting it each time. Eventually I shoot it and a couple of more. Practice ammo is usually cci brass or monarch(academy sports). Magtech shot well but may be the only stuff too dirty for ME to shoot. Undecided about Perfecta (wally world) after just one box.

Only malfunctions I have is fully chambering of a round every now and then. Manual sez dont slap it home, but I usually just thumb it home. Usually weakened recoil spring or gun needs cleaning/lube. Message is: train for malfunctions for self defense!

Also, read up or take class. SD is very complicated if you don't want to go to jail for defending your castle. Or worse: shooting someone you didn't want to shoot....

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I'll sidestep the ammo question, since the previous replies cover that. Instead, I'll advise you that when you have it on the nitestand to have a bullet in the chamber, and 6 in the mag for 7 shots total. It will avoid having to mess around with racking the slide when you suddenly come awake at 2 am. Also have at least one extra mag handy and fully loaded, just in case.

Some folks will advise you to have at least 4 mags, two of them empty spares so that you can swap them out once a year or so to avoid weakening the mag springs. This isn't as much of an issue with well made modern springs as it was 60 or 70 years ago tho.

The other major part of the HD equation concerns general home security. You need some warning before a bad guy is standing by your bed with a gun pointed at your head. I don't know what your living quarters are like so I can't advise you in any detail at this point. Suggest you contact your local PD/Sheriff or someone knowledgeable in home security. Many PD's will evaluate your situation and recommend improvements for free.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
It's 98% reloads in my LCP, copper plated then Speer 90 grain gold dots.

If you have others, I would step it up some for the 'nightstand gun'.

Cholo

Staff member
ra said:
I have a LCP that I have shot around 500 rounds through and it has never jammed or missed a lick.
I have never fired a factory round in it, I can not help you there. I shoot 100 grain lead RN for practice and Remington Golden Sabre's loaded in it while it rides in my truck center console.

Roger
My LCP has never failed me in about 250+ rounds, but don't you think you might want to run some of those Golden Sabres in it to make sure your LCP likes them?

ra

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
ra said:

Roger
My LCP has never failed me in about 250+ rounds, but don't you think you might want to run some of those Golden Sabres in it to make sure your LCP likes them?

Cholo, I have shot several of the Golden Sabre's through it, they are my reloads. :D

Roger