question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
For "normal" production Six Series double actions. The Speed Six is round butt. The Security Six and POLICE Service Six are square butt.

However, rare, uncommon and odd variations have happened.

For example, there are a few factory ROUND butt POLICE Service Six's. I own one. As I understand it, they were built for a law enforcement contract that either wasn't completed or a few guns extra were made.

Tell us more please.
What do you have and/or why do you ask?

Oh, and this has been discussed in other threads too if you want to poke around using the Search feature.

To determine if it is actually a Speed Six frame that was marked Police Service Six you will have to take the grips off and do some measuring. If you have a Speed Six that helps a lot. There have been people that have "rounded" the frames of PSS's for whatever reason. There are several of us that have the Speed Sixes that were marked PSS and we have confirmed that it actually is a Speed Six frame. I lettered my PSS/Speed Six and Ruger acknowledged that it is a Speed Six (GS-34H shipped in 1982) Now this was lettered in 2017 so I probably need to reletter it and send them some more info to see what else they can tell me.