Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

angelribo

Bearcat
I have an older Ruger 22LR automatic that was given to me many years ago. I have lost the magazine to it through multiple moves over the years. I assume it was manufactured in Southport, Connecticut as it has it on the side of the barrel. The serial number is 286380. I have been unsuccessful at finding out information. I wanted to know the model, when it was manufactured and where I might be able to buy replacemnt magazine(s). Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

We love pictures here.

You may have a "Standard Automatic".
Should have a 6 inch or 4.75 inch tapered barrel.
May have come with wood (Walnut) grips.

If so, likely made in 1965.

Did I mention we love pictures here?

Above info courtesy of RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange).

After a couple of days and a few posts you can put a Want To Buy ad in the Classified Section here for the magazine.

angelribo

Bearcat
Here are the pics. Sorry for not doing the obvious. New to this.

Attachments

• Serial Number.jpg
    Serial Number.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Manufacturing Site.jpg
    Manufacturing Site.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
  • Side of Pistol.jpg
    Side of Pistol.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112

hittman

Staff member
That gun will clean up nice.
I use things like Pro Shot Products Silicone Cloth.

Looks like a 6 inch barrel to me.
Either way, great little shooter!
Congrats.

angelribo

Bearcat
Is it a Mark I? Where can I get replacement mag(s)? I do not remember how may rounds the mag held. Do you?

BTW, Thanks so much for the help.

That is a Ruger 1965 RST-6 (Standard). It has the 6" barrel. The correct magazine has a chrome metal bottom, with the button on the right side, no slot on the left side, and is designed for the A54 grip frame. You can use the newer mags from 1970 (A-100 grip frame) Standard/ MK I, and later MK II's, just need to move the button to the right side.

Personally I stick with the correct magazine style that the pistol came with originally. Others use whatever they can get.

hittman

Staff member
I think they held 9 rounds.
Later versions of that gun held 10.

On-line or our Classified Section is best bet for magazines.
Maybe Numrich?
Somebody is looking for these now here I think.

eveled

Hawkeye
Buy a replacement mk2 magazine. They are readily available almost everwhere. Midway, CDNN, Brownells, etc.

Then disassemble it and move the button to the oposite side.

No need to track down a period correct OEM magazine. Its condition makes it a user not a collectable. Please find an oily rag and wipe it down. Lol.

BTW welcome to the forum.

the "standard auto" either in 4 5/8 inch or the longer 6 in. are NOT Mark I , Mark I is a target model, and has adjustable sights, as well as longer or more thicker, heavier barrels, like 5 1/4 in, 5 1/2 inch or 6 7/8 on...the 5 1/4 and 6 7/8 inch barrels are tapered, the 5.5 is a bull barrel and all of these will be rollmarked "Mark I" on the side of the receiver, the "standard auto" are NOT...as noted above much easier , and cheaper to find the newer made Mark II or even the Mark I that has the "new" plastic bottom, current manufacture........

oGngrozm.jpg

:cool::rolleyes:;)

Current version of the MKI (RST) magazines are available on shopruger.com but are rather costly, $32.95 plus tax and shipping. Original magazines can be found on eBay and other websites and run around $100. You might want to keep looking for the magazine that came with the pistol.

As mentioned above, a MKII magazine is a good alternative. You should be able to get one for around $25 at a local gun store or on eBay as well.

Good luck!

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
That gun will clean up nice.
I use things like Pro Shot Products Silicone Cloth.

Looks like a 6 inch barrel to me.
Either way, great little shooter!
Congrats.
4-0 steel wool.....Ballistol coated rag & gun.....GENTLY remove rust. Rub lightly on Ballistol coated/soaked surface.
LOL