QUESTIONS- HawkEye & M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I played with a Hawkeye Compact rifle today and wanted to know - what is the difference between this and the M77 Compact? Also- is the barrel thicker on the haweye compared to the M77?

actionflies

Bearcat
Are you referring to the M77 Hawkeye vs. M77 Mark II? Hawkeye is Ruger latest model with new LC6 trigger, slimmer walnut stock, blued matte finish barrel. I think the barrel thickness is the same.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I'm talking about both models- I wanted to know if they were different or the same. What's with the new trigger. ??

358Win

Bearcat
I like the new trigger better. If you owned one of the older Ruger MK II you would notice the difference. Much nicer trigger than in the past.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
So when comparing the M77CR MkII Compact and the new M77 Hawkeye compact - the only difference is the stock and trigger....?? Correct ? Barrel is the same length and diameter!?

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
The new trigger is also on some later MKIIs. If the back of the trigger is hollow it is the new trigger. Ruger will fit the new trigger to a MKII if you want. The only other difference is the Hawkeye has a matte blue and the MKIIs are gloss blue.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Why did ruger discontinue the MKII compact in return for the hawkeye compact? I also really like the frontier and always wanted one in 223....

Pal Val

Buckeye
I bought a Hawkeye Compact in 7mm-08 and fired it last weekend for the first time. After 10 "break-in" shots (cleaned the barrel between each), I started getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with Remington factory loads. For a rifle so light, I find the accuracy to be really good.

The trigger has a tiny bit of creep and breaks at 4 1/2 lbs. A bit heavy for my taste. I imagine it will get better with use.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
The butt pad has changed as well. It is back to red on wood M77 Hawkeye's and that goes for the Compact as well. The Hawkeye is as accurate as any of my other M77's.

The triggers vary on the new Hawkeyes but overall it is better. Usually a lighter spring will fix any stiffness you may feel if you don't like the stock one. Creep is minimal and I don't feel creep when shooting in the field anyway, mostly at the bench.

The Compact has a short LOP but you probably felt that. You will probably have to shop for a MKII if you want one now buy the Hawkeye.

Good shooting Steve

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I have a couple new Hawkeyes in both steel and stainless (I agree the MKII is pretty) but the new ones are growing on me. I can tolerate some poor cosmectics when they shoot well.

Good shooting-Steve

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I've got the wood and matte finish compact hawkeye in 7.62x39. With Wolf Ammo it shoots about 3" groups at 100 yards off the bench. With golden tiger the groups are 1.25". With my handloads just under an inch. These are two 4 shot groups 8 rounds total. Love this handy little rifle.