Question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fallen

Bearcat
I just got a brand new 10/22 Target Tactical. And as soon as I got it, I couldn't wait to take it out plinking. So I took it out and pushed about 150rounds through it.

...then later while browsing around online about 10/22 I read somewhere that its important to clean the barrel of a 10/22 prior to firing it. Due to some sort of protective coating on the inside of the barrel to provent rust.

I was wondering if anyone knows this to be true? Does it also apply to the Ruger bull barrels, like the one I have? And if you do fire a 10/22 before cleaning the how hard is it to clean it and get it right?

wwb

Hunter
You should clean ANY new rifle prior to firing it... not just the barrel, but the action as well.... clean, inspect, and lubricate.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
All new gun come with oil,dust,metel shaveings,pocket fuzz. Always best to clean a new gun. Always have :D

Don't worry about it...

I've heard that too, but did not on any of the three new Rugers I've bought over the years.... I do remember a lot of smoke coming out of and off of the PC9 carbine the first time I shot it.

Fallen

Bearcat
Thanks for the advise. Im gonna clean/lub it tonight. I didn't think I hurt it, because it shoot very accurate (close follow up shots). But I want to take good care of this rifle, because someday it could save my life. LOL I don't want to come off sounding like an extremist, but this 10/22 is my survivalist/small game rifle. There's a fine line between paraniod and prepared. Never know when you need to leave ths city and hold up in the hills for awhile.

I guess, if that's what you are allowed over on the left coast...

I went back and looked in my photo bucket account and found the following picture from a few years back... it was my Ruger Rifle collection at that time... All 'survival' rifles, at least to me... I think I need to up date the picture.... maybe I'll get to it in the next day or so.

DSC_0161b.jpg

10/22, 10/22, mini-14, mini-30, PC9

Fallen

Bearcat
Excellent collection Blume and thanks for sharing. Actually Im from Nevada and the gun laws aren't very strick here. Concealed and open carry are legal, also there's no ban on Hi-capacity or weapon types. I've got a few other firearms as well. I'll have to take a pic like this and post them up. I just really like the versatility of the 10/22 for small game/survival. You can easily carry 1000rds of 22lr and that's a 1000 chances to eat.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
I only ever run a dry patch down the barrel before shooting a new gun just in case there is something left in there... its unlikely, but possible......

berettapistols

Blackhawk
blume357 is that a PC9/40 with a folder on the far right??
Didn't know they ever made a folder for those rifles??
My good buddy picked one of those up last month CHEAP!!
Nice collection of Rugers

Berettapistols,

Yes, it is a PC9, good eye, and no they did not make them and no body sells a folding stock for them. I did the folder on it myself and love the rifle. I have plans to do another but am torn... I've got another PC9 but I really want to keep one factory, so I need a third before I do this.

That PC9 is my truck and travel rifle along with a KP95.

The folding stock is a Choate folder for a Mossburg 500 shotgun.

If you do a search here on PC9's from a few years ago you might find a better explanation of how I did it.

There is a long bolt in the stock of the PC9 that holds it to the back of the receiver.... if you pull the but pad off you will see it up in there... I think it is probably a 1/2" hex head.... the bolt is fine thread....too this is important to know.

You remove the bolt and the metal reciever part will come out of the stock.... you then cut the stock off about an inch (I think) behind this part.... no going back after that... before you do any of this you need to have the Choate folding stock for the Mossburg 500 in hand.... you then will need a shorter fine thread bolt ... I can't remember the length... it is something like 1.25" I think I had to cut one down and fix the threads... but not sure... the plastic pistol grip on the choate stock comes off... remove it... the part of the choate stock that fits against the cut is metal and has a washer welded to it... to get it to fit tight I heated it up with a propane torch and then pressed it against the cut off rear of the PC9 and put the new bolt on and tightned it up quick... this presses the washer part into the poly of the PC9 stock... the pistol grip part you will have to file/sand carve just a little off the front just behind the trigger guard to get it to fit snug, but his is not that hard...

PC9FS.jpg

Oh and an additional comment about the original post:

Think about it, if shooting a brand new gun with out cleaning it was in anyway dangerous or harmful to the gun... don't you think that Ruger or any manufacturer would have this written down in the owners manual in big red letters somewhere in the first 5 or 6 pages of 'safety' instructions?

I realize the gun might function better if cleaned and properly lubed first.... even though I've never even experienced this... but harmful, I don't think so.