Question SR-556 serial number

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cluelesspa

Bearcat
deadduck357":38pf8qo7 said:
Mine is identical to yours

Actually mine is slightly different.
here is yours from your previous link on the other thread to your image shack folder (see the top is slightly different just near the opening):
32679726.jpg

and here is mine (seems like they smoothed out the transition on the top):
690e13f8.jpg

040a5afb.jpg

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
cluelesspa":1r9pcs6q said:
deadduck357":1r9pcs6q said:
Mine is identical to yours

Actually mine is slightly different.
here is yours from your previous link on the other thread to your image shack folder (see the top is slightly different just near the opening):
32679726.jpg

and here is mine (seems like they smoothed out the transition on the top):
690e13f8.jpg

040a5afb.jpg

I dont see the difference your referring to.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
this area:
690e13f8-1.jpg

I will double check this weekend when I get a chance. the back side looks like your picture but the front side is smoothed out. I took pics this AM but they were of the back side which looks like your picture does in that area (a raised area).

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
Well, I've been suspecting this. Apparently Ruger has a few different carriers and bolts floating around. My carrier does not look like what has been posted here.

I apologize for the grease, I didn't feel like cleaning things up for pictures. Note the difference around where the key is.

P.S. my S/N is 590-00XXX

BCG-1.jpg

BCG-2.jpg

cluelesspa

Bearcat
SIGWatchman":oodlg4t5 said:
Well, I've been suspecting this. Apparently Ruger has a few different carriers and bolts floating around. My carrier does not look like what has been posted here.

I apologize for the grease, I didn't feel like cleaning things up for pictures. Note the difference around where the key is.

P.S. my S/N is 590-00XXX

when did you buy yours? it definitely looks different. looks like the improved the carriers ...

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
Purchase date 7/25/2009. It was sitting on the rack for a week before I purchased and it was maybe two weeks prior that I visited the same store. My assumption is the store had it on their rack some time early July or maybe at the latest the last days of June.

chet15

Hawkeye
cluelesspa":36jylfsa said:

Hmm...looks like that serial number prefix was originally 500-, then was overstamped with a nine over the 2nd digit space. Note that the prefix appears to be marked on the gun as the receiver is cast, along with the rest of the receiver rollmarks, then the rest of the serial number after the prefix is put on later.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
cluelesspa":6qy3d44m said:
so it is strange....

there has to be some order to the serial numbers but I dont see it. I wonder if they prebuilt a ton of SR-556's and then shipped them out in random lots so that the serial numbers were jumbled...

Ruger had well over 10,000 of them built before they were even announced at the SHOT show.
Chet15

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Wife's 590-11xxx just purchased 092509---seems to be a nice rifle although a bit too tactical for my tastes-maybe they will bring out a hunting version without all the rail stuff. TnTnTn

cluelesspa

Bearcat
TnTnTn":2b8mr40u said:
Wife's 590-11xxx just purchased 092509---seems to be a nice rifle although a bit too tactical for my tastes-maybe they will bring out a hunting version without all the rail stuff. TnTnTn

cool did hers come with the later carrier group? there are pics on here of the 3 types. one with no additional material, one with looks like 2 sections added, and one with a smooth single section added...