Questions about Leupold on 77V .25-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rdf009

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a tang safety 77-V .25-06. Previous owner floated the barrel, pillar bedded the stock, etc. I plan to use it for mid to long range (200-500 yard) coyote and groundhog hunting here in Ohio with 75 grain bullets, and hopefully a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming this Summer. It probably will see use for West VA whitetails someday (can't use it on deer in Ohio, but I can for coyotes....figure that one out). I'm also thinking it might be a nice one to take on an antelope hunt.

Right now the rifle has an older 12x fixed power Leupold. It's a nice classic scope with pretty good glass, but for hunting I would much rather have a variable scope.

I have narrowed the options down to these two:

Leupold VX-2 Adjustable Objective 6-18x40 with the Long Range Varmint reticle (about $525 and keep my current rings)

OR

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 (30 mm tube) Side Focus with Varmint Hunters reticle (found one for $650 shipped, plus $70 for new Leupold rings, so I'd have $720 total in the package)

I've never had a VX-3, but I have a few VX-2s that I like a lot. I think that I'd REALLY like the side focus feature of the VX-3, rather than the adjustable objective on the VX-2. The extra couple hundred bucks for the VX-3 isn't really an issue (not that I'm rich....or else I'd be buying a Swarovski Z5), but I want to make sure I'm gonna like the scope before I drop more money on it than the rifle is probably worth. Plus I can sell the 12x fixed power and get a couple hunded back. They seem to be goin for $250-$300.

Here are the questions that I have about the VX-3:

Is anyone using the Varmint Hunters reticle on a .25-06 (or similar), and how does it work with that caliber? All of the reviews that I've seen on it have been for .223s, .22-250s, and .243s.

Is the glass on the VX-3 series REALLY that much better than that of the VX-2s?

How much more convenient is the side focus parallax adjustment in comparison to the adj. obective?

As I said, I don't mind blowing an extra couple hundred bucks........just as long as it's going to be money well spent.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
- Russ

22/45 Fan

Hunter
First, side focus is much more convenient than an AO. I have scopes with both and the difference is significant. Second, if you really plan to deer hunt with it a 4.5X lower power will be more versatile than 6X and the 30 mm tube will give a greater elevation range that can be useful at longer ranges. I expect the optical quality on the VX3 will be a bit better but all Leupolds are so good the difference won't be dramatic.

Contact Leupold about the reticle as I'm sure they have the info needed to use it with a .25-06 and whatever bullet you choose.

wwb

Hunter
I haven't looked through the specific scopes you're considering, but I've looked through 3-9X40 VX2 and VX3 scopes, and I'll be darned if I could tell the difference. And, as said, the side focus is a whole lot easier to use than the AO... especially if you're shooting prone.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
wwb said:
I haven't looked through the specific scopes you're considering, but I've looked through 3-9X40 VX2 and VX3 scopes, and I'll be darned if I could tell the difference. And, as said, the side focus is a whole lot easier to use than the AO... especially if you're shooting prone.
I have had the same experience looking at both models side by side. As an fyi, I just installed the leupold rifleman 30 mm scope rings on a .30-06, and they are excellent. As well as 1/4 the price of their other rings.