Questions about a case for a 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffj13

Bearcat
Bought my first rifle, a 10/22. I'm sure that I will have lots of questions, but since it didn't come with a case, I'll start there.

Other than the obvious (less damage if you drop it), what are the pros and cons to a hard case vs. a soft case. What is a pillared case? Any advantage to a pillared case vs any other?

Will this case hold a scoped 10/22? http://www.amazon.com/Allen%C2%AE-Ruger ... 34&sr=1-66

Thanks for your help and your patience with a newbie.

jeff

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Hard cases are cheap, lightweight, and allow for other gear bouncing around your trunk to bounce without incidental damage to your gun. Buy some.

Caveat: They are NOT good for storage! the open-cell foam is a sponge for ambient moisture, which will ruin your firearm. Use them for transport.

I like the black ballistic nylon, well padded cases.... much easier to transport and such....

with that said... you got to be careful that a scoped 10/22 will fit just right in the one you chose. and if you plan to put a scope on the rifle, even down the road... that will change on the type of case you buy.

I've got a number of these type rifle cases from an elcho piece of junk from Sportsmans guide to a UTG one that has absolutely the best padding of them all.

A UTG (under the gun) Homeland Security Covert case is on my list.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

For long guns, we generally use hard cases on hunting trips involving several people and one vehicle, cuz something WILL get banged around. Guaranteed!

When traveling alone, I prefer soft cases and try to exercise a little care...

I use foam lined hard cases for all my handguns, and, although it's bad practice, often do use them for extended storage. I first make sure the gun's clean and oiled, though, as they can cause rust as already mentioned. Some of those little dessicant packs are a good thing to keep around when using that style of case for storage.

For soft cases, be sure they're "breathable." This means some kind of fabric outer construction. I don't see as many of 'em today as I used to, but for quite a few years cheap vinyl soft cases were popular for protection from weather. My gunsmith boss loved 'em, cuz they'd hold moisture "in" as well as they did "out" and he could count on a little extra Christmas money each year. Duck hunters were always putting wet guns away in one, then forgetting to take 'em out to let everything dry as soon as they got home. Rebluing was a regular part of our income stream... and we could usually tell just by the calendar and weather when we'd be busiest! ;)

Also watch the padding: most use foam today, which is good and bad. Good in that it protects better from bumps than older materials, but bad in that it doesn't breath as well. The thicker it is, the more you'll notice both effects.

Some case mfrs recommend against storing guns in cases, even the soft ones, but if moisture's not a problem, the fabric style has done me well. A few folks I've known over the years who use 'em for storage suggest leaving the zipper partially open for "breathing" purposes.

Rick C

"Pillared" cases: I think this refers to the lower-end hard cases, typically a molded polyethylene-type product. Not to say that perhaps there are some very high quality "pillared" cases.

The manufacturer molds one or more "pillars" inside the case which help keep the case from getting crushed flat. This keeps the cases lightweight and keeps the cost down (less material) while still maintaining some structural integrity.

Analogy: think of the little plastic thing put in pizza delivery boxes (looks like a little table) to keep the boxes from being crushed when stacked.