Questions about H110 and forcing cone erosion-UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have used Blue Dot, Accurate #9, and H-110 all with good results in a 357mag Winchester '94. Be careful with the Blue Dot near Max. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

M'BOGO

Buckeye
J Miller said:
Oh, and the only reason Keith blew off a chunk of his thumb is a bad balloon head case failed and blew off the loading gate.
With modern cases that wouldn't be a problem.

And if I recall, had ground his black as fine as flour, and was using some heavy .45 rifle slugs. It has also been suggested that they were oversize slugs.

Dale53

Blackhawk
As I recall, Keith suspected that the cases had been shot so much (old balloon head cases) that they had loose primer pockets. It is surmised that one of the cartridges next to the one being fired went off by recoil. At any rate, the top three chambers fired at once (not uncommon - when one chamber lets go it often takes a couple of others). Not a good thing...

FWIW
Dale53

Bucks Owin

Hunter
M'BOGO said:
And if I recall, had ground his black as fine as flour, and was using some heavy .45 rifle slugs. It has also been suggested that they were oversize slugs.
Yeah, I may have forgot, but seems to me they were 457191's for a .45/90? (300 gr w/lube) ahead of 35 grs of BP....(All he could get in the case)

Getting off topic though...please excuse :oops:

Dale53

Blackhawk
Not to beat this subject to death, but I also believe that the Keith revolver was a First Generation Colt. I think that they were pretty tender in general. I suspect he learned something from that, too.

That was pretty early in Keith's career, too.

Dale53

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Dale53 said:
Not to beat this subject to death, but I also believe that the Keith revolver was a First Generation Colt. I think that they were pretty tender in general. I suspect he learned something from that, too.

That was pretty early in Keith's career, too.

Dale53

I recall it was in the '20's, and no telling how old it was, he was definitely a horse/gun trader. And no telling what the metallurgy was, or how many of those rounds he had already fed that pistol.

J Miller

Blackhawk
How about we just can the "as I recall" comments and read what Keith said about it.
Here is a six page article Keith wrote in 69. The .45 Colt comments are on page 5.
Note to Moderators: I checked the Guns & Ammo web site for links to this article. I did not find any. These pages are scans from my copy of the actual 1969 G&A issue. If you think this needs to be deleted, please do so.

EKsFavoriteHandgunloadspg1_web.jpg

EKsFavoriteHandgunloadspg2_web.jpg

EKsFavoriteHandgunloadspg3_web.jpg

EKsFavoriteHandgunloadspg4_web.jpg

EKsFavoriteHandgunloadspg5_web.jpg

EKsFavoriteHandgunloadspg6_web.jpg

Joe